TKR TKR on 8/8/22

Had my first post op appointment today and had the opportunity to see the new implant on X-ray. Never seen a tibia component like this n all the pictures I’ve seen. Anyone know who the maker is?

Attachments

• DA0B7219-AE24-4EFD-893E-28EB4A25DBF4.png
    DA0B7219-AE24-4EFD-893E-28EB4A25DBF4.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 61
R2R Your knee/leg looks great! I'm day 14 and my ankle and lower leg is much more swollen. Every day I am hoping to turn that corner! The area around my knee is very firm and doesn't feel normal. I have regained some of the feeling in my lower leg. It isn't as numb. I have started to have better pain control during the day but need something in the evening and night. My doctor said to take the narcotic pain medicine until 9/14 and then we will evaluate.

I have this sick feeling my surgeon over stuffed my implant or scar tissue has set in super fast. It just doesn’t seem right it feels so tight when I try and bend. I can sit in a chair and get to near 90 degrees without much force anymore but just can’t get beyond that.

Please don’t worry about “scar tissue” setting in super fast. It rarely does that. And your surgeon has not over stuffed the area. You are in the very early weeks of a year long recovery, and what you are feeling is completely normal.

What you are feeling is swelling and soft tissues that are very upset from the surgical procedure. All will be well in time.

I also suspect others are telling you all kinds of myths about this recovery, as most of us have heard them all. That’s all they are, myths.

Please try to relax, you’re going to be fine. But it will take time.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Hi @R2R
Please try not to worry so soon into the healing process. Allow time for all to ease and fall into place, as it will. I hope you have a peaceful Sunday and relaxing week to come.
A little message to our friend Flashlight below.

@Flashlight
Here is a link to a recovery thread we started for you to tell us more about yourself and share updates on your progress that you will enjoy reflecting back on at a later date. Hope to hear from you soon.
Flashlight's Recovery

Reactions: shr
I can sit in a chair and get to near 90 degrees without much force anymore but just can’t get beyond that.
Please don't worry! It will get better and you don't need to force anything.

I was at the same place you are when I was 4 weeks post-op and I was so worried I would never bend more. But I listened to the advice on this forum about giving the swelling time to go down. My progress came slowly over the months, but it did come -- and it did it without any forceful bending.

Here I am, almost one-year post-op and I can bend past 130 -- that's better than I could do before surgery and it's even better than my other knee!

R2R, that’s exactly what I feel when trying to bend. So much tightness and pressure like it’s just going to burst. I’m reading all your comments along with mine and trying to take them to heart. I’m 3-1/2 weeks out and have all the scary deadlines being pushed on me too. I’m only at 80 degrees flexion. But I am encouraged by so many people’s journeys on here, like benne68, who got their full range of motion back over time. I decided to stop forcing it and just keep gently stretching and moving it. I’ll be interested to see how your recovery goes! Best of luck

Thank you all for your encouraging words. JusticeRider are you doing physical therapy?

Hi R2R, yes I’m doing pt twice a week. Everything else they’ve had me do has felt fine and has been totally doable. But the knee flexion was the one thing that wasn’t working. They and my surgeon both said I needed to push it harder and I let them force it to bend further for two sessions to the point I was yelling in pain. But after talking to the people in this group, I decided I really didn’t want to do it that way anymore. I told my pt today that I wasn’t going to push past discomfort into pain and I didn’t want to measure it for a while or worry about it. And they totally respected that and were on board! So glad I found this group! And so glad I have a good pt! So I’ll continue with pt and we will just stop stressing about my flexion and let my body heal in it’s own way.

When I go to therapy they push me to the point it is a little uncomfortable and it actually feels loosened up when my session is done and I walk pretty well. The problem is that after a bit my quad area becomes so hard and tight it just drives me nuts

Hi there new to this group after stumbling upon it via Google and glad did because I need my mind put at ease. I had my replacement done 12 days ago and started physical therapy 2 days after. I thought it went well the first day but now that I have went 4 times since I feel I’m being pushed to hard because it has been making me hurt more then when I go. I mean at the time they have me stretched out and I think well I am making progress but later into the evening i suffer.They already have me off the walker and on a cane as of yesterday but I feel it’s too quick. It’s said that scar tissue sets in so I am expected to be at a flex rom of 90 degrees at 2 weeks and 115 by the 4th week so I’m torn with what I should do. My mindset the first couple days post op was that I had major surgery so I should take it easy for the first few weeks let things to calm down and then I’ll be able to do more but they have it in my head that I need push to get my rom before the scar tissue starts to sets in. I’ve been able to get to 90 degrees for over a week now if I bend it as far as I can but I can’t seem to get past that. It has my mind spinning on should I keep trying so scar tissue doesn’t set in (even though I’m not getting anywhere) or do I give it a break?
What does your surgeon say about it?

When I go to therapy they push me to the point it is a little uncomfortable and it actually feels loosened up when my session is done and I walk pretty well. The problem is that after a bit my quad area becomes so hard and tight it just drives me nuts
Nothing gained if it’s not a “little uncomfortable”…
And a little uncomfortable is not bad at all. Some PT’s hurt people, and often bad!!!! I fired one for it.

Are you doing your own exercises at home on the days in between PT, and weekends? Speaking for myself only, I found I did better at PT by diligently doing my home PT. Also, and again as a personal preference, at home following my exercises I go into the hot tub for 20 minutes and when I get out I ice it for 15 minutes, pull on my knee compression and the stress of exercising is gone. At two months I’m driving my dump truck, operating my bull dozer and brush hogging acres of my land….

I’m a big fan of smart PT…..uncomfortable yes, painful NO…..I say tell the PT what you want and what you expect and fire them if they don’t listen….

Just my 2 cents……

I hate to hear about aggressive pt and scare tactics. I'm living proof that you need to rest and heal your knee in the early weeks. I had an aggressive therapist a week post op and just said no thanks and left during first appt.
Waited about 3-4 weeks and searched for less aggressive pt. They were great and never measured ROM. I have full ROM, had a good recovery.
Listen to the advisors on Bonesmart. They know their stuff!
Full ROM on my knee that hasn’t been operated on is 3* hyperextension and I can touch my azz with my foot. What do you consider “full ROM” to be????

Ask your doctor was your implant's limit is. That is what will limit you after you are all healed and the swelling is gone. I don't believe anyone can expect an artificial joint to be as good as a healthy joint. My goal was to be able to do the things I wanted to do again and I'm there. I don't care if I can touch my butt with it. I never would anyway. :heehee: I recently back from vacation last week and I hiked in the mountains for over 31 miles in just 4 days. My TKR knee did great. My old knee is what fussed! I think being able to do the things we love to do is what most of us are looking for.

@Montecresto
Not sure what the numbers are, but I can extend it straight out and bend it to where it almost touches my butt. Its strong, doesn't hurt and has helped support the other one for 4 years.

Nothing gained if it’s not a “little uncomfortable”…
And a little uncomfortable is not bad at all. Some PT’s hurt people, and often bad!!!! I fired one for it.

Are you doing your own exercises at home on the days in between PT, and weekends? Speaking for myself only, I found I did better at PT by diligently doing my home PT. Also, and again as a personal preference, at home following my exercises I go into the hot tub for 20 minutes and when I get out I ice it for 15 minutes, pull on my knee compression and the stress of exercising is gone. At two months I’m driving my dump truck, operating my bull dozer and brush hogging acres of my land….

I’m a big fan of smart PT…..uncomfortable yes, painful NO…..I say tell the PT what you want and what you expect and fire them if they don’t listen….

Just my 2 cents……
When was your surgery? Also I my home exercises I was told to do wasn’t getting me anywhere because I could only get my knee to want to go so far. I wish I owned a stationary bike

My surgery was June 28th

Sorry you’re getting nothing out of your home exercises. I’ve been greatly benefitted by them…
But it is amazing how things can be so different one person to another…

Stationary bikes aren’t really that expensive if you get one without the bells and whistles…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dwshetterly
Recent bookmarks