Guest viewing is limited

THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Just managed a step count today of just over 5000 steps, 2 miles, in 3 walks plus chores around the house. Feeling stronger but the cold weather and potential for me ice make me feel a bit tentative when out. Going to have a glass of red wine to celebrate this evening. 6 week check on Monday.
 
Five and a half years post op and I still feel anxious navigating the icy pavement. Sounds like you're doing well with the walking.

Enjoy the vino and best wishes for you appointment on Monday. Let us know how it goes. Have a lovely weekend!
@Gloucestergal65
 
Hi @Gloucestergal65 Just catching up with your thread - good to hear how well you are progressing. My step count pre-op was often less than 1000, no idea if I'll ever get to the levels you mention but then I do still have a knackered ankle to contend with. Advice from surgeons was to get second hip done before thinking about ankle - aiming for better gait overall. Today will be day 11 and I still haven't ventured outside.
 
After the 5000+ steps on Friday I only managed 250 on Saturday. I wasn’t in any pain but I was exhausted and the freezing fog outside didn’t help. Perhaps less is more.
Hi @Newhip_Pol - Just to say I didn’t make it outside until day 12 when I delivered two Xmas cards to my neighbours.
 
Congrats on 5,000 steps, I love tracking my step count as well as my gait.
Hope you enjoyed that wine, nothing quite like it on a chilly evening.
 
6 week check went well. Cleared to drive (when I feel confident enough), cleared to swim (as long as I don’t fall over or do frog legs), basically take things gently and slowly and don’t try to touch my toes! My toenails still need cutting so that is still a job for my OH
I was pondering today about summer surgery versus winter surgery and although in many ways it is more challenging when it’s cold and frosty, my desire to improve means I am getting out for a couple of walks a day whereas I might normally just curl up indoors with a good book in this sort of weather. Hopefully I will see a big improvement by the summer.
 
Comparing first hip (May - lovely summer weather) with second (January - cold/frosty and/or wet and miserable plus first gas then cable folk digging up the roads and pavements). I was out and about by this stage the first time around but no inclination to go outside this time. Focusing on moving around the house and up and down stairs using one crutch. Contemplating short car journey as passenger to meet family in a few days, maybe visit shopping or garden centre.
 
Mine was winter surgery and I think it was best for me cause it became darker earlier outside and I'd lay on my bed and watch Netflix or Prime and not feel like I was missing anything.
When I broke my ankle it was 7/5, surgery 4 days later, cast for 4 weeks, partial weight bearing and September rolled around before I knew it, it was a very depressing summer for me indeed.
 
Sorry, @myglasshalffull to hear your broken ankle led to such a depressing summer. I broke my ankle many years ago (it's now a problem due to arthritis) but I don't remember much about the recovery except it took a long long time. Suspect the shock of the injury doesn't help. Planned surgery does have some advantages
 
Newhip,
Should have been more clear about ankle, that happened almost 4 years ago so long recovered, also have arthritis in that foot, some days I feel like it's through my entire body! LOL!
Neither hip or ankle surgery was planned, both resulted due to falling. Missed last two carpeted stairs in my house and broke the ankle (go figure), and hip I slid on patch of ice and rest is history.
Just not as graceful as I used to be.
 
Getting towards the end of week 7. What’s new?
I’ve started putting bio-oil on the scar and massaging it - still some numbness in parts and tenderness in others but it all looks good although sometimes a general feeling if soreness in the evenings. Still a bit of swelling too I think.
Still managing 4000+ steps a day - 2/3 walks outside weather permitting and ADL. Was hoping for more this week but I have had a heavy cold and have been feeling a bit feeble.
I think the biggest issue for me is going to be in my head. FEAR! WORRY! ANXIETY!
So many things to worry about and TBH posts about infection, dislocation, things going wrong and now cobalt (my implant is cobalt) are NOT reassuring! And reports from people I know who know someone who blah blah blah …
My son has a health issue and was checking out a forum himself and then made the point to me (some years ago now) that you probably see more people with problems on them searching for answers than you do people who are well and busy getting on with life. I thought that was a good point. So I may try to limit my time here although as I have said before, I have found it enormously helpful up until now.
 
:wave: @Gloucestergal65
Getting confidence back and limiting the "what ifs" mindset ... I think many of us have struggled with this to some extent.
you probably see more people with problems on them searching for answers than you do people who are well and busy getting on with life. I thought that was a good point.
True. Smart guy, your son.

But it also why I like to see the good, honest recovery stories on the forum, where there weren't necessarily complications, but common struggles that show how we DO improve and get through our concerns to get back to healthy and happy
 
@Mojo333 Absolutely agree with you over the common struggles that people get over - that’s what I want to read about, to help me with the hyper vigilant niggles I feel every day that I am reassured will go away, but some of the stories are rather terrifying and those are the ones I need to avoid.
 
I've been in that worry mindset, worrying about falling again, worrying about dislocation, I just want to get up one day and not think about this "fake" hip. Even though I'm back to my normal routine still all in back of my mind.
I think we all have these issues in recovery and even later into recovery.
So you are not alone.
 
I definitely ran up on poor members' threads that made me more anxious, and did avoid them when necessary for self care.:unsure:
What I did find useful, however... was to go to hippy's threads who were a year or more out and singing praises, and checking out their complaints/concerns at various points in their recovery timeline..
I just checked out my recovery from almost 6 years out...
I worried about sharp pains, dull pains, my incision healing, my groin pain. et cetera et cetera.
Here is a 5 week post op post
Truthful update for those who happened to be following my recovery.
Overview:
Week 1 - relief, alot of pain and meds, anxiety over putting weight on new hips, only made small trips to bathroom, bed, recliner
Week 2 - Bad PT experience, more mobility, more pain, wondering why I did this, lot of dozing
Week 3 - Longer walking, realization hips were actually fixed, all pain was post op not hips, started to overdo
Week 4 - able to skip some pain meds, backed off of overdoing, more measured schedule of walking, easy home PT and able to go to office for several hours per day, consistent icing and elevating, though feeling so much better physically better...post op blues catching up with all the weird new muscle aches and pains
5 Weeks - (present) Doing super well! Still get so tired with average activity, still icing in middle of day and evening. For having both my legs cut off and new hips put in...I am doing extremely well. Can't believe I get caught up on the little things that are still bugging me and worrying about what could still happen instead of celebrating how absolutely great my recovery is coming in the big picture... Not sweating the small stuff! I am so lucky.
 
Almost 6 years out, I am running around most days like my old 20 year old self...
other things can ache... but my hips and legs are Amazing!
 
Same day as previous post - towards the end of week 7.
Feeling more positive this afternoon. Finally got my toenails cut by my OH, not to my exacting standards but adequate.
Did the RSPB Garden Watch - I think numbers and variety are down this year sadly.
And best of all I walked into the city centre this afternoon, had coffee and cake in the bookshop, bought a couple of books for my granddaughter on a voucher I was given last June when I retired, and almost made it all the way home again. 6,200 steps. Legs and hips and back OK. One arm quite tired from bearing weight in opposite side to surgery. Feeling great, with a celebratory . Just hope I feel ok tomorrow and haven’t joined the ODIC.
 
Didn’t join the ODIC but felt very tired the following day so I had a quiet day with just a short walk to the local park. The birds were enjoying a bit of sunshine and it sounded like spring.
Today is the beginning of Week 8 - not sure where the time has gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom