Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR July 8, 2015....recovery status

Hi @Swish. Thank you for sharing your experience. Were any of you worried about going home so soon after the surgery?
 
@swmrgirl, I was not worried about only a one night stay. My friend was released the same day as surgery, so I knew this doctor did not believe in long hospital stays. Since the nurses came in my room almost every hour during the night, I was glad to be home to peace and quiet.

Physical therapy today. My therapist got my ROM to 100 (with some help from her) and my extension is 0 (with no help whatsoever). I'm very tired now and my knee is kinda sore. Already iced and now going to elevate.

Terry
 
Wow, sounds like you're doing really well! Keep up the good work.

My OS usually sends patients home the next day if all goes according to plan. Also, after reading about the infections you can get after surgery, gives me all the more reason to go home ASAP.

Rest well, you deserve it!
-Julie
 
I woke up this morning with a lot of pain and stiffness in my knee after yesterday's PT. I could barely walk and was leaning heavily on the walker. Ice, elevate and walk around and it feels a little better. Does anyone find their knee to be particular sore after a night's sleep?? Any suggestions on a fix for that??
 
Terry, I am 9 weeks out and still have a stiff and sore knee when I wake up (and after sitting a while). what you are doing with ice, elevation and walking is the best to do, and a pain pill if the timing is right. another thing I found helpful right from the start is to stand at the kitchen counter, holding the counter and pedaling my feet (raising up on toes/raising heels one foot at a time). this really helps me with the stiffness and was never painful, start slow and go at whatever speed feels good for a few minutes and it should help
 
you're welcome. don't know why I never thought to do it while sitting, just did after reading your reply and I thought, this could be done sitting on the side of the bed to relieve the stiffness a bit before even getting up! even better!!
 
Day 15....recovery seems to be coming along. Last night the therapist taught me how to use a cane instead of the walker. Mostly around the house I'm not using anything, but walking very slow. Yesterday was a very sleepy day for me. I would be elevating my leg and then next thing I knew, I was asleep. I'm back to pain pills every 6 hours instead of 4. This time it's working. I go see surgeon's PA tomorrow and want to ask about pain meds.

@bionic1. I use your heel toe exercise when I get out of bed and it helps with the stiffness. Thanks!!
 
@Swish - Nice progress! I'm 11 days out and don't think I'll be able to give up my walker in another 4, but we'll see.. Not sure about trying to stretch time on the pain pills either. Tried to reduce the dosage a bit at night and learned I wasn't quite ready for that either. As they say, it's a marathon.. :) And everyone has their own pace. Good to hear how you're doing.. It's encouraging!
 
@Braunzie - early on I increased my pain meds at night because my knee got so stiff from being inactive. Also, everyone's surgery is different. My doctor did quad-sparing knee replacement which is minimally invasive with only a four inch incision. It's supposed to make for quicker recovery. I think a lot of surgeons use this procedure, but I don't know if they all do.
 
@Swish - I too, had a "minimally invasive" surgery.. computer navigated, which was supposed to be a 4-6 inch incision. (Mine ended up being slightly longer than that). I never heard it referred to as a "quad-sparing knee replacement".. I'll have to look into that. In any event, mine too, is supposed to be a "quicker recovery".. hmmm.. we'll see when it's all said and done. I don't feel anything "quick" about this.. hahahaha! :snork:
 
Hi all, first day out and about for me. Hubby and I went to the movies. The theatre has recliner seats, so I could keep my leg elevated. Then I had a post op appointment with the surgeon's physicians assistant. She said everything looks good. I can shower now without covering the incision. She said I could to try weaning myself off the pain meds. I can't drive while I'm on pain meds...not that I'm ready to drive just yet.

I'm tired after being out. It's funny that it's so different being out than just walking around the house. Everything is faster paced and I'm not used to sitting in a chair without my leg elevated.
 
Swish....You my dear are a trooper!!!So very thrilled that you are doing so well!!!!
 
@Stefny - your surgery is Tuesday...I believe. Have a wonderful weekend and do something fun!!!! I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.

My hospital had all private rooms and my husband could have spent the night with me...which I originally wanted. As the day went on, I told him go home to sleep...which he did. One of the best decisions I made. He got a good nights sleep at home and I didn't feel bad making him stay with me.
 
@Swish.....Yes, it was supposed to be on Tuesday however, now it has been postponed. I have to have a nuclear cardiac stress test. Unfortunately, I got all freaked out over it and I was uncomfortable with having that one day and then the surgery the next. I researched it all on line and developed some fears over the whole thing which I will eventually resolve, I just could not fathom having surgery without totally researching everything. It will happen though. :):):)
 
@Stefny - Hubby just had that test. It's not a difficult test. I went with him this time since I retired. His took a few hours because there's a lot of sitting around waiting in between things. Let me know how that goes next week.
 
@Swish.....Thank you Terry. I so appreciate your input. Yes, this is what I have been told but I think it was the shock that I even needed to do this is what I found upsetting. That and the unknown of course. Six months ago I had a normal EKG and echocardiogram. So I am concerned about what may be going on. My OS called me to tell me this is not unusual and a good part of his patients have to go through this and it is for my safety etc. I get that, I just was not ready to have a heart test one day and knee surgery the next.LOL Then of course, I got on the computer to research the test and that is where I became alarmed. Again, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. LOL So I am going to do the test and make sure I am alright for surgery and then wait a little bit and maybe loose some weight (which I need to do) and then go back. All of a sudden your knees do not hurt so much if you begin to think something may be wrong with you heart. LOL It has been incredible, all of the things I have learned on this site, and I so appreciate how nice everyone is and the fact that they are so willing to share with everyone.:):)
 
Hi Swish!

Welcome! I am amazed you were able to get out of the house and take a ride. Wow! I was in the house for 4 weeks before I went to my OS Fu apt. I would go outside for a short time on my porch or deck though. I found that using the walker for the first few weeks and then the cane, helped me to walk more normally. Otherwise I was limping.

As far as the meds go, I also kept track of when I took them on my phone. Don't be afraid to take them on early on. Your need them to control your pain. You have had a very traumatic and painful surgery. You will see as time goes on, you will gradually take less until you wean off. I was off of the meds at about 2 months and was able to cut down on dose fairly early, by taking 1 pill instead of 2. (The Dr. said I could take up to 2.) They had given me 3 types of pain meds and I found that I didn't need the strongest one they gave me to control the pain after about 2 weeks, but I did need the other one. But that was sufficient for me to control the pain. They key is not to be in pain as you are recovering.
 
@Stefny ,

I can imagine how scary that would be for you. I bet everything comes out OK, but think it is wise to check everything out before your surgery. Hugs to you!
 
Last night was my first night's sleep with no pain meds. I slept until 3 am and then couldn't get back to sleep. I came out on my recliner and finally fell asleep about 4:30 am until 6 am.

My stomach is so messed up from the pain meds and stool softeners. I can't wait until that's back to normal. I'm going to try and only take the pain meds for physical therapy. My knee is more stiff than painful.

Yesterday, over the course of the whole day, I walked a mile. I took a couple short walks outside and then I was walking around the house. I was using my cane for all the walking.
 
Back
Top Bottom