Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three weeks post op, so glad I found this forum

I actually was intending to take aqua therapy at my local YMCA but I need to get my OS ok.
 
I am 12 weeks out - 3 month mark. My observations: I no longer have pain. I would say that my complaint is stiffness. I am mostly fine during the day, but in sleeping, I wake after 4 or 5 hours of sleep (which is great) because of the stiffness. If I lay on my stomach and bend my leg back toward my butt, the stiffness gets looser and I am usually able to go back to sleep for another hour or two. It has been 2 weeks since I stopped PT and I feel that was a good decision. I use my recumbent bike 3 times a day for about 15 minutes each time. I am also able to go up and down stairs normally but with slight discomfort. I am thankful for all of my Bonesmart pals.
 
Great news! I believe riding the bike really helps loosen my knee and kept it from getting stiff. Now I ride it for exercise. Sleep was the last frontier...
 
That is an excellent report---and you are making great progress!
I wake after 4 or 5 hours of sleep (which is great) because of the stiffness.
That is really pretty good! You are dong wonderfully!

Sleep was the last frontier...
It was for me, too, I could not get comfortable and would wander around the house trying to find a comfortable place and position in which to sleep.
 
You are doing great! Very jealous of pain free report and stairs ability! I can only manage a half stair :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been going to hydro therapy & always feel good after it. I only have one session left so I have decided to go to aqua aerobics sessions at my local pool & start at the gym to build up my muscles.
 
Hi "3-weeks post-op"
You and I are both on same schedule of recovery. Like you, I was flabbergasted at the weakness in my body after surgery. I actually work out 4-5 times a week (at least before the surgery) but now just getting up in the morning, getting dressed, etc. seems to be a gargantuan task. I actually went with my sister to run some errands yesterday and couldn't WAIT to get home. 3 short hours out of the house had transformed me into a raving lunatic birch (kinda funny actually) but made me realize that I don't really want to socialize or go out in public for another few weeks at least. Between the pain meds, the sleep deprivation and my my body's refusal to do anything that requires energy, the public at large should be protected from me until I feel human again. That's the thing about surgeries, medications, illnesses, etc. They all completely knock me off my grasp of sanity because I am soo NOT myself when I'm recovering from any of the above-referenced events.
I do take Melatonin and it works great for me. Meditation helps keep me on somewhat of an tranquil emotional path.
Also, not as grumpy now with the advent of Spring in the air.
Stay in touch and let me know how you're doing (or not doing, ha). It's good for me to talk to others on this site that are on this same chronological recovery timeline that I am...
Diana
 
I am 6 years out from TKR. Having pain and swelling. MRI showed poly spacer wear particles. Surgeon wants to do a poly exchange. Implant is secure and not loose. Everything I read says this procedure is very unsuccessful and should be replacing all components. Surgeon also says recovery is shorter than original TKR. Surgery done at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, Can I ask about your surgery and recovery
 
@woodsidequeen I’m sorry you’re having issues at this point. We have had members with a successful spacer exchange.

Since you are not totally comfortable with what your surgeon wants to do, have you considered getting a second opinion?

I‘ve copied your post above into your original recovery thread so you have a record of your continuing history with this TKR.

We can change your thread title to reflect your current concern, if you want, that way you might get more responses from other members with this experience.
 
My components are all secure and to remove them would be a major ordeal if they are not loose. Surgeries were done at an Orthopedic hospital in Mission, Kansas. They get you up as soon as spinal wears off using a walker. You do your knee exercises every day and work on flexion and extension. It returns pretty quickly, I had 120 degrees of flexion before my 3 weeks post- op. Extension was at 0 degrees when I woke up on both knees luckily. Pain isn't too bad. On narcotics for about a week, then Tylenol works for the soreness and stiffness. If I can answer anymore if your questions, please let me know.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom