TKR TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe

It was well after a year that my leg relaxed enough to bend well.

However, I do have other issues, and like you, I feel I traded pre op pain for the almost constant discomfort I have now. I have some kind of nerve issue in my knee, though that hasn’t been officially diagnosed.

I do think I am in the small percentage of those who don’t do well as compared to the majority of those that do.
 
@Jockette Hopefully in time your issues will be resolved or rectified. That seems such a trite reply but that’s all we have together to support and offer encouraging words. Try to bolster each other’s morale.
And reassure that some issues are to be expected.
I really hope things improve for you and know I think about your recovery even when I’m not on BS forum.
 
@Kazmeraz I would say that of all the issues I have experienced, this misguided info about feeling more like yourself after 12 weeks was probably the worse. I thinks it raises unrealistic expectations and sets us up for a perception of failure. I know when I twisted my ankle years ago, my foot swelled for at least five years after and still does occasionally some 30 years later. I think swelling is normal for such a serious injury. But it is not always going to be so evident or uncomfortable. Hang in there... it took me 18 weeks to get to the point where I could really see progress and start feeling more optimistic. It will happen for you too. At this point, you can't send it back for a refund so there is only one way to go, right?
 
All, so disheartened after physio appointment today. He measured ROM at only 85 he didn’t do the other one relating to straightness. Glad he didn’t really or I would be doubly fed up. I thought I was at least 100.
He wouldn’t discharge me either. Gave me more exercises to strengthen quads but told me not to worry, easy to say.
He asked if my GP had prescribed any medication for the swelling which he hasn’t. Are there tablets you can take to reduce swelling?
Just sat elevating icing and eating chocolate won’t help the blood sugars but hey it makes me feel better just while it lasts.
13 weeks out and still feeling like a washed out useless dishrag. :bawl::bawl:
 
It's normal to still have swelling at 13 weeks, especially if you are doing exercises. PT is what is keeping your knee inflamed and that makes it swell. Elevating and icing is the best way to get that swelling down, along with no exercises. That doesn't mean to be waited on hand and foot! You can take care of yourself and your needs. That is all the exercise your knee needs. By the way, you don't have to keep going to PT or have to be discharged by them. It's completely voluntary. I, and many others on here, chose NOT to take PT and we recovered just fine!
 
@sistersinhim that's the thing since finding and following BS I haven’t done any PT. I just go to the physio listen to what he’s saying then elevate and ice.
Just keep hoping the swelling goes down. He’s given me another 3 weeks before I see him again. Fingers crossed the swelling is better by then. So so fed up.
 
Here are some members in the past who were “slow” to regain ROM:

One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

And,

(Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
 
Hi Kazmeraz
At 13 weeks, my ROM had gone from 106 at five weeks to 90 while I was doing physio and exercise. Like you, I was very frustrated and was cursing this surgery. I really didn't see any progress until about 16 weeks and only when I stopped physio and exercise completely, apart from my daily walk and normal activities. I continue to have some swelling, and in the past two weeks (20 - 22 weeks), the rubber band knee is starting to relax. I was afraid to stop physio and exercise, thinking that if I didn't do it, I would not have good results. I did notice though that when I missed doing my routine, I seemed to fair better. When I quit all together, I started making small but noticeable progress each day. I understand your frustration but honestly, I think it would make your life a lot easier if you stop worrying about your ROM. Improvement will be self-evident and measured by the level of activity that you will be able to do in time. Give yourself permission to relax and take it easy. It's a slow process but it does get better. P.S.: I can say that now; I don't know that I believed it at 13 weeks.
 
Just sat elevating icing and eating chocolate won’t help the blood sugars but hey it makes me feel better just while it lasts
Chocolate is good medicine! I don't know how i would have got through these weeks without chocolate. Feel tired - eat chocolate, feel down - eat chocolate, don't feel like eating - try chocolate, feel happy - celebrate with chocolate.
PS I am fortunate I can eat chocolate in moderation - a couple of squares satisfies my chocolate craving!
 
All, so disheartened after physio appointment today. He measured ROM at only 85 he didn’t do the other one relating to straightness. Glad he didn’t really or I would be doubly fed up. I thought I was at least 100.
He wouldn’t discharge me either. Gave me more exercises to strengthen quads but told me not to worry, easy to say.
I'm sorry your physio made you feel so despondent.

I really think that he has the wrong approach for your knee. He has had 3 months and what he is doing hasn't worked for your knee.
Giving you more exercise (especially strengthening exercises) is just going to perpetuate the swelling that is stopping your knee from bending.

You have nothing to lose by trying something different.
What you need is fewer exercises and more rest, ice and elevation, to try and reduce the swelling.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Did you realise that you don't have to be discharged by your physio? He works for you, and you are the boss. You don't have to please him - he has to please you.
You can take matters into your own hands and just say you aren't going to go any more.

It's your knee and you are in charge of its recovery. You, and nobody else. Not your surgeon, not your physio, not well-meaning friends and relatives. You are the only one with the right to choose what happens to your knee. Others can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept the advice.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
 
@Jacimarble I wish I could be as disciplined as you. Two bars more like for me haha. But being diabetic I do need to be careful. It does give me a boost though.
@Jockette i wish I had the ROM mentioned in your post but I’m hopeful it will improve albeit very slowly.
@Celle thank you for your continuing advice. @Marguette your right it is so hard not to get hung up on the numbers and your so scared of making the wrong decision but in for a penny in for a pound I’m following the BS way.
Had a bath today harder to get out than I thought but I did it! Needed a rest after though haha.
Well work tomorrow but only a short day. Might just get through my emails. Next week back to 3 days but short days. Hopefully the knee will not show me up and I can get through them.
 
Went to work on Friday and managed 4 hours. Knee didn’t complain too much the swelling stayed the same as did the tight feeling. Whatever I do rest elevate ice or walk exercise sit with leg straight down doesn’t make any difference to the swelling it’s constant as is the feeling of knee being encased in steel.
However I no longer feel like the whole leg is in plaster when I walk and I can go up and down steps foot over foot albeit slowly.
I can feel the pull on my quads and hamstrings but no pain. So them two positives have given me a boost.
No pain as such now just niggles and aches especially later in the day. Keep doing the heel slides but they are hard!
Knee won’t bend any further than the 85 physio measured but sat down it definitely goes further as I read somewhere on here I don’t walk on my back haha.
14 weeks come Wednesday and there are very small improvements but they do take time. Still got a numb little toe though but getting used to it.
 
If it was me I’d stop doing the heel slides. Just use your knee in your daily activities. Heel slides do not reduce swelling and may be maintaining it.

Doing steps foot over foot, even slowly, is good. You must have more ROM when standing, like you said, to be able to do the stairs. Who cares what the number is when you’re laying down, again you are right, you don’t walk on your back.

At 18 months my ROM is pitiful when I’m laying down, but good when sitting.
 
@Jockette you should be bottled and sold as an instant moral booster.
Thank you for giving me such encouragement your right who cares what bend it is lying down I need it to bend when I’m upright and it does ..
:thankyou:
 
Thank you for making me smile!!! :loveshwr:

I needed it today! I have my moments, too.
 
Glad to hear work went ok. "No pain" and "going up and down stair", that's fantastic. I still have some pain on a daily basis that makes the stairs a challenge; but rarely have to take pain meds. It sounds like you are coming along. I think you will notice a big difference in the next few weeks. Hang in ther. The best is yet to come.
 
@Marguette thanks for the positive encouragement. Not a good day today. Quads aching and knee seems stiffer than usual. Woke up and thought I had feeling back in foot but no.....
Hopefully better day tomorrow.
Staving off the black cloud of depression which seems to be swirling closer and closer.
Hope your continuing to improve and can see the benefits now.
 
Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. The ups and downs of this recovery is enough to drive anyone batties. I remember reading some time ago, that post surgery depression is very common, apparently associated to the trauma of surgery but also, a reaction to the drugs used in anesthesia. I've had minor surgery before with no impact. I wasn't ready for the level of depression that this surgery brought on. I say this because, in those dark times when the tears wouldn't stop, it helped to remind myself that this was an expected symptom and it was temporary. It sure doesn't feel like it in the moment. But remember, the sun comes out after every storm and if your lucky, you might even find a rainbow. Hope you are feeling better.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom