Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR left

In my personal experience you are just about normal for 2 months into a 12-18 month recovery @denn. The good news is the orthopedic pain is gone, and with some time and patience, the other pains will fade as well. This recovery is slower than any of us would like, but there really is a light at the end of your tunnel.
 
I'm still a tad worried that this problem will not be going away. My leg wouldn't straighten long before my TKR and it seems like it won't straighten again.
I have severe pains when I get out the chair, the same pains I had before TKR. I'm finding it difficult walking, one leg is straight whilst this one is bent. I walk with a limp which is bringing my hip to start giving me problems.
I have tried all methods to straighten it but nothing helps. I have tried the exercises physio gave me but nothing helps. I fear that if I wait I will not be able to straighten it in the future. I can't even use the exercise bike in the Gym as my leg will not lift high enough to peddle. The stiffness is unbearable.
Denn.
 
Last edited:
I was 4 degrees from straight at a year @denn, but I’m now 1 degree past straight. Patience and time will get you there.
 
I'm getting mixed messages from here and from the surgeons team.
I rang them this morning and received a call an hour later. My surgeon wasn't available but I spoke to another who is on that team. After explaining my problems his reply was, I have to keep it moving else I will be left with a knee that will not straighten. One of the cures was to sedate me and and straighten it manually. That I don't want.
The email I was sent shows several diagrams to get it more flexible, one is using a gym cycle but, my knee will not allow me to. Looks like its back to the ice treatment.
 
When does your knee feel less painful - after exercises or after icing and elevating? You have to go with what’s best for YOU! Everyone and every knee is different. If icing and elevating feels better, I would go with that for a while. Try to relax - the worry isn’t going to help you. Many members here had ROM problems clear into a year, but they resolved in time.
 
I'm getting mixed messages from here and from the surgeons team.
People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

It is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through painful PT, or the BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers. :flwrysmile:
 
I visit the Gym regularly and do more leg work than weights. I also row but cannot cycle.
In have tried numerous exercises in order to get this leg straight but it seems I'm flogging a dead horse.
My leg still hurts and my knee will not straighten without severe discomfort. Stiffness is still a problem after rising from a chair. As for the cycle, my leg will not raise enough to peddle, I have tried and tried but it hurts so much when I try to cycle. I'm beginning to wonder if the leg will ever straighten as it was like this long before the TKR.
I'm patient enough to see if this will ever straighten and give me enough flex to ride a bike but I am becoming a tad worried. I get no pain after a Gym session just stiffness when rising from a chair.

Denn
 
Have you tried walking with a longer than normal stride, with a heel-to-toe gait? That helped my extension to improve. It didn't happen overnight, but it did get much better. Now, I'm perfectly straight. It took around 2 years to get there.
 
We also recommend a really good PT program that you can join through Bonesmart. I am using it myself and am pleased with the outcome. You have your own personal therapist who customizes your exercises. OneStep.
1627572736473.png
 
Last edited:
Good evening, just an update since my last moan.
I still get stiffness when rising from a chair but, no pain when walking. I couldn't straighten my leg, this hindered me when walking. I contacted the surgeons team but no luck. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me what the problem was. I just explained about the bend and I can't straighten it, he asked if I had been doing my exercises to which I had. He asked me to sit on the floor and press down on my knee, or if I can't do that, put my leg up on a stool and place a weight on a rope or chord to weigh down my knee until the pain gets too much. I have to do this twice a day. I must admit it has sort of eased and made my knee more flexible.
 
Hi all.
I'm 18months since my left knee was replaced but it doesn't seem to be as successful as my right. I did however show concern about my leg not straightening as i'd like it to have done. I never went as straight as my right knee to which many n here said it would.
I go to the Gym three times a week and have had no problems with a cross trainer, I spend twenty mins on there. One machine I never could do is the bike. I could never raise my knee enough to complete the cycle so I gave that up immediately. I have struggled lifting my leg to get into shorts but accepted it was part of the op.
I have struggled in bed with this knee, the stiffness has been painful but again it allowed me to walk without pain. Now my knee is giving me a few problems which i'm finding walking difficult and climbing up and down stairs. I'm back to elevating and icing. I'm just wondering if I could have twisted it without knowing? Something isn't right but before I contact surgeon I thought some on here could have encountered what I'm going through.
Kind regards Denn
 
Hello Denn.
Each recovery is different even with the same person, but it's understandable that you'd compare the two.
While eighteen months may feel like a long time, I believe you will continue to notice improvement through out this year and possibly even into the next year, as many do. Given your gym activity, there is a possibility that you aggravated your knee causing some inflammation. Consider stepping away from the gym for a time and see if rest, icing and elevation bring you any relief. If not, you can always contact your surgeon's office for direction.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@denn
 
I agree with Layla. Give your knee a rest for about a month and see if it improves. That doesn't mean not doing anything, but doing things that are your normal daily activities without the stress of the gym on your knee. If you don't see improvement, then I think it's time to search for a revision specialist. He/she would need to be no one connected with your current OS, not even socially. That means you'd probably have to travel a way to someone new, but you need someone with brand new eyes to look at it.
I could never raise my knee enough to complete the cycle so I gave that up immediately.
I don't understand. Does this mean your knee won't bend enough or that your hip won't let you raise your knee?
I'm just wondering if I could have twisted it without knowing?
Oh yes. I would sometimes wake up in the morning with new pain and not knowing why. It's very possible that I moved it the wrong way during the night and you might have, too. But, your knee would be getting better as time goes on, not worse.
 
Thank you for your kind replies.
Yes, the bike. I cannot use it as my knee won't rise hight enough to peddle. Dressing myself is a work of art, jeans are an almost impossibility to put on whilst shorts are as difficult.

One of the most frustration of TKR is kneeling up. Both knees still hurt if I try to do so. Sitting back on the haunches is impossible.
 
I'm still a tad worried that this problem will not be going away. My leg wouldn't straighten long before my TKR and it seems like it won't straighten again.
I have severe pains when I get out the chair, the same pains I had before TKR. I'm finding it difficult walking, one leg is straight whilst this one is bent. I walk with a limp which is bringing my hip to start giving me problems.
I have tried all methods to straighten it but nothing helps. I have tried the exercises physio gave me but nothing helps. I fear that if I wait I will not be able to straighten it in the future. I can't even use the exercise bike in the Gym as my leg will not lift high enough to peddle. The stiffness is unbearable.
Denn.
@denn raise the bike seat and start with rocking the pedals.
Good Luck
 
@denn raise the bike seat and start with rocking the pedals
This worked for me, raising the seat one notch and I was able to do rotations both forward and backward which I couldn't do for weeks, it felt like such a huge accomplishment.
You got this, slow and steady.
 
@denn besides raising & lower the bike seat, rocking the pedals, go to a grocery store and push a cart while saying heel, toe. Both of these worked well for me.
Not that I don't have similar problems as you, these 2 worked for me.
 
Sitting back on the haunches is impossible.
I don't know of anyone who can do this after a TKR. I wouldn't even attempt to try it if it was me.
 
Back
Top Bottom