Revision TKR TKR revision

Good luck with it!

And what better way to start than with:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

We are all different, as are the approaches to recovery. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart will offer advice and are there to help. The advice may vary, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good luck with your surgery. Can I ask what symptoms you experienced? I just had xray, at it showed the prosthetic may have loosened.

Surgery went well. There were things the surgeon wasn’t expecting but he’s confident that I’ll walk normally again.
Good luck with your surgery. Can I ask what symptoms you experienced? I just had xray, at it showed the prosthetic may have loosened.
I had valgus knee on the surgery knee. The joint wasn’t stable - I couldn’t stand on that leg without support. It moved a lot - rolling over in bed I could feel it shifting.

You have already been given The Guidelines. I hope you've read through them. Now is the time to focus on you and the knee. Ice and elevation along with medication are just about all that you should be doing. Occasionally moving about through the house, etc.

I’m a few days out from surgery and things are going well over all. My surgeon told me that I already had soft bone and he had to do a bone graft. My original surgery was December 7, 2021. Has anyone else has this issue so soon after the original TKR? The first implant was placed incorrectly so I’m wondering if that may have contributed to the degeneration. This scares me as you can probably imagine.
So far in recovery, it’s more painful than the original surgery but things seem to be progressing.

If you clink on this prefix on the the knee recovery page:
1656678565910.png
you can read threads from others that had to have a revision.

I'm sorry you're having more pain. Be sure to treat your new baby like an infant cause it is! Ice, elevate and rest as much as you can.

I’m in considerable more pain in the mid tibia than I was a few days ago. Has anyone had a similar experience with a revision TKR? Surgery was last Monday, June 27. It hurts the most when I’m walking. I’m doing a few pt exercises but I only get discomfort with those.

Last edited:
I haven't had a revision, but even with my TKR my tibia has been very painful off and on. When it acts up, I just slow down, ice it and rest. We have read of many that have this same pain. It's all part of the surgery and healing process.

Thanks for that info. I expected more pain because of the difference in the implant and the longer stem going down into the tibia. This is pretty intense and surprises me at times. Feels like the bone is breaking, honestly. It’s better at the moment, maybe because I took my meds recently. I’m not doing any extra walking, just the necessary bathroom breaks. Lots of rest today!

I have had a revision, two and you feel all sorts of things. You are so early in your recovery you just need to focus on elevation, medication and ice. Of course get up and very slowly wander through the house with the walker - then right back down.

Are you taking your pain medication on a schedule? If not you need to be so your not in pain. Set an alarm and take it per the instructions. That should help also.

I am taking my meds on schedule and have started setting a reminder because I forgot a dose a few days ago. That was a bad afternoon! Thanks for the insight and advice!

For those that needed a revision due to injury, did you -know- when you injured it? Could you walk normally, ride a bike, swim, extreme swelling etc? Was it fairly obvious, or did you have some pain but were surprised when told it dislodged? Thanks

Tower6brkrs, my revision wasn’t due to injury. It was due to the initial TKR being done incorrectly. It never worked correctly and was noticeably loose for at least two-three months. Good luck with your issues and hope you get some answers.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks