TKR TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
chestnc .... I have merged your two recovery threads. We like to keep each member's recovery story in a single thread. It makes it so much easier to go back and see what you've experienced and what advice has already been given for any concerns you have. So, please keep your updates, questions and comments about your recovery in this thread.

I modified your thread title to reflect the content of your thread. If you decide you'd like a different title, please post what you want and we'll get it changed for you. Many people revise their thread title as they advance through recovery and we're happy to help you with that!
 
Thank you again guys for the encouragement and great advice. I actually am really set up with pain medication in all ranges and strengths possible. Sometimes the pain medication does take a little while to work and the pain will catch me before I realize that it is going to hit me and the pain medication time is not quite time for the meds to be due. Once I get on top of the pain, I am much better all around. I did go to my pain management doctor 2 weeks after I came home. In the pre-op orientation class we were told of the importance of seeing So I have the stronger strength of Percocet, Nucenta which did help me in the hospital which I was placed on for RA pain. I also have the Butrans patch in 10 and 15 mcg. which works well with the Nucenta or Percocet. I am not one to wait for pain to hit me hard before I take the pain medicine. Sometimes if I do not have pain at all I don't take the pain medication thinking the pain is gone for good as well. Now I realize in the healing phase pain can last for a good while and come and go. Learning something new everyday with this new knee of mine. Thanks again everyone!!
 
You are so right about the healing taking a good while. You may be to the point where you can space out your pain meds a bit--for example rather than 4 hours between doses go 5. But stick then stick to that schedule rather than "as needed." "As needed" lets the pain sneak up on you and then it's harder to control.
 
Everyone is absolutely right about keeping on a schedule for taking pain meds. I had my TKR aug 28th and for the past couple weeks I only take my pain meds when I over do it. Sometimes I feel so good I forget I just don't have the stamina I used to have.
You will find everyone heals at different paces. This journey is not a race and your knee is the boss right now so listen to it, you don't want to make it angry. : /
You said your from the east coast, I was born in NJ, moved to PA in my early 30's and now reside in CA. I've learned our east coast attitude is useless when fighting this healing process.
Take advantage of relaxing and sleeping when you can. Happy holidays


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
I've learned our east coast attitude is useless when fighting this healing process.
" ...Not certain what this means. I do rest and sleep a lot and with RA you tend to be tired in general much of the time especially when you are not feeling optimum. But knee needs to still be exercised so the healing process can take place. Everyone does heal at different paces depending on so many factors. I am really not trying to push or rush the process. It will take some time to feel better as I see. Thanks so much.
 
I took a warm bath and did some of the exercises in the tub on the op knee and feel a bit better. Took a Nucenta pain medication though I was not really in pain today, but I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night miserable and I have been doing my exercises periodically late this evening. I guess I feel I should be doing more. But with this cold weather and RA it just knocks the energy out of me. I guess I am a little nervous about a few things. One is I see on the board where many folks have the second knee done a few months to a year later. I already know that my other knee needs to be done as usually both knees wear out evenly. Also the x-rays have already shown this. The other issue is work and having to be back by a certain time. I guess I should just take one day at a time...:groan:
 
It's the RA and the post op Energy Drain everyone gets. It's ok to take some guilt free naps.:zzz:
 
Thanks kneeper. I had all these things lined up that I was going to do while home so called recouping. That has not occurred yet or to a small very small degree. Between aches, pains, not feeling well, MD appts, PT the "guilt free naps" and RA acting up, I am exhausted. And Thanksgiving week trying to take care of my mother with Alzheimer's. Geez. Not to mention this time of year which I have not gotten involved in really. Anyway thanks for the encouragement. :thankyou:
 
Jamie you are so right. Thank you. I do continue to need my pain medicine for knee, RA and sometimes both. And I find myself tired so I can attempt to try to bump down on pain medication, but I usually need Nucenta which works well for mild pain or Percocet for strong pain. Also I am wearing a Butrans patch which delivers continuous small amount of narcotic. I have tried to bump down and leave patch off for a few days and body starts to really ache from RA pain. I try to keep as warm as possible. That helps some...:spin::huggy santa:
 
Hello again to all. So far so good. Really tired over the past weekend and it is not like I am doing a great deal. Did exercise, sent out for a short time on Sunday to my mother's house to get her medication straight with the home health aide (she has Alzheimer's) then back home. I know I am tired as well with the RA along with TKR. I know I have to take it one day at a time. Hope everyone is having a good day. :yay::ereindeer:
 
Just recently got home from PT. I saw a woman who I had seen on Friday and whenever I see her all I can think of is more exercise, more exercise. Her niece had BTKR not done simultaneously. In the hospital and after the hospital she refused to do any exercises. She has RA like myself and some of us others. The woman told me she was amazed at what she saw the PT do with me, along with the exercises she had me doing. The woman explained to me how crippled her niece is due to not doing exercises. The woman took the niece to the same place that I had my operation done and no doctor there wold touch her. They basically informed the niece that there i nothing wrong with the surgery and that MUA is not an option now since the muscles and hamstrings have tightened to the point of no return. Such a shame... So I say keep exercising and follow what your doctor and PT tell you to do. :ereindeer::happydance::dancy:
 
My muscles are chronically very tight--whether to do with the RA, the fibromyalgia or what, I don't know. But I do know keeping on with the bending and stretching did (and continues to do) me good.
 
Also my PT measured me and on the flex I backwards, I am 105 by myself and with her help 110. She said normally with the max bend with an artificial knee is 120. i wonder has anyone gone beyond that? :bow:
 
Sure!!! Many people go beyond 120. Sometimes it can take a while so you shouldn't be in a hurry. Members have reported increases in ROM even more than a year out from surgery. Just keep working steadily on improving your bend and it is possible. You also need to have all the swelling gone and that can take a while too.
 
Thank you Jamie, That makes sense. I just keep working at the exercises :dancy: and keep trying to do my best to keep moving. I have finally stopped with so much swelling after exercises and this morning I woke up and was pleased that pain was minimal. I am happy at 8 weeks and one day. Yeah! :yahoo:
 
Possibly due to impending weather forecast rain on Sunday tomorrow and overdoing it a good bit with having friends over, cleaning house and cooking with son's help, threw me into a not-feeling-good-at-all, need -to -take my medicine now because I am in so much RA pain. The last two days I have had to take the strong pain meds and ice my knee though it was not too swollen, get in the bed under the covers and just rest. Even with pain meds it took several hours for the pain to settle down. I was so uncomfortable....So as it is said, there are good days and bad days for certain.
 
Hi my friends, this is an update. The last few days have been a bit trying. I actually made it through the holidays and hope everyone had a great holiday as well. I did my best to try not to overdo anything which I did not. I still had a great deal of pain which was RA pain, not pain in the knee. The knee feels well and l still going to PT. I know some of you guys have stopped, but my PT therapist would like me to continue sessions if approved by the insurance company. With RA there are times my knee, my body, my joints, or limbs are stiff causing me not to be able to do my full stretches. Even with the added RA pain, I have been able to get to a flexion of 110 on my own and 112 with assistabce. That is good with a person with Rheumatoid arthritis. It is really tough with a person who has RA and has this surgery. For the past two weeks I have had some RA pain that has been unbelievable. I have had to take the stronger pain medication I was first taking for the knee pain and not really needing the pain medication for the knee. I have to go back to pain management again because now we have to revisit the medicine required for RA pain. Oh boy. I have continued with my exercises when I have not been in severe RA pain. I believe it is the weather along with some pf the holiday activity (not a lot because I watched what I did), and caring for my mom a few days with Alzheimers. Also it is time for my next treatment for RA. So it could be a mixture of things. But the Therapist says I am doing well when I get there and I am pleased with that. Hope everyone has a great New Year. I will be at home watching the ball drop which is my usual routine. :groan::cheers: :flwrysmile: :ereindeer::nativity::reindeer::huggy santa::xmas-tree::snow dig: :snow plough:
 
Going into the beginning of 12 weeks and back to work on Monday. RA pain has settled down. I guess my body has said okay, the weather is what it is so I just have to get used to it and deal with it. I am feeling better and stronger and have started taking my vitamins again that will hopefully help get me through a days work. Hopefully will soon be getting my RA IV treatment in a month or so. I am looking to feeling better and not scheduling too many activities when I first go back to work. Plan to take it easy. Last Sunday I walked too far as I had to get my mom's medication to her house (She has Alzheimer's), and home attendant could not find any more morning meds. Of course when I go there, i found the medication right where I had instructed her they would be. So I had to get back on track and pain med, elevate, rest and ice. I got the drill down. I was icing for 24 hours and was finally able to do my home exercises. Knee is still a little sore, but hasn't held me back. looking back on it all I can say yes I would do it again when it comes time that I need the left one done. :dancy::egypdance::happydance:
 
I went to the OS's office for 12 week post op check before I go back to work. He is very pleased with everything and says thatI have healed up very nicely. He asked if I needed anything for pain and he gave me the medical clearance I needed. After I got home from running around in the city, going to OS doctor's office, going to employee's health for their medical clearance, and getting my parking reinstated in hospital parking. By the time I got home about 6 hours later from when I left home, I am bushed. I am in bed under the heating mattress pad cover with ice on the knee. The knee is not swollen, but the ice helps make it feel less tightened up and less stiff. I will just have to see how it goes going back to work Jan.13, 2014.
 
Also the insurance has deemed that I no longer needed PT though the physical therapist was trying to get more visits. I will just continue my own PT at home.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom