Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR left

Your physio and your surgeon are both wrong. Read the stories on this forum. Many, MANY folks increased their bend even into the 2nd YEAR! That “window of opportunity “ nonsense is just that - nonsense. Don’t obsess with your range. Rest the knee, get the swelling down and you will see improvement.
 
The physio told me what my surgeon told me, it's around six months to get the flex and after that it's too late.
Your flex can, and most likely will, continue to improve way after that. My ROM improved in my second, and even my third year post op.
 
Hi all, just a quick update.
Not too sure what's happening but, I cannot walk without severe discomfort. Each time i bend and straighten my leg the pain is unbearable. I have tried with my leg aloft with ice but I cannot stand the pain. I had to put a plaster at the bottom of my knee, it began to bleed a little. I go to see the surgeons team in a week, not too sure what he will say. Last knee replacement I went to see them after five weeks and everything was perfect, I walked no problem.
As it currently stands, my knee is bent and when i walk the pressure on my hip is massive. I'm walking like a penguin which has began to worry me big time. Can anyone shine any light as to what this could be? It's as if the new joint is too large for the area it is fitted, it's very painful.

Kind regards Dennis
 
Is there any way you can get your appointment moved up? Call the OS’s office and let them know about the severe pain.
 
Did you start any new exercises or movements that could explain your increased pain? Did you stumble and stress your knee? Do you have any explanation for it?
 
Hi Denn,
I’m sorry that you’re experiencing so much pain. I agree with trying to get an early appointment.
 
Hi Denn i too am new to this forum but please listen to the great advice and knowledge they have on here. I agree you may need a earlier appointment with your OS just to give you a little piece of mind. I had no idea about recovery and swelling which is the big issue for lack of movement and discomfort. I hope everything goes well.
 
It's Bank Holiday here in the UK so I very much doubt I would get another appointment sooner. My appointment is 7th June which isn't far off.
It seems as if I have taken one step forward and three back. I have to use the crutches again as my knee is giving me so much trouble. I'm struggling to get dressed in the mornings, I can't lift my leg more than a few inches to get into shorts, I can't straighten my knee and I'm walking like a penguin. There only seems a slight swelling but, the problem seems as if something they put inside my knee feels to large for that area,
I have reverted back to elevation and ice but even that offers no relief. I have one group saying i need to get back in gym and others saying rest it.
Kind regards Dennis.
 
Well, the BoneSmart way is to rest, ice and elevate. It has worked for countless people. So I guess, in the end, you have to jump off the fence in one direction or the other, but I would give rest a shot before diving into activity that could set you back further.
 
You are barely a month out of surgery, and everything you just describes is exactly how I was at this point.

I have reverted back to elevation and ice
It is way too early to have stopped those things. Pain at this stage is par for the course, and you need to address it.
 
Week 1
Just walking around the house - trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Be up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it
A 5-6 minute walk every 3-4 hours is plenty
Spend most of your time resting and elevating

Week 2 - add this to previous instructions in Week 1
Start on a plan of walks around the house 3-4 times a day for about 5 minutes but don't
a) get obsessive about it
b) get into too much pain and
c) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.


Week 3 - add to all the previous
Lengthen the walks to about 5-10 minutes as before
Activity: prepare yourself a small meal or a snack


Weeks 4 and 5 - add to all the previous
Increase walks to out in the garden or street; to 20mins or longer if you feel up to it bt don't forget that means 10mins there and 10mins back!
 
I'm now six weeks into TKR and this knee is no where near the progress my right knee was at this stage.
I dread getting from a chair, the stiffness is worse than before it was done. I have tried walking but I'm struggling doing so. I have a lot of questions to ask the surgeons team on Monday, some expressing my current problems. My scar also is no where as neat as my left leg, this looks like it's been done with a knife and fork, not happy one bit with this knee. I'm now wishing I'd never had it done.
 
My scar also is no where as neat as my left leg, this looks like it's been done with a knife and fork,
This scar is only 6 weeks old, it will look like the other one in time.

Every recovery is different, even on the same person. You are still very early in recovery, you will improve with time.
 
My latest TKR - Left, is not recovering nearly as well as my R, and they were only 8 weeks apart.
 
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am 6 weeks out from surgery also. I am in the same predicament: afraid to sit in a chair because getting up is painful. Sometimes I can walk. Sometimes I struggle. I keep long pants on just so I don't see my horrific scar. Everything hurts. Putting pants on...taking pants off.. getting up...going to the bathroom. I certainly feel bad for both of us. Keep posting though. There are some wonderful people with good advice. I'm glad I found it. Good luck to you.
 
It is not too late after six months to gain flexion. Have you read the articles Bonesmart provides? Don't be discouraged. It is so normal to get depressed after this surgery. Take care.
 
Denn, good luck at your appointment tomorrow, I hope you get some relief. Take care.
 
Good evening forum.
I saw the Surgeons team, well, two of them. They were happy with the progress but somewhat alarmed that the physio had told me to return to Gym, and especially telling me to do leg presses. I was told to keep the crutches and maybe use one to stabilise me when walking. Do short walks and if you feel comfortable enough try walking without sticks.

I asked about the apixaban tablets, apparently they was given after an ECG as they found some irregularity. This got me a bit worried and I was told to contact my GP as they had already notified him.

I rang the Surgery on my arrival home, it took a couple of hours before he telephoned me. What he said has scared me to a point of fret alarm. He said I was on apixaban because i had Atrial fibrillation after surgery. Usually these are for indefinite period unless risk for bleeding outweighs advantages of these in preventing stroke. He told me I am high risk to them??.

I have had problems with my GP before where he makes a mountain out of a molehill. He really has made me physically ill with worry. Also he tells me be very careful on your feet and make sure you don't fall or cut yourself. I never thought I was this bad as the ECG only seemed to have picked up this on the final one I had. I did sharply intake by my nose which seemed blocked during that particular ECG. I thought that was the reason for the irregularity, obviously not.

A letter to the cardiology dept has been sent but, as yet they haven't contacted me as yet. All I got on his parting call was good luck and take care.
Dennis.
 
Hi Denn!

I had both knees done at the same time 15 weeks ago.

The best advice I can give you is that it's like I have two completely different legs! The right one is lagging behind the left one. They each have different pains but the one thing they have in common is they both work REALLY well in comparison to before surgery!

Rest assured that there are limitless resources out there for you to get some information from. This is obviously a great place to start.

I was on a blood thinner for 21 days after surgery. There is a history of blood clots in my family. I always take an 81 mg aspirin everyday to help with clotting, etc. I had a blood clot after a knee scope some 20 odd years ago.

You aren't old yet so do what you can to make sure you can enjoy the new knees!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom