TKR TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe

For the last few weeks I’ve had a lot of pain on the outer side of my knee. It also seems be inside my knee on that side. Not sure if it’s the swelling but it makes bending it excruciating. Also I now have pins and needles throughout the kneecap down my calf and into my foot.

Argh when will the pain stop and feeling better begin?

I’ve read threads where colleagues have reported stiffness which recedes as they walk. My tightness just increases the more I walk. And this pain is awful. Any ideas what it might be? I thought maybe an IT band issue but not sure. Seeing GP next week maybe he can diagnose.

@Marguette I'm not that lucky chick it seems to been continuously raining at the minute.
 
For the last few weeks I’ve had a lot of pain on the outer side of my knee. Also I now have pins and needles throughout the kneecap down my calf and into my foot.
Perhaps you could show me where these pains are using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe
 
Okay, I have it. I think you'e saying the pain goes all around the knee at that point, yes?

[Bonesmart.org] TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe


I think this is likely ITB (ilio-tibial band)

In case you should think this is only a hip problem, you can see here how it is actually bigger around the lateral side of the knee than up near the hip. In fact, it wraps right around the front of the knee!

[Bonesmart.org] TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe
 
@Josephine thank you for the guidance in your reply. I will try the exercises and hopefully the pain will subside.
If not I will invest in one of those bands and then try find a physio and see if they can help.
I’ll keep you posted.
 
I wouldn't recommend the bands. I think they do far more harm than good. If the stretches (not exercises!) don't work, then I suggest you see a chiropractor rather than a physio. My chiro used to use this Acupressure massage on me.
 
@Josephine thank you for taking the time to direct me on a different route.
I had the band in my basket. Luckily not checked out.
I will persevere with the stretches and the self massage first then look for a chiro if. I luck. Cheers.
 
You're welcome. Sadly I couldn't use the Acupressure massage because my shoulders are bad and I can't apply the necessary pressure. Luckily my lovely Greg (my chiro) was always there to help me out. But no longer as he recently relocated back to his home or Australia and left me high and dry! (darn him!)
 
Hey Kazmeraz, so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time of it. It looks like you are getting good advice here. Hope you find answers soon and start feeling better. Take care.:console2:
 
Hi Kazmeraz
Just want you to know you are not alone today. Thanks for your comment on my thread. Taking a bath is pretty special, hey? Especially if you don’t know if you can get out. Sometimes I feel a little panicked when it’s time to get out. Then I ask myself, what’s the worse thing that can happen? Oh ya, I will have to call a handsome firefighter to come help. At my age, I have to get a thrill wherever I can, even if it’s just in my head. :rotfl: Getting out is getting a little easier as I can now put a bit of weight on my knee . It’s a very strange sensation.. not painful anymore but very uncomfortable. Hope your day is going well and remember, laughter is the best medicine, even when it hurts.:old:
 
Hi Kazmeraz
Hope you are feeling better these days and starting to resolve some of those pain issues. Hang in there... it does get better. It seems 5 - 6 months is the turning point for many. Take care,
 
Well it’s week 18 tomorrow and progress is very very slow. Still got IT band pain along side and front of knee. Still very stiff and swollen. Still no bath :bath: Feeling pretty low as imagined after all this time I would be well recovered or had big improvements.
Going to see the Terracotta Army display in Liverpool on Sunday. Pretty relieved there’s plenty of seating spaced around the museum otherwise I’d be flapping about standing for lengthy periods.
Back to full time work though and running house full of untidy scruffs! Haha.
Plus a big black hairy German Shepard dog.
So no exercises just stretches. But only when I remember to fit them in.
Got another physio appointment next week but tbh I’m struggling to find any attraction for it. Last time he really pushed me to bend my knee and I was in a lot of pain for a while after. Serves me right I suppose for trying to show him I could bend it! I asked about the IT band pain and he said to try heat! Then gave me a load more exercises which I wouldn’t have been able to do before my TKR.
Hopefully things will get better and I can post a more positive report soon!
 
@Kazmeraz sorry you are having a rough journey. I am struggling with ITBand pain too, it is brutal pain making walking terrible. This is a slow process, thinking of you!
 
18 weeks was when I had a major set back that lasted about a month, and then another major set back a month after that. So, don’t think it can’t happen at this “late” date. I’d skip that physio appointment if it was me. You have plenty of activity to help your knee along, where it really counts, in your every day life.
 
Hi Kazmeraz
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I didn't really see a change till about 20 weeks. Everyone is different but if there is one thing consistantly, it seems to be ditch the physio and take it slowly. Sounds like you have a very busy life. Hope you feel better. Hugs
 
@Marguette and @Jockette thanks for steadily and consistently propping me up.
I’m just back from Liverpool and the Terracotta Army on display in the world Museum. One word ... Amazing.
Well the knee held up just the stiffness and pain that comes with it to contend with.
I can walk ok no crutch very slight limp when I get tired and knee stiffens up the longer I’m on my feet but today I didn’t mind paying the price.
My bend shows no signs of improving especially with the pain from the IT band issue. However I will continue hoping for the best and preparing for acceptance. Hopefully in time there will be some improvement but as long as the swelling and stiffness receded I’ll be ok.
Just need to manage my discouragement and get on with it. :fingersx:
 
However I will continue hoping for the best and preparing for acceptance. Hopefully in time there will be some improvement but as long as the swelling and stiffness receded I’ll be ok. Just need to manage my discouragement and get on with it.
I know this well.

You might be very surprised when all is said and done in this recovery. You’re “only” 4 months post op. I was nowhere near where I am today, at 4 months. I have no idea what my ROM was at 4 months because I was never measured for how I could bend myself, at that point. I do remember I still needed the car door open pretty wide. I had a lot of trouble tying my bowling shoes.

You said on another thread that you still have some swelling. After my 2 setbacks I mentioned, a few posts back, I didn’t see much swelling, but it was in there. My whole leg was so tight and my bend was awful during that time. I would like to have tried to get some massage, but I was too afraid to let anyone touch me.

Mine eventually settled down and I have a pretty good bend now. There’s a good chance that will happen for you.
:console2:
 
Well just back from seeing my GP who says my knee is very swollen and warm. She is referring me back to consultant. She tried to push my knee further than 90 I told her to please stop which she did.
Not sure what the consultant can do and I told her that. I said it can take a year for a better outcome but all to no avail. I walk ok, I go up and down stairs foot over foot slowly but she has worried me now saying it doesn’t look right.
She was adament amitriptyline is a painkiller too! I disagreed but got nowhere.
I suppose it’s upto me if I see the consultant even if he agrees to seeing me in the first place. Need some time to mull that one over.
I mentioned IT band issues these were dismissed as GP said should still be bending better.
I’d always put lack of bend down to swelling and pain from IT band.
So so fed up released from consultant at 6 weeks post op didn’t need to see me again, now going back as GP says he needs to look again.
Fought low feelings throughout this recovery and felt like I was winning. Now however I feel like I’ve had a pasting and it will take a significant fight back to get to where I was before this GP appointment, mentally.
:beg:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom