Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three weeks post op, so glad I found this forum

I merged your two recovery threads as per forum rules and protocol. By having only one recovery thread, it makes it so much easier to see where you have been and what has been going on,. and to see your issues now---all without jumping from one thread to another.

It also helps to prevent duplicate posts, as well.

Thanks,

Tim C.
 
So how can you get 120 ROM with swelling, it seems impossible to get that measurement until ALL swelling has subsided.
You cannot. You will get there---to where you want to be---but you will not get there until the swelling goes down.

I would not worry about numbers much---that is all up to the PT's, as they are a quantitative lot. What matters most is that you are able to do the activities that you want to do, and to do them pain -free---when you are fully recovered.

You are four weeks removed from a very, very traumatic surgery that has left your knee devastated. The swelling will go down---in time---and on the knee's schedule.

Patience is the key here.

You have to fight the urge to outwork the knee---you cannot work harder in this recovery---it will not speed things up--but it will slow things down and make recovery much more painful and frustrating.
 
I would caution you against trying to get back to normal activities at this early point in your recovery. You say you do fine during the day but have problems at night with swelling. That indicates that you're overdoing things during the day. I suggest you take a few steps backward for a couple of weeks and put more resting, icing and elevation in your schedule. That is the only thing that will reduce swelling.

If you continue to push, you really risk that your body will stay in that "inflammation/swelling" mode longer and even possibly permanently. Please allow yourself time to heal properly before doing too much walking, driving and other normal daily activities.
 
I was going to write the same thing that Jamie wrote right in front of me!! My doc told me at four weeks that I should have two hours of rest for every one hour that I was up. Rest was icing and elevating my knee---
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

It is unrealistic to think that you can walk around, do housework, drive to appts, do PT and whatever else you are doing. By the time you lie down at night, your leg has been busy all day. Four weeks is too early to resume your "normal" life.
 
Yesterday in PT my therapist was massaging my knee and said, "Did you hear that pop?, that was scar tissue breaking up". Is this possible? And later that night my knee was really hurting. The pain also could have resulted for me pushing myself for the first time to actually pedal around on the bike for the first time - up until then I had only been going back and forth. I felt like after 5 weeks post op I wanted to push myself. "Scar tissue - I assume he meant tissue under the incision and not scar tissue that needs surgical manipulation. Anyone have a similar experience?
 
@woodsidequeen ---I merged your two recovery threads as per forum rules and protocols---members are only allowed one recovery thread---the reason for this is that it is so much easier for all members to help you if they can see the one thread---when you had your surgery, what issues or concerns that you may have had, and where you are going.

We can do this much more efficiently if we only have to read one recovery thread and do not have to baounce back and forth from one thread to another.

This also helps to eliminate double or duplicate postings, as well.

Thanks,

Tim C
 
I did have adhesions after my BTKR, and I did feel them pop, but I did not hear anything pop. The pain for me was pretty monumental, but it was very momentary.
 
Many people have thread of adhesions after surgery, they can break apart--which is probably good--but it does cause some pain which should resolve itself by the next day.

if you have pain, just take it easy, ice and rest. If still have pain or it increases, call your OS office.
 
It has been 24 hours since my PT therapist told me "that pop was scar tissue popping" and I have a lot of pain. The pain is not where he told me the scar tissue has popped, it is on the opposite side of the knee. Yesterday he also "coaxed" my knee back for more ROM before measuring me. I was able to get to 95 degrees then when he pushed my foot back he got it to 110 degrees. Should he be doing this? My surgeon's requested "gentle PT, with what patient feels comfortable". This forum participants seem to say that after scar "popping" pain was either nil or minimal. I can barely bend my knee.
 
I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. I'm a month since surgery and don't think I've had any popping. But then I'm not letting a physio push my leg around. If it hurts, don't do it seem to be the mantra here. Sounds wise to me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't let them push your knee back. It just caused me so much extra pain it just wasn't worth it. My knee would hurt for days afterwards. It just swelled up so much. That doesn't sound like gentle PT to me!
 
No sure if you have had an answer to your sleep problem here, but I didn't sleep for more than 2 hours a night over a month after my surgery. My family doc prescribed some ambien. Over-the-counter sleep meds like benedryl or tylenol pm didn't work for me.
 
Melatonin is helping me to sleep.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
Has anyone tried the cream and saran wrap for night pain? Going to do it tonight to see if it helps me sleep.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I tried the Saran Wrap and loved it. I used it from my ankle to the knee and it seemed to calm things down. I'm 9 weeks out and now I just use lotion. That seems to calm the sensitivity for me. Fabric on my knee still irritates me but the lotion seems to help. Good luck in your recovery.
 
It has been 3 days since my physical therapist bent my knee to from 95 (where I could get it) to 110. I can barely walk. I am so frustrated. I think I have a pulled muscle next to my knee on the inside. I had been off of the Percocet since week 2 and now at 5 1/2 weeks, I had to take them last night for the pain. I go back to the surgeon in 2 days, and I am angry that now he is going to see my recovery at a lower level than what I was last Wednesday before the PT set me back. In the meantime, have any of you had muscle pulls during the PT sessions?
 
I know I had times when it has felt like I pulled a muscle but I never had it diagnosed by someone. It also came from an over aggressive PT. Try to ice and elevate as much as possible and let your surgeon know exactly what happened. I'm so sorry you are having so much pain too.
 
I had a similar pain on inside area over my knee, felt like muscle pull. Happened after pt stretched my knee and bent it over his forearm. Will not let him do that again. Ice and elevation helped after a couple of days. Also tried to stay off of it till it felt better. Sorry you're in pain, hope it passes soon.
 
It has been 3 days since my physical therapist bent my knee to from 95 (where I could get it) to 110. I can barely walk. I am so frustrated. I think I have a pulled muscle next to my knee on the inside. I had been off of the Percocet since week 2 and now at 5 1/2 weeks, I had to take them last night for the pain. I go back to the surgeon in 2 days, and I am angry that now he is going to see my recovery at a lower level than what I was last Wednesday before the PT set me back
Do make sure that you tell your surgeon how your PT set you back - what he did and the effect it has had on your knee. It isn't your fault.

As for the PT, tell him too and let him know that he is not to push on your knee or try to bend it. He did harm. It it were me, I wouldn't let him touch my knee at all.
Remember in this situation that you're the boss. You're the only one with the right to say what will happen to your knee. You don't have to please your PT. He has to please you.
 
Do make sure that you tell your surgeon how your PT set you back - what he did and the effect it has had on your knee. It isn't your fault.
Yes---speak up and tell your surgeon what happened---it is not your faul and you were doing fine until the PT hurt you.

As for the PT, tell him too and let him know that he is not to push on your knee or try to bend it. He did harm. It it were me, I wouldn't let him touch my knee at all.
I would have a strong talking-to with the PT and the PT's superior---let them know what happened, what kind of pain you are in, and what you expect them to do.

Remember in this situation that you're the boss.
Yes---I know that it is difficult to do, but you have to be strong and vocal and let them know that you will not allow them to cross certain lines and you are the boss. Do this:
[Bonesmart.org] Three weeks post op, so glad I found this forum

Draw that line in the sand and do not let them cross it!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom