THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Reassured by the explanation of the zaps and zingers. However, I feel generally more tired and more down and less physically able than I did a couple of weeks ago. I also have some discomfort on my outside thigh just above my knee on the operated side. I know from reading other people’s posts that this is all within the ‘normal’ of post THR recovery. I just expected to continue to see improvement and now I seem to be going backwards.
 
This image says it all! Ups and down, twists and turns along the way. Normal.
I hope you're having a good day!

[Bonesmart.org] THR - Two years post-op and doing well
 
@Layla @Jaycey
Thanks for the reminders.
It’s 5pm here, a lovely sunny evening if a bit chilly, but I have taken myself off to bed for a lie down. I haven’t had a really bad day, just a day of feeling a bit despondent that the recovery isn’t the straight line graph but rather more like the curly one with a few more aches and pains than before.
I do wonder really what I would have done without this forum because there is no way here in the uk that we get any useful information about what the recovery might entail, other than the restrictions, the exercises, going back to work at 6 weeks (really!) and that it can take a year to recover.
All the information, feedback, reassurance in this site has been so valuable - hats off to you all.
 
@Eman85 - I think that’s probably what happened. I’ve read it all on other people’s posts so I don’t know why it came as a surprise and made me feel down.
Already feeling more positive and spent my resting time earlier this evening getting organised.
 
Last edited:
Hello to you @Gloucestergal65 Try not to worry about the zinging and the zapping and stiff around incision etc etc I think it's part of the process, good progress then oops a bit backwards then yippee forwards then oh dear (or words to that effect) and backwards again. My first one I think took a year to be really good even though I was back at work after 4 months. Then after a year my other one started getting worse, thank you osteoarthritis . This hip is 5 months and I make progress then regress etc etc

For me it appears to be a long process and I am really impatient so cleverly overdo it so it takes even longer.....for others might be quicker but either way there are a few hiccups (hiccoughs) along the way.
 
Beginning of week 11 and enjoying a cold beer after my physio appointment.
She confirmed needle-like pains are the nerves regenerating and nothing to worry about.
She did some ‘trigger point therapy’ on the ITB which was causing a bit of discomfort on the outside of my lower thigh. Hopefully that will improve things and I can try and do it myself if I need to in the future.
I asked about the Trendelenberg gait and she asked me to walk without sticks which I can do but I lurch about. As I was walking she asked me to march which again I could do although I was still lurching about. She said that sometimes it is just your brain remembering that’s how you walk and the marching stops you doing it. If you continue lurching then it means it’s muscle weakness. Interesting. So basically keep walking, use two sticks outside, do the exercises and hope it’ll improve as the glutes improve.
Averaging 1.6 miles a day walking, more than I’ve been able to do since 2019. Yay!
Bumped into my neighbour and reassured him that I’m not in pain, just concentrating on proper waking. He has a lot of issues with his back and hips and is waiting for decisions to be made for a way forward.
He’s watched the THR videos in preparation, something I can’t quite bring myself to do although I do enjoy a good medical drama. A bit too close for comfort.
So all good, onwards and upwards.
Lots of appointments made today as well, hair, podiatrist, dentist, hygienist and a pile of stuff ready for recycling.
A productive day and mood is definitely better.
More frog activity in the pond too as well as flowers blooming in the garden. Spring is springing.
 
Walking with proper form outweighs distance or speed. It took me my first THR to really understand but the one thing I learned with my first was my shopping cart PT. Walking very slow with good posture out in public like on the walking track really made me stick out. In the big super store I just blended in as most just walk slow as they shop. No walker, canes or crutches just the shopping cart for great stability.
 
Love shopping cart therapy that Eman suggests. I remember last year when I posted about going to big box store and riding on one of the little scooters they supply Eman suggested better exercise with shopping cart and I never looked back!
Still enjoy grocery shopping.
 
I do wonder really what I would have done without this forum because there is no way here in the uk that we get any useful information about what the recovery might entail, other than the restrictions, the exercises, going back to work at 6 weeks (really!) and that it can take a year to recover.
Thankyou for sharing your experiences. I have been going through the squizzly path this week and felt like I was going backwards and getting quite depressed about it. I haven't had any professional explain any of this to me, it's been doing some research on the internet and reading other's experiences that helps me, for when you understand what is happening, it makes the experience more acceptable and a little less frightning. I am off work for 6 weeks, but have already decided that I need more time off, though not sure whether I will be able to obtain the sick note for it.
 
We all need to advocate for ourselves in this crazy healthcare climate.
I agree if it wasn't for this forum and the education and information provided to me over this past year no clue what I would have done.
It's an invaluable resource.
Stay well eeryone.
 
Hi @Gloucestergal65 :wave:

I'm a bit late to the party, and I'm glad you got some reassurance but I definitely had the "out of nowhere" zaps and pangs...and it was well over the first year before the travelling pains of recovery didn't invoke some fleeting feelings of concern... is this normal? is this okay? what was that about? Jeez:hairpulling:
Getting my confidence back was a bit tricky as I've never been an overly cautious person but I found myself entertaining scenarios that, pre-surgery, never crossed my mind.

Driving in heavy traffic...what if I get in a wreck? Falling... I have TWO bionic hips...how to fall?
Life, as we all know, is a leap of faith and as time goes by... I know my bionic hips are strong and I am perhaps not as wild in some of my ATV riding or weekend warrior play...
but the anxiety abates along with these annoying niggles.
You will get there!
 
I got a call today about starting hydrotherapy next week. I knew I was on the list but i didn’t expect it to be quite so soon because I know there is a waiting list. I am 10 weeks post op and the hydrotherapy is through the physio department I have been going to.
I can see that there will be benefits but having said yes, I am now feeling ridiculously nervous, mostly about getting changed, navigating the poolside and getting in and out of the pool. I’m still using two sticks when out to get rid of the limp.
Anyone got any helpful tips or observations?
 
It can definitely feel like this sometimes...:unsure:
Try to only give it a limited bit of rental space in your head as much is much to do about nothing.
It DOES get better!
 
Hi @Gloucestergal65 , I have been away from the forum for a while (busy enjoying my new hips aged 1 and 4 which are now both working perfectly after a slow recovery) so I have only just caught up with your thread. I think I am just up the road from you, near Malvern.

I haven’t any tips about hydrotherapy, but when I was contemplating it after Hip 1, I had the same anxiety. I bought a pair of non slip swimming shoes in preparation. Then covid arrived and the pools all shut, and the shoes are still unworn! But I think that if hydrotherapy is prescribed, then the folk in charge will be very experienced in assisting with the whole process. Just go in with the thought that you are trying it to see if it will be helpful, and you can back out at any time if it seems not to be what you need. Be open with them about your anxiety and ask for support.

And if you don’t want it, I imagine that most hippies never have it and recover fine without it.
 
pair of non slip swimming shoes in preparation
What did you buy out of interest? I started to have a look but just got a bit bamboozled by the range of what was available and not enough info about how non slip they were. Also, many seemed to be for the sea. @Klassy
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom