Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three weeks post op, so glad I found this forum

when do you stop icing and elevating? Also, what does a warm to the touch knee mean?
 
Woodsidequeen,
When you stop icing will depend on when your swelling and pain go down, with time you will ice less and less.
The warmth is inflammation in your knee, if you over do your knee will be warmer, it should go down as you heal.
Remember you are not yet 2 months out, very early in this yearlong or more recovery
 
We are in the middle of a blizzard in NJ, so I can't get out. I just discovered I ate one of the Dole salads that was recalled because of a Listeria bacteria discovered in the packaging facility. I am nervous about this. It is Saturday so I am at a loss as to who to call. Worried that this could affect my new knew.
 
Oh my. I hope you have no symptoms. Please watch it closely and if you notice anything, contact your OS. You are in my prayers for no problems from the lettuce!
 
I don't think it'll effect you're knee, but I could be wrong. Do you have a weak immune system?
 
Most likely you and your knee will be fine. Be sure to read the informative article @Clipless , left for you.
 
No symptoms. I plan to call my OS on Monday to let him know. Perhaps antibiotics as a precaution. Thanks all.
 
I hope you are feeling well today. I wouldn't think that it would affect your TKR either. A phone call would make me feel better too.
 
9 weeks out from surgery and I have never had much pain. Lately in the evening, my knee is having pain. The pain seems to be coming from the inside of my knee and it seems as if it is within the prosthesis itself. Anyone else have this?
 
9 weeks out from surgery and I have never had much pain. Lately in the evening, my knee is having pain. The pain seems to be coming from the inside of my knee and it seems as if it is within the prosthesis itself. Anyone else have this?
Yes, of course. It is not possible for the actual prosthesis to feel pain, but your brain makes that interpretation.
 
Feeling pain at the end of the day is often an indication that you've done a bit too much during the day. Its almost as if your knee is saying "You did too much and now I'm going to get you for it."
Can you try doing a bit less, and then spending the evening resting, icing and elevating your knee? Don't forget the pain meds, either.
 
Having more pain now at 9 weeks than at 3 weeks. Why is this? Frustrating. I am at 105 ROM. Pain wakes me up in the morning and continues all day. Maybe a 3-4 scale. I don't want to go back to opiods. I take 2 Extra strength Tylenol twice a day, ice and elevate.
 
Is it quite simply because we are generally doing more?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@woodsidequeen, I'm a week behind you and I had a day of pain last week that floored me. When the Tylenol didn't touch the pain, I took a oxycodone in the afternoon and another at bedtime. It helped tremendously and I was back to normal the next day, even with a long PT session. I won't be surprised for it to happen again - I expect it to. I'll break out the drugs once again.
 
I had the same problem at that stage of recovery. After the first TKR I would take an "occasional" percocet. Meh. After the second knee I refused, even though there were plenty of pills left over. I had gone thru some withdrawals weaning off this time and decided "no more". When my knee became uncomfortable I stopped whatever I was doing asap to rest elevate and ice. It always helped.
 
Having more pain now at 9 weeks than at 3 weeks. Why is this? Frustrating.
Nine weeks seems like a long enough time to recover, and, while what you are doing probably seem innocuous, you are most likely doing too much and your knee is tired and sore at the end of the day.

While your knee is now metal and plastic, there is still a great deal of soft tissue around it that is still in the process of healing.

I went back to teaching in the classroom at eight weeks, and, at night, I was stiff, sore and in pain. The less I did, the better I felt.

Remember how long a TKR recovery can take---please be patient.
 
You could also try taking the Tylenol four times a day (1,,000 mg each time) on a 4 to 6 hourly regime. That way, you will have a steady cover of pain relief throughout the day.
At only 9 weeks after a TKR many people are still needing regular pain relief.
 
4000mg of Tylenol!!!! Wow that's a lot. Is that wise? With the liver damage warnings
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom