TKR TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe

@Kazmeraz Sorry to here you are having such a hard time. I think, after 19 weeks, I am starting to think about it more as a process than an end point. Not, when will I get there but I AM getting there a little bit more every day. Easy to say today... it's a good day. Hang in there, each day gets you closer and a little better. Hugs.
 
I was back at work at 12 weeks but far from recovered. Standing for any length of time resulted in "log leg" :) but that gradually diminished week by week. Also I'd completely crash when I got home.
 
@kneeper what an accurate description of what my leg feels like ‘ log leg’
Looks like a log too! All gnarly and rough despite slavering on body lotion.
Weirdly I have noticed a small patch of leg hair just below the knee cap. Nowhere else just a 2 inch square of hair. Not on my other leg either.I mean I’ve never really had a lot of leg hair but I’m impressed with the length and density within this small area. I know it’s not really appropriate to my recovery but thought I’d just share. It’s a puzzler.
 
Oh I hear this all the time! A friend told me, "Oh I didn't have any trouble! " Her daughter told me oh yes she did! And another elderly lady I saw just before I had my second knee done was telling me I need a different surgeon because her surgery was same time as mine and she is doing great, no pain and I am wearing the wrong shoes etc etc etc. Then I watched her stand up and it's obvious watching her stand and walk that she still has pain and stiffness! So ignore them, and "you do you."
 
And also, I had weird overgrowth of hair below my knee too! And shaving it just feels creepy because the area is still numb.
 
All is it usual for my knee to be constantly stiff. It is always stiff unless elevated.
It’s not painful as such jyst really stiff and frustrating.
I’m aware of it all the time it never relaxes. I’m nearly 12 weeks surely this stiffness should be receding.
Nothing I do seems to reduce this sensation. Feeling so low and fed up.
Any advice appreciated
 
kazmeraz.....I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but the stiffness can last for quite a while! I was almost a year and still had stiffness and numbness. My thinking is that that can be the " "new normal" for us TKR people. I'm getting tired of people saying "oh c'mon, you still have some discomfort?" . Between the pain before surgery, the pain after surgery, and now after the revision, I feel like I have lost the past three years to this :censored: leg!!! They think THEY ARE tired of it!! Anyway, having said that, I'm feeling encouraged that I am on my way , not to 100% but to a place where I can be comfortable and not be so obsessed with all this.I
So, kazmeraz, DO believe that you are on schedule in your recuperation. It just takes LOTS of patience and time!!!:console2:
 
@Dizzy thanks for your reply. Was your knee stiff all the time. Up, down straight out,and walking?
It’s a constant reminder. I don’t know if I’m just being a worry wort. :shrug:
 
A lot of stiffness at 12 weeks is par for the course in this 52 week (on average) recovery. Your knee is only 25% recovered.

Mine is still stiff at 17 months. The length of time for stiffness varies.
 
Kazmeraz, always a bit of stiffness, no matter what the movement but it does seem to loosen up SLOWLY. I could be wrong but my expectations are that it will never be 100%! I'm my book, it will always remain a constant reminder!:thud::sigh:
 
Ya, even on the best days, there is some stiffness. But then, I'm only at 20 weeks so what would I know. I have occasional periods where I dont notice it as much, but just sit for a while and see how quickly O am reminded. Still, better than being in constant pain. It always comes back to the same thing... this is not what I expected. Maybe it's time to let go of expectations and just take one day at a time.
 
My motto... "Expect nothing.....then you are happy and excited when you receive something" !
 
thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences.
It must just be par for the course but I had hoped I would have some relief from this stiffness by now. It gets stiffer and stiffer the more I walk but it does bend.
It’s very uncomfortable. Just wish the swelling would go down it’s like a hard band around the top of the knee. Consultant said it’s jyst swelling after a quick glance.
Boy oh boy if I had my time again.
 
Try not to worry about the stiffness. Easy to say though!
If you had your time again what would you do? My OS said that sometimes looking at Xrays or scans they look perfect yet the patient is in pain. I suppose a lot depends on underlying healing mechanisms which can be very idiosyncratic. Good luck anyway.
 
@Spex10 your right I know your right but.....
Thanks for your encouragement hopefully in time I will sable to reassure fellow colleagues on here that it all gets better with time. Take care.
 
@Marguette Glad to hear things seem to be on the up for you. I will need all the good luck I can get matey. I’m going in on Friday for a few hours. It will be a sweet sour day. Happy that I will see all my colleagues but unsure how the knee will cope. Still lots of swelling and continuous stiffness but will be having lots of breaks to walk about.
Not much improvement at the moment and at 13 weeks tomorrow I thought I would have some periods where there was no stiffness. Maybe I’m jyst a sweller and it’s taking a long time to recede.
I seem to have swopped pain for lots of discomfort and a numb foot! Not sure if it was a fair exchange yet.
Started the amytriptoline 2 weeks ago and they seem to be reducing the anxiety and depression I was sinking into.
So feeling a bit more positive but I don’t know how I would’ve coped without BS. It is so reassuring to read people’s recovery threads who are experiencing similar problems.
And in some cases much more severe.
Thank you.
 
It must just be par for the course but I had hoped I would have some relief from this stiffness by now. It gets stiffer and stiffer the more I walk but it does bend.
I'm afraid the stiffness does linger for a long time. It's partly external swelling, partly internal swelling, and partly this: Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

The stiffness does go away eventually - it won't be a permanent thing - but it can take months and months. It will ease off gradually, until one day you realise it's gone.

If stiffness increases after walking, that's because the walking has increased your knee's swelling.

Not much improvement at the moment and at 13 weeks tomorrow I thought I would have some periods where there was no stiffness. Maybe I’m jyst a sweller and it’s taking a long time to recede.
What's happening is quite normal. You're no more a "sweller" than anyone else is - you just weren't warned beforehand about the stiffness.
 
@Celle you give such reassuring advice. It’s good to know it’s all ‘normal’. IMO this forum should be sign posted by the medical profession who carry out joint procedures. Then we would all be informed which would prevent undue worry and stress. I mean I was sent home with a leaflet about caring for your wound! That’s it. Nothing was ever said about the duress of recovery that some of us experience.
6 weeks I’d be back at work living life pre knee problems. Had to cancel shoulder arthroscopy scheduled for last week. No way could I manage without my right arm. That surgeon (different one) even said we need to wait 6 weeks from your TKR.
So that’s 2 surgeons working on a 6 week timeline.
I now need to start again with the shoulder and ask my GP to refer me back to the consultant. But that will be next year as I just can’t even think about having it done at the moment.
Just going to take it a day at a time and as @Dizzy says ‘ Expect nothing, anything extra is bonus!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom