Guest viewing is limited

THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

The good sleeping didn’t last. Yesterday was a bit of a downer. Tired, lacking the energy and motivation to do anything much. I always find January a difficult month and the realisation of how long this recovery is going to take hit me hard. The early rapid progress lulled me into a false sense of security.
Today is another day and I am going to try to be more motivated.
A question - I use two sticks outside for walking. I feel as though I am putting a lot of weight on the stick on the non operated side and I’m wondering how and when this eases off a bit.
 
I found my shoulders suffered using any of the assistive devices early on, guess we don't realize we are placing pressure on places our bodies are not used to.
However, the devices are a necessary part of our recovery.
You are not even a month into your journey so take it easy on yourself.
This is a marathon recovery for many of us, you will feel down and like you aren't progressing but you will in time.
I wish you the best.
 
Already feeling much better today. Had a productive morning - exercises, strip wash, washed my hair over the sink (can’t quite face the shower yet), packed away Xmas decorations, prepped lunch, messaged friends and it’s still only midday. The awful weather of this morning is improving so off for a walk shortly. I find this forum so helpful and reassuring for the stories from people who are going through or have gone through many of the same issues.
I’m also managing quite well on one stick around the house. Onwards and upwards.
Still need help with my right sock and right shoe, otherwise I can be independent.
 
Week 5 - finished the blood thinner injections yesterday so hopefully my bruised and battered stomach will now recover, walking a little bit more each day - trying to walk more slowly and carefully to improve my gait (iPhone says asymmetry now 99.4% instead of 100%, a tiny improvement but nevertheless an improvement), my weight is back to normal instead of being a stone and a half heavier (freaked me out until I read why), sleeping well at last (taken out the napping during the day has helped), the weather is improving and there is more daylight, we looked after our granddaughter last week as usual so everything is on the up and improving slowly.
I do feel a bit impatient at times but I’m trying hard to relax and go with the flow.
One new thing is heel pain which I have heard others speak of. Whether from back sleeping or manipulation during surgery, who knows. I only get it when lying down and only on the foot of the operated side so I’m trying to put a pillow under it but unfortunately that keeps slipping out.
2nd physio appointment this afternoon.
Something I’ve realised during this process is that I am a way more anxious person than I ever realised.
Onwards and upwards.
 
I do feel a bit impatient at times but I’m trying hard to relax and go with the flow
You are at the point in recovery where many go wrong. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean your body is ready. Only 5 weeks into a process that can take one year or longer is very early days. Slow and steady is the best approach.

Regarding the heel pain. I had this and developed a pressure sore post LTHR. I bought some blister plasters for the heel. Worked great!
 
It’s not exactly a sore patch that requires a plaster, more of a dull achey I don’t like this position feeling. I’m going to keep working in the pillow and try to anchor it somehow under more of leg than just the foot.
On a positive note, I joined my Italian class this morning via Zoom and my brain seemed to be working reasonably well -after a 4 week gap it is always a bit hazy at the best of times.
 
One thing you might try is following a bath towel lengthwise and put it under that leg. Make sure the towel lines up to end just at your heel so that it is slightly off the bed.

Well done on your language class. Many people struggle with brain fog post op.
 
@Gloucestergal65 , I began to have aches in one heel around week 6. I bought a little wooden roller foot massager off Amazon that claimed to get the circulation going. I roll both feet over it about 5 minutes each. Knock in wood but the aches are gone. I also sleep with a pillow under my heels.
 
I recall being prescribed mini squats during my post-hip physio. I have a horizontal grab bar in the shower and found that was a good place to do them - after/during a steamy water 'warm up,' and with no clothing in the way - it was easy to make sure my knees didnt extend past my toes and the bar gave secure support.
 
At 4 1/2 weeks I’ve been going great guns and today I passed the mile milestone in number of steps in two walks. Asymmetry now 94-96% instead of 100%. Walking feels more fluid. However, slight weak, nervy feeling on the outside edge of my foot and shin on the operated side. Manageable and I’m guessing just my nerves waking up. Worse, a shooting pain in my buttock on the operated side when I leant forward in my chair and possibly also slightly twisted to pick up my granddaughter who is quite heavy at 18 months. My own stupid fault obvs. I got up and walked around, took some painkillers and moved around very gingerly. Now reclining in the bed and hoping it’ll be gone by the morning. I guess just muscular or I wouldn’t be typing this. A moment’s I attention as I’m feeling a bit more confident. Does this mean I’ve joined the ODIC?
 
@Gloucestergal65 It does sound like you may have joined the ODIC. Especially with the "I leant forward in my chair and possibly also slightly twisted to pick up my granddaughter who is quite heavy at 18 months" ... I think it's a bit early in your recovery to be doing this maneuver. Though I completely understand the need to hug and pick up a grandchild :) Sounds to me like you just strained some muscles ... if you'd dislocated that new hip you would definitely know it!
 
Luckily no ill effects today - 3 rules broken there, the 90degree rule, the twisting rule and the lifting rule. A reminder to take care. Managed 3 walks today outside the house - 4000 steps (the most I’ve managed in a very long time). Walking asymmetry down to 90% on the third walk. Wondering now about the One Step programme for gait training. Does anyone in the UK have experience of using it? And has it been helpful if you have? Planning a little outing tomorrow to an art exhibition. It will be my first time being outside other than walking around the block. Exciting stuff.
 
It has been a lovely, crisp sunny day. Makes going out for a walk so much more appealing than the gloomy, grey, cold, damp, drizzly days of late.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary...one day late.
I hope you enjoy the art exhibit on Saturday and the sun shines for you again. :SUNsmile:
Take good care!
@Gloucestergal65
 
This going to sound stupid I’m sure when I hear the answer but your surgery was the same as mine December 12. Monday you said week five and I’m calling it week four lol.
 
Just a thought...
After the first month, or two, I found it easier to use the day of the month (12th) to mark time because soon, if not already, you will stop counting weeks.
 
You had me at.....
'Came around in recovery just after 1pm....
By 2pm I was sitting up in bed with a cup of coffee...'
That was always my last request in the OR as I was going under.. COFFEE WHEN I WAKE UP. Lol!!
Welcome to BoneSmart!
 
Into week 6 post op. Physio yesterday so was quite lazy the rest of the day but over the weekend I managed to walk a mile in 40 minutes on Saturday and Sunday with a daily step count of over 4000. This week I want to continue and to build on that. The area around my scar feels a bit tender but I notice that the numbness has gone so I guess it’s all just waking up a bit. Another challenge this week is getting my OH to cut my toenails.
 
over the weekend I managed to walk a mile in 40 minutes on Saturday and Sunday with a daily step count of over 4000. This week I want to continue and to build on that.

Wow, you are doing really well for just a month into your recovery, @Gloucestergal65!

It's great that you want to continue to build on your progress, but don't try to push too hard too soon or you will end up on the Over Did It Club (ODIC )bench -- something I did quite often in both of my recoveries! Remember, slow and steady wins this race.

:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom