Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three weeks post op, so glad I found this forum

was also wondering if I should go back to PT right away or wait another week for more healing.
Stay away from the place. Let that knee---the soft tissue around it---calm down. going back now will only keep the knee inflamed and painful

There is no "window of opportunity" for ROM, so rest, ice, elevate, and let the knee calm down. It will not set you behind at all---many folks in the UK do not PT at all, and they have tremendous outcomes.
 
It is important to listen to your body---aka---your knee during this recovery. If your knee is telling you it is too early, take your time and do not force things by going back too soon. Let the knee rest and let the knee become less inflamed and sore.

When that happens, you can approach PT and take it slowly and gently.

This recovery can be longer than we are prepared for, so there is no rush---it is a marathon, so take it easy and let the recovery come to you. Do not be in a hurry to return to PT---listen to the knee.
 
I would cancel this PT session and give those angry tissues a break.
 
I couldn't handle PT two days in a row. I think that's much too much. It would be better to try to spread them out. I know sometimes it was hard for me to schedule visits so then I only did one visit that week. If you're still really hurting you might want more time off. If you go let them know how you are feeling. I always used ice as often as I could. I even had it in my car on the trip home even though they iced my knee at the end of the session.
 
I am happy to report that I have recovered from the aggressive PT and seem to be healed from that. I seemed to have turned a corner as well. I was able to go up and down the 6 inch stairs! And I no longer have to warm up back and forth on the bike before doing full rotations on the bike! Albeit, I am going around slowly on the bike, but still, I am pleased with able to do that full rotation. Also, the other physical therapist noticed that when I walked I kind of threw my foot out to the side and then in front. This seemed to be the cause of pain on the inside of my knee. She told me to not only heel down, but to concentrate on "lead with the knee" and it seemed to help a lot with my inner knee pain.
 
Full rotation! :happydance: Milestone! And going slow is fine.
 
I am 7 and a half weeks out from surgery and I am still unable to get a good night's sleep. I use the pillow between the knee, ice through the night, Tylenol/Advil combo (no Percocet anymore it makes me sick). OS suggested I try Advil PM (doesn't work). Last 2 nights I even tried Ambien - did not work. I have always needed at least 7 hours sleep; when I don't get it, the next day I am just so tired and have no energy. Question: what are people's experience in how long it took to start getting a good night sleep? The discomfort of changing positions seems to be the culprit I think.
 
@woodsidequeen,I still have problems some nights trying to sleep. Since my RTKR on Dec 7th its been one of my biggest challenges. Cannot have anything touching that knee overnight. Sleeping in bathrobe with that leg exposed. I cover myself with a small throw so oi don't get too cold. Use 3 pillows under my head/neck as that seems to help my back .Also a pillow under my knee. Keep blankets rolled up between my husband and me so I don't get kicked. Must be quite a sight by the time I'm all set up, ha ,ha !!!. I too do best with 7 hours sleep, fat chance of that happening! Had my other leg done 10 months before& I know it took @ 3 to 4 months before I slept better. I just try to remember that each day I'm closer to feeling normal again. Good luck with your recovery
 
I started to have trouble sleeping at around the 4 to 6 week mark. My OS prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain at my 6 week followup. My combination for a good nights sleep right now is Saran wrap on the knee, 300mg gabapentin, 50mg benadryl, and 10mg melatonin. I may change the combo once I get my sleep pattern established again. I go to sleep around 10 or 11 pm and wake up around 5 or 6 am and usually doze a bit more until 6:30 or 7 am when I get up to feed the dogs and help the kids get ready for school.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I slept well after surgery, then started with insomnia again at 6 weeks. I have to also endorse the Saran Wrap on the knee. It really helped with the pain and achiness at night. A bonus in the morning: less swelling and no pain with that first step. It took me a night to get used to having it on my knee, but I am a believer now. I do not wrap it tightly. I take diphenhydramine to help me sleep and on occasion, I will take an Extra Strength Tylenol. I am extremely sensitive to medications, so I am not on any pain meds anymore. I do hope you find the right combination for you.
 
I guess I should go back to the Saran Wrap. I used it in the first few weeks.
 
Another restless night. Took 2 Advil PM (diphenhydramine ) and Extra Strength Tylenol at 10:30pm. Up at 1:30am - 3 hours of sleep. I was in pain so I took 2 Percocet (I hate to go back to it after being off of it for so long) thinking I needed my sleep without pain, but only slept another 3 hours. I forgot to wrap the Saran Wrap, will do tonight and let you all know. I see many of you have insomnia around the 6 week mark. Wonder why. Mine started then too. Is the 3 month mark the "magic" sleep number?
 
Isn't it funny how our definitions are so personal.
If I was having 2 x 3 hrs of sleep each night I would be over the moon!
Good luck finding your own magic potion!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I second the gabapentin recommendation- was having terrible restless feelings at night and scar pain. Have been on the gabapentin (only 100mg, can go up to 300mg) for a week, and the difference has been very noticeable.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I have been taking Gabapentin for about 4 years for Restless Leg Syndrome along with Mirapex. Since I had the TKR, the Restless Leg has gotten worse. I have seen others using Gabapentin for the sensitivity issue at night. I usually take the Gabapentin early in the day, but last night I took 1 Gabapentin, 2 Extra Strength Tylenol and a Unisom (Benadryl) and to my surprise, I slept 7 hours!!!! Went to my neurologist (for Restless Leg Syndrome) and she said all of her RLS patients who have knee or hip surgery, their Restless Leg gets worse - this is interesting.
 
I think I am finding sleep! Went to my neurologist Monday and she told me that all of her patients who have Restless Leg Syndrome who have surgery below the waist, i.e. back, hip, knee, after surgery their RLS gets worse. There is no medical explanation. She also said that lack of sleep is probably the reason I had migraines - lack of sleep is a major medical problem. She prescribed a new type of Gabapentin - a timed release one that works 24 hours call Horizant. She also prescribed Klonapin also for my RLS, but she stated that it will make me sleep as well. (She did say that the sleepiness does wear off after about 4 weeks). Monday night I took one Klonopin and two Extra Strength Tylenol and to my surprise I slept from 10:30pm to 5:30am woke up for bathroom and dozed for another hour! Tuesday night same combo and slept 6 hours straight and dozed for another hour. (I also took the Horizant. Neuro explained that getting my sleep pattern back is essential to recovery. Hoping it continues.
 
Good news on the sleep!
I seem to be dropping into a 7 hour pattern (with just one wake up half way for meds). It's just wonderful.
BUT, it's not happened every single night so don't despair if you get a bad one now and then!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom