TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for a very balanced report at the end of one year. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile: :friends:

You had an unusually bad time because of the diverticulitis, but you've come through it all.
The next year could see your knee feeling even better.
 
So happy Ralph is doing right by you and helping you live a full, active life with Charlie! I am not happy that the pesky stomach issue is on going. But hopefully others can learn from your experience and the diverticulitis will go into remission. So glad you came upon BS, friend! xxxx
 
Happy birthday Ralph. So good to hear from you Janis @Timetolive my knee birthday is Saturday and I will be flying home from a wonderful vacation in Mexico. I will then be getting ready for round 2 it's starting to sink in now it's just 3 weeks away. Take care
 
@Celle , I want to thank you for all the wise counsel you gave me through the darkest days. You were such a welcome support.

@KarriB , my friend, thank you. You are counted as one of the great things that came about with my TKR.

@macduf387, Madeleine!! Mexico!! I am so happy for you. Round 2? I pray you have a peaceful and quick recovery. This go round, you will know what to do and what to expect. Thank you for all your support and friendship over this year. We have come a long way!
 
Good to hear from you Janis and happy birthday to Ralph. I've been thinking about you and knew your one year mark was coming up. Hopefully a little more time will bring an end to your pain and swelling with activity.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very good news indeed!! So good to hear from you and that things are going well. My 1 yr anniversary on R knee was October 28th.
I too get the swelling at night and some soft tissue irritation but I will take it any day over that bone on bone pain.
Thank you for your support and kindness during our recoveries. Can't believe it has already been a year!
We have already vacationed in the mountains last month and next month we are off to San Antonio to see the Riverwalk at Christmas . Best thing was last week we took 4 of our grands to the county fair and I lasted 4 hours on my feet!!!!
 
Janis what a great report! I'm glad Ralph is doing well. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how a TKR can change our lives for the better.
 
@smarttoys, John, how good to hear from you! The knee is good and lets me do all I want. I don't let it slow me down. Charlie is enjoying his walks and it is a good time to work on his loose leash walking. Thanks for your friendship and dog training advice! I hope you are doing well.

@Glamg1979 , Gerri! I agree!! Nuisance swelling and twinges of pain are welcome over that life-limiting pain. Ralph has taken me on many walks, lots of shopping, and some wonderful beach walking. We enjoyed the State Fair after several years of limited walking and pain for me. The TKR has definitely been life changing. I asked my OS how it felt to change people's lives. He gave me a hug and said it felt great! You were such a good friend through it all. Thank you for sharing this journey with me.

@newlybionic, Marian, I do hope your journey has smoothed out and you are doing well. Thank you for all of your support.
 
What a great birthday update. While I am sorry you developed the diverticulitis and have a swelling issue, isn't it grand to be able to do and anticipate doing so much we were not able to before!? Is the swelling something the OS thinks with abate over time?
 
@NightQuilter, Lynn, thank you for stopping by! I am very happy with my knee and not having that awful pain. The OS does believe the swelling will get better and I believe that also. I can tell the difference as each week goes by. I ran into my PT when I took my husband, and he told me some people have swelling 12-18 months. I am ok with that. Knowing something is "normal" or that someone else has it, makes it easier to accept and get through. Life is good. I hope you are doing well.
 
Good to hear! Have you tried any gentle massage around Ralph?? A dear friend who is a massage therapist, worked on me at about 2 weeks and weekly thereafter - lymphatic and shiatsu. Obviously at that point, most was done at the ankles and up, working behind the knee and sides until the scar got stronger. My OS was amazed that by my 3 week after each knee I had so little swelling. His wife (who runs PT) now recommends that. Getting the swelling down does so much to reduce pain and increase mobility.
 
Lynn, Ralph gets a good massage every day. I have the nicest scar with no lumps or bumps and I attribute that to the massage I have done. I do massage the back of the knee also to loosen it up. The swelling is probably a result of the severe reaction I had to the Xarelto and the damage it did. I only swell in the knee - never in the ankle, so I am very lucky with that.
 
Would love to see your lovely scar Janis! It sounds like you are quite fortunate there. Despite massage, I have a couple little puckers. It makes sense that the swelling is from another cause.
 
@Josephine, I need some advice. I have been having 7/8 pain under my RTKR for about two weeks. It is most severe when I weight bear as I move through my stride. During the stride: foot forward, move forward, knee bends - the sharp pain almost takes my breath away. If I walked "stiff legged" I don't have the bad pain. I was having pain more to the outside of the knee, but it has been in the front, right below the kneecap for the past week. I have not twisted it, fallen, or done anything out of the ordinary that I can recall to cause this. Any thoughts?
 
Well, to start with, would you be so kind as to indicate the site of this pain using this chart? Thank you very much.

[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
[Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
 
I must need glasses too. I am so sorry to learn of her passing - Poppet really was exceptional.
 
Thank you @Josephine . An interesting article. The fat pad impingement would be happening when the knee straightens though wouldn't it? It is when the knee "opens" or bends during the stride that I get the pain. It almost causes me to drag my foot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom