TKR on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be a smiling, happy beast when he's on the other side! :). Good luck! :)
 
Hi just checking in to see how you made out. I am sure you did terrific. Just thinking of ya and wanted you to know that............Can wait to talk again soon........Hang in ther...........Kim
 
:cry: Hi everyone! I made it through the surgery with flying colors....now the recovery begins. I had to spend extra time in the hospital for a bladder infection. Made it home Sat. night. :rant:I hurt, I hurt, I hurt! Did I say I hurt, cuz I do! I knew that it was going to be bad but... I cry! My husband is being so great! He helps me unconditionally!

By the way Judles, I am a she. Got thebeast stuck to me by my cheerleading squad several years ago. They said, "Mrs. Robertson, we love you but you are so tough we decided that you are The Beast"!!

Anyway, I don't eat, I am not sleeping well, and I cry! How long will this pity party last?
 
Welcome home Beast,

As Jo would say, "How long is a piece of string". All pity parties last different lengths, but we all had them, and not eating and not sleeping were all part of them, but good news is it does pass and the tears become less, but no harm in crying. Best wishes to you, hope you are keeping up with your pain medication because that goes a long way to help along with ice and elevate (well someone had to say it) :)

Take care and all the very best to you.
 
I had a lot of pity parties. I didnt eat. Honestly, I was about 2 weeks (thats just me) then it really gets better. It is worth it. I know its hard but hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. For your husband that is great. Unconditional you cant beat that. My husband saw things oh boy..but he was the same. Hope you feel better soon. Post anytime.....Kim
 
Hi Beast! Thanks for correcting me as to gender,,,,,,whoops! At any rate, so glad you're on the other side! It really WILL get better every day from now on!!! The best is yet to come! And you sound much too sweet to be a beast!! :)
 
Beast, so great to hear you are on THIS side of surgery!!! Let the healing begin! I know, I know....you're saying how the heck can you heal when you hurt like a son-of-a-gun.....you will...promise! Now, as Chris said...be sure and take your pain meds on schedule all day and night, take stool softeners so you don't get a whole other problem, ice, elevate and do at least some exercise and movement each day. If all else fails, write down how you are doing each day and I guarantee that in a week or two you'll be surprised to look back and see how much progress you've made.
 
We only allow pity parties on Mondays! Now get the negative stuff out of your system and feel better! Give yourself more TIME!!! :)
 
It will get better, The Beast. Today makes a month since my surgery. The time has not flown by. And it has not been without its downs. Still, there are many more ups and they have made themselves known over the last week or so. You will hurt for awhile, but the pain lessens each day. Physical therapy will cause pain. You know, of course, that all of the recovery pain is worth it because we will all soon be pain-free.

I haven't cried much. I have thrown a few pity parties. I was the only attendee. I'll be totally blunt. I went off the pain meds after about two weeks. Doing so allowed me to get my appetite back. And that allowed me to have a glass of wine before bed, thus improving my sleep.
 
Hello Beast

The first few days are the worst. I remember thinking shortly after my first TKR that I shouldn't have had it done - after all, it is surgery that we choose to have done, it's not forced upon us. However, I'm just so glad now that I did.

Just make sure that you take enough pain killers. I found out the hard way that you just must do that. It will get better - honestly!

I've got to own up to the odd glass of wine, even though I've still been taking paracetamol (tylenol?) and/or ibuprofen. I had no intention of driving anywhere and wanted to be sociable like everyone else!

Keep us posted.
 
Hi Everyone! I am doing better today! The pain is still there but, I can tolerate it more. Has anyone ever had the honor of getting a pressure sore on the heel of the surgical leg? I have one. It has slowed down some of my therapy exercises and got me a bit down (got it while still in the hospital), but I hope that the things they are doing for it will quickly heal it and I can forge onward with the therapy.

Thanks for being here, guys!
 
Oh so sorry about that. Dont let it get you down. Just a lil road bump that will make you stronger. But I do understand. Hang in there. Just relax and take it easy...Hope you feel better soon............
 
To prevent the sore you need to put such as a wash cloth under your foot. you can also get them on the toes from the sheets rubbing on them. The nurse told me about this.
 
:wink: o.k. i had my rtkr on monday. i am a 58 yr old female, active, tennis player, who spent over a year trying all non invasive remedies. i chose an experienced doc, who went with otis custom fit, stryer triathalon knee. 8:15 apt. at pre-op. They put in the i.v., gave me spinal anethesia, and i was in my room by 1 p.m. after surgery, morphine, onQ drip to knee, and oxycodone. Don't remember anything after seeing operating room lights. I had no problems with spinal --they have improved greatly. The first night nurses hooked me up with Cpm machine and i was out of it. Tues was better, pt started in the hospital, compression stockings put on, I started getting up right away --pain wasn't so bad. Oxycodone made me so drowsy, I decided to discontinue on wed eve. knee was stiff, hurt but not too bad. Finally home on Thurs. a.m. --walking better, 90 degree rom --it gets better every day. (sorry for the long post) Taking tylenol arthritis --until pt starts next week
Go for it!
 
Hi Beesknees I am so happy everything went well. Take it easy though it was a big operation, but you know that. Dont worry about the post we love hereing from you. Post anytime with questions. Just rest, ice, and medicine. I hope you continue your progress. Keep us posted......Do you have anyone there to help you ?......CONGRADULATIONS!!! Kim
 
Beeskness, if you stopped the oxycodone, what are you taking for your pain?
 
i take arthritis tylenol and then next week probably darvocet 1 hour before pt on wed. and friday. i am taking it slow --luckily baseball is on t.v.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom