TKR TKR July 8, 2015....recovery status

@Swish - I would have to second @Raffs comments. Haven't specifically noticed any impact from weather due to lack of real fluctuation in temp / pressure.. My knee doesn't really seem happy consistently anyway.. :chinstroke:
 
The weather does not affect my knee. Thank goodness, since in Florida the weather changes every 10 minutes!
 
13 week appointment with OS physician's assistant today. She said I was doing well. My ROM was good and my extension was great. I said the knee was still stiff and she said that was to be expected. I told her my knee was somewhat numb and she said there is a nerve that sometimes gets nicked in the surgery. Since it's not completely numb, she said the feeling should come back. I have to keep up with my stationary bike exercising...every day if possible...lowering the tension if need be to keep up the daily exercise. The PA also said my knee was still warm which is not unusual. Next appointment is a year from my surgery. :yay:
 
When I lived in the UK the weather affected every joint in my body. Here it's not too bad but when it's a cold and wet day I do feel twinges. When it's hot and humid I feel yucky anyway so don't notice any additional problems with the knee. It will be a while until we see that kind of weather again. Summer is definitely over!

I feel sorry for all you west coasters and the dry summer you have had. My sister in law just moved out to Pullman, Washington and she could smell the forest fires and see the smoke from her house. Pretty scary stuff.
 
I haven't been here in a long time. I'm 5 1/2 months post surgery and am doing well. I still have some stiffness in my knee, but the progress has been great. Sometimes when I'm out walking with my husband, he tells me to slow down because I'm overdoing it...that's great progress. I'm really just posting here to wish all my Bonesmart friends a Merry Christmas and healthy New Year. :santawave: For those of you just starting your knee replacement journey, know that recovery does get easier and you will feel better soon.:reindeerlights:
 
It's good to hear from you @Swish and to hear that your knee is doing well.
Happy Christmas! :santa sleigh: :merry christmas:
 
Off to the dentist for teeth cleaning. OS does not require antibiotics before dental work, but dentist does. I took them and now my stomach is queasy.....I do not like taking antibiotics.

@Josephine, what's you opinion on antibiotics for dental work after TKR?
 
@Swish, make sure you have something to eat just before taking the anti-biotics. That has always helped me with the queeziness, hope it will help you too.
 
I talked to my dentist, and I think for my next cleaning (which will be a year from my TKR) he is either going to eliminate or reduce the dosage. In the U.S., people take far too many antibiotics and that is now causing health issue. I am not one of those people, and would like to keep my antibiotic usage to a minimum.

Thanks for the article, Josephine.

@karol723, I did eat before, but it didn't help...but thanks for the advice.
 
My situation was the opposite to yours, @Swish - my surgeon wants me to use antibiotics, but my dentist is adamant that they're not needed.

Until last week, I compromised, taking antibiotics only for more intrusive dental work, such as root canals or extractions. However, last week I had a root canal done and didn't take any antibiotics. For three days afterwards, I was in considerable pain and I worried that I might be developing an infection. Apart from the pain, I had no other signs of infection.

I had to wait until after the weekend before I could phone my dentist. By Monday, I could feel that the pain was settling down and by Tuesday it had gone. The problem, apparently, was pain from the nerve, as it was dying.
I'm OK now, with no after-effects.
 
Decided to update my photo...was inspired by @Slainte. Put up my Hawaiian wedding photo, then decided that a post blizzard photo was more appropriate. 21 inches of snow here over the weekend. Fortunately our homeowners association shovels our snow. Our driveway was all dug out before midnight last night. Hubby wanted to go out to breakfast, which was nice after being inside all day yesterday. But I made sure he was with me at all times to make sure I would not fall. I know I'm overly cautious, but I do not want to fall on the new or old knee. All went well and we had a nice time out.
 
About ten days ago I tripped on a raised curb and almost fell. Thank goodness I was holding my husband's hand and held on for dear life and did not fall. Unfortunately, I wrenched my knee, and I've been having some more pain around my knee since then. I tried just bearing with the pain, but yesterday I decided to take Celebrex again for a few days. Hoping it just needs a while to settle down again. The knee is fine, but all around the knee is sore....everything that got cut and moved around during surgery. Praying for the best
 
It might help your sore knee if you go back to resting, icing and elevation for a while.
 
Swish.. sorry to hear about your fall!! Hope it gets better.. I too, fell the other day. Came in the house with mail in one hand and something else in the other.. Tried to take off my "slip off" shoes with no hands, lost my balance and fell backwards. My husband watched from the top of the stairs, and called out my name in serious concern.. Fortunately I fell backwards, not on my knee and only ended up with a VERY bruised ego.. .. after I stopped laughing because I felt like a complete idiot.. sigh.. (At least you had a good reason to fall.. ) Again, hope it gets better quickly!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom