Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR left

I is a worry though. I can't even lift my leg high enough to put shorts on and my fear is I could leave it too long before the knee sets and it stays like this.
 
Oh, Denn, please don’t worry about this. You just had major surgery 8 days ago, your leg is very upset from all the trauma done to it during this surgery. I couldn’t lift my leg by myself for a couple of weeks, it’s very normal for that to happen. That ability will come back. Your knee will not set and stay like this.

The worst thing you can do right now is try to force things along, that will only further upset your knee/leg. Rest, ice, elevate, and try to relax.
 
Thank you so much. Yes, I will be icing an a short while Thanks again for your kind words.
 
No need to rush for range of motion (ROM) so soon @denn. Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
My dressing isn't being removed or replaced until Monday 10th May, not too sure if I'm prone to infection as the covering seems quite bloodied.
That's all old blood on the dressing, from the first day after surgery.
It's a good sign that there's no fresh bleeding.
my main fear is I can’t bend it without severe pain. Maybe I’m trying too hard on that.
Yes, you're trying too hard. Your knee isn't ready to bend any further right now, so don't try to force it. Internal and external swelling are physically preventing it from bending. As the swelling goes down, your knee will naturally bend more.
my fear is I could leave it too long before the knee sets and it stays like this.
So, they've fed you that hoary old myth! Your knee isn't going to set if you don't achieve a good bend quickly.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Denn:
Please, please be patient with yourself. Your body has been assautled with your surgeon's saw, drill, and hammer. It will take time for your knee to settle down and to heal itself. Slow and steady wins the race.
 
Thanks for the reply and advice.
I seem to be comparing my recovery with my right knee which was quite rapid in comparison to this one. I have been taking on board the advice and stopped worrying. I've also slowed down by trying to do too much. By doing so I have found I can't place my leg flat where the underside of my knee touches the floor, I am a tad worried about this and I got my wife to press down so it goes to the floor.
I don't have much pain, only when I walk with crutches and standing up without. I will get there but this may take more time, I have plenty.
 
I've also slowed down by trying to do too much. By doing so I have found I can't place my leg flat where the underside of my knee touches the floor, I am a tad worried about this and I got my wife to press down so it goes to the floor.
It's still very early days on your recovery and many people can't straighten their leg fully at this stage - straightening is called "extension". It will improve as your recovery progresses.

Please don't have your wife push down on your knee because forcing it to straighten like that could upset it and make your knee angry and inflamed.

Here's an article for you to read about
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
 
Update on my left knee.
Just over two weeks since I underwent the surgery and improvements are evident. I do struggle to find a comfortable position in bed and I have struggled to drop off to sleep.

I have just returned from my GP's surgery where my staples have been removed, 37 in all. Some were in quite deep and in where there isn't any numbness which did hurt. They're all out and I'm actually walking without crutches although I tend to keep them at hand.
My flex seems better although I can't place the underside of my leg flat to the surface of the bed. I've no doubt this will come in time.
Kind regards Dennis.
 
Took the dressing off today, looks like it's healing very well.
I'm walking without crutches and looking forward to venturing out at some point next week. I'll still take the crutches with me but I'll try to walk without.
I'm still struggling to get the bottom of my leg flat to the floor and bending trying to get 90 degree bend. Everything still feels tight. Should I wait to venture and wait until knee ready to bend.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] TKR left
    latest knee pic..jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 162
You should continue to use your crutches, your description of your leg tells me you definitely still need the support. Not using them can cause an unnecessary set back.
 
Your knee is still very swollen. That is why it feels so tight and stiff. As you heal, that swelling will come down and the knee will begin to feel much better.
 
I still can't put my knee totally flat and I am 9 weeks post RTKR. I remember being so frightened because I could not lift my leg much in the first two weeks. It will come. Concentrate on your little victories. I sure loved finding this site because it allayed my fears. There is no timeline. Your knee heals on it's own timeline. You are doing great!
 
Patience, grasshopper. :)
 
Had a call this morning from a member of the team that carried out the operation. He asked me how my scar is coming along and if I have much pain. He also emphasised the importance of the bending of the leg. I mentioned that I can only lift my leg about six inches from the floor, this is when I am putting on shorts etc. He mentioned I should have a better flex than that, My initial appointment for physio was at the end of this month, he told me he will be contacting the physio team to trey and get me in at some point in the week.
As I was typing this I received a call from them asking me to go tomorrow morning, amazing eh?
Dennis
 
Denn, you’re not even a month out! Don’t let them push you at PT! You will set yourself back.
 
Denn, I don’t post much, but your situation resonates with me because I too was so concerned with my bend because my surgeon and PT were drilling that into my head. You can see from your recent picture that your knee is still quite swollen (reason for all the tight feeling) and still very much in need of healing. I started PT and can honestly say the aggressive therapy (them trying to push my knee to get their “elusive” #) only prolonged my recovery and set me back after each and every session. I would have been elated to be able to heal like other patients that were in PT while I was. I went to every session (3times/week) and did all home exercises given to me but all that was doing was keeping my knee inflamed and swollen. There was talk of an MUA needed but at that time I was required to be quarantined for 2 weeks for COVID. I found Bonesmart at that point, followed their suggestions with only rest, icing and elevation and my bend shot up to 115 quite quickly.

Please think twice about putting your knee through any more trauma than what it’s been through.
 
Hi Denn,
I had lots of swelling with my first TKR in 2016 and like you, my bend was a looong time coming! PTs all wanted to push on it, my OS doc threatened a MUA, a manipulation under anesthesia, to force it! I was told I had to get a certain bend, 120 degrees, by 3 months or else I would have to have the MUA!

None of that was true! I hit my ideal bend maybe 5 months after my TKR, that leg snd knee are strong-like-bull and that knee has done ALL the work for the past two years when my other knee was faring poorly.

It sounds like lots of us think you are going too hard at it, for no really good reason! Your bend is under there! But there is lots of inflammation because the tissues just got walloped! They need TIME to heal, TIME for the swelling to go down...

Your signature sounds like maybe you’re in the Pacific Northwest, too? Howdy neighbor if so!
 
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery. Whatever you decide pay attention to how your body reacts and respond accordingly @denn.
 
Thanks for all the advice, its appreciated.
I went to physio this morning where I was given some wide elastic band. The idea is to stretch and straighten the leg which I did last time on my right knee. The physio told me what my surgeon told me, it's around six months to get the flex and after that it's too late.
I must admit I can't kneel up without falling forward, I was told that in the pre op the first time. I'll never be able to sit back on my knees, I know that but, I thought it would have been better than what I currently have.
Physio didn't push me, in fact the opposite but did stress the need to move as opposed to keeping still.
So, that's that in a nutshell, my knee still hurts and I'm struggling to walk without looking like a duck, hope I will be able to walk properly in the not too distant future.
Denn
 
Back
Top Bottom