TKR TKR June 6,2018 right leg numb little toe

12-18 months he said it could take for me to see any benefits. Slight difference from his original 6 weeks.
We need to hear this even before our surgery! Being misled is a huge problem with this recovery. Being made like a failure doesn't help anyone.

Said kneecap was fine and just keep pushing through the pain.
Why would he say that when he just admitted it would take as much as a year and a half to completely heal? That sounds like double talk. He already said it was swollen. Working through the pain just make it swell more.
 
Hi Kazmeraz
Great news from the consultant. Sounds like he confirmed everything we learn here and put your mind at rest. Ditto on all of Jockette's comments.

Strides are getting better, I continue to improve. At 7.5 months, I started using an exercise bike 20 min a day. I was pretty depressed with the weight I had put on since the surgery but feeling better now that I have started to loose some of it. Going up the stairs foot-over-foot is getting a little easier. Actually starting to feel hopeful about this recovery business.

Have a great week ahead. Be good to yourself.
 
@Kiwigirl62 thanks for your advice about the knee sleeve. I sometimes use one during the day but not tried at night. I think I need to invest in a more robust one. This one keeps slipping down and wrinkles round my ankles. Not a good look!
@Marguette lovely to hear from you my friend. Things are very slowly improving swelling seems to be receding externally but if the bend is owt to go by the internal swelling is still lingering. Still stiff but unless it’s my imagination it seems to be loosening.
@sistersinhim I don’t think he was sure how to end the consultation so just threw in the comment about push through the pain. Not ideal but he is a big advocate of PT and working hard. Not read BS !!
So 23 weeks out tomorrow and things are slowly slowly improving. Still got IT band pain but that too seems to be more tolerable. Still doing the accupressure massage really getting into the area of pain. What a relief when I stop.
I can go longer without thinking about ‘the knee’ but it’s not long before it sulks at the neglect and reminds me.
But I’m beginning to see a glimmer of light and once I can get back into my favourite position on the sofa life will seem so much more comfy.
Thinking of you all my fellow BS friends in our continued struggle staying positive and overcoming the daily grind for recovery.
 
Use the knee yes; "push through the pain" not so much. :(
 
Woo woo discharged from physio. ROM measured at 110 even the physio was chuffed!
The IT band pain can still be breathtaking but it’s more bearable in the whole.
Stiffness and that tight feeling across the knee continues with very little let up. But I’m back working , off all meds , going up and down stairs foot over foot and walking with no noticeable limp.
But I’ve changed, my outlook is duller, it’s difficult to summon up enthusiasm. I still feel disillusioned about the whole experience and depression swirls beckoning me in to its soft dark gloom.
But it’s keeping its distance and the continued support on this forum keeps it just at bay. Thank you
 
It was a good year or longer (I had complications) before I felt 100% myself and completely healed. I tried to remember how much pain I had been in before the TKR and even though it wasn’t perfect at 6 months, it was better than it had been.
 
ROM measured at 110 even the physio was chuffed!
I’ve seen you use the word “chuffed” several times. I’d never heard of it, so even though I figured I knew what it meant, l looked it up. I think I’m going to make it part of my vocabulary. It’s so fun to make new international friends and learn new things! :happydance:

And, congratulations on the 110!!
 
Hey it’s funny as I read all the threads I imagine the sound of your voices and feel like your all talking to me. Giving support pats on the back and generally just being so lovely.
As my knee steadily improves and I spend less time looking for shoulders to help bear my worries and concerns I will still be thinking of others who struggle and fret ‘somethings wrong’
Without this forum without my fellow comrades I would’ve felt so lost and adrift.
Gosh that’s so sentimental for a Yorkshire lass but hey your all great!
@Jockette chuffed to hear you are enamoured with chuffed haha.
 
Hi Kazmeraz.
So good to hear all your good news. I'm now eight months post OP and really appreciate the progress. Still some tightness and weird feelings but overall, feeling much better.
I too wondered about the word "chuffed". I had never heard it before and I was married to a Scott for 20 yrs. I like the sound of it and think I might start using too, if for no other reason, to peak people's curiosity. Ah! ah!
Keep on keeping on my BS friend. I'm not on the forum often these days so I will take this opportunity to wish you many blessings in you holiday celebrations, whatever they might be. Here is to an amazing new year.
 
@Marguette aw you’ve brought a tear to my eye. I’m so happy things are on the up for you I remember your earlier posts and the upset and frustrations you endured. Hope life continues to be grand for you.
I still struggle with the IT band pain and the bend has stayed at pretty much 110. Had a one person pity party the other day but these seem to be further apart.
It is still very stiff but I’ll not do owt about it until I hit the 1 year mark and if it’s still being mardy I’ll take it back to the surgeon for an exchange!
Some days are ok and it fools me but then wham it kicks my butt to remind me it’s not done yet.
I still regularly read the threads but post less often as nothing has really changed.
 
Hi Kazmeraz
I've been thinking about you and wondering how you have been keeping. I hope you had a good holiday and that things continue to improve with your knee. Funny how uneventful life gets to be once you get past a certain point in your recovery.
I'm doing well... the occasional twist of my knee getting in or out of the car or when clearing snow, but otherwise, doing well. Soon going for my one year follow-up. Hard to believe but the year has actually gone by fairly quickly. Glad this one is behind me.
Keep well and maybe catch you next time. Hugs!
 
Hey matey great to hear from you. Well I’m coming up to 8 months and things have not improved if I’m honest. Still at 110 bend but it’s enough for now. Only thing I can’t bike like I used to. Still very tight and feels pully in my thigh and that IT pain is a constant reminder. But overall I feel better and am trying to convince myself I can live with it. Don’t want any further intervention at the minute and don’t want to hear things are not right. Don’t want to think about being back at square 1.
I’m so pleased things are improving all the time for you.
Let us know how your appointment goes fingers crossed it’s a good one.
By the way my holiday festivities were good just did more online shopping but I prefer a mooch round the shops.
Hope you’re holudays were good to you too!
 
It’s nuce to hear from you! In spite of my issues I did have improvements in the second year, especially as far as my whole leg relaxing which enabled my ROM to improve.
 
@Jockette I’m hoping for some improvement this year. I hope this time next year to be well on the way to full recovery or at least better than I am now.
To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement
But I can’t go back so just got to keep going.
Fed up of being robbed off by the GP and I feel the last appointment with the surgeon was just a waste of time. He only offered time as a solution.
But the depression has lifted and occasionally I can forget the knee for a while. But I shower now and perform various gymnastics to get out of cars and up off the sofa. But hey I’m not in the obits yet. Haha
Take care my fellow BS cohorts tomorrow is another day.
 
I had a difficult TKR recovery in 2010/11. My knee was always stiff. I ended up with a compression knee brace. They don't provide real support. How could they, they're so flexible? But I found that the brace disguised the feelings of stiffness and allowed me to forget about my knee. I also developed numbness in my foot right after TKR. It slowly increased and now involves both feet. Not sure if somehow the TKR set something off, or if it was coincidence. I just recently had my knee re-done and so far things are going very well, but how this knee feels in the long run is yet to be known.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom