THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Hi both!
I stiffen up if walk beyond a mile so not there yet. I do prefer swimming…

One thing I do is deliberately leave things upstairs in my house so I make myself walk up them at least 6 x a day to collect bits and pieces. . This is helping.
 
Arrived in Italy today. I managed to deal with busy airports at both ends and had clocked up 2.5 miles by the time I left the second airport. Lugging my bag up and down stairs in a crowd and even just wheeling it was quite a challenge but I did it all without my stick.
Then an afternoon walk clocked up another two miles (using my stick this time) and now I’m a little tired and a little footsore.
Time for an early night after not getting much sleep at all last night.
As usual, worrying is often worse than the reality. :happydance:
 
Sounds like you really are ready for this trip.

Enjoy your holiday in Italy! I'm envious :wink:
 
@SurreyGirl The trip is going really well. The weather was terrible to start with but not as bad as on the news reports for Northern Europe. And now it’s brightened up considerably. Managing all the walking required, sometimes with a stick later in the day or on rough, wet cobbles in the dark. Eating way too much but the food is so good (pasta with truffles this evening). And speaking a lot of Italian which is the whole point of the trip. So glad I came and didn’t let the anxiety take over. :wave:
 
@Gloucestergal65 sounds like you're having a fabulous time. Its probably a good thing you are using the stick in the dark and on the wet cobblestones. Those things can throw you off even if you aren't recovering. I remember trying to manage walking without falling on my face when in Germany, long before my hip ever acted up.

You're on vacation, no such thing as too much food! Continue to enjoy yourself!
 
The trip went really well but I’m having a quiet couple of days recovering both mentally and physically. Speaking Italian most of the time and averaging 3 hilly miles a day, staying on the top floor (52 steps) of the B&B had knocked the stuffing out of me but in a good way. And in spite of eating and drinking well (it was Italy after all) I only put on half a pound.
Now to try to continue the weight loss and keep the exercise momentum going.
Someone today said that every pound lost is equivalent to three less on your knees and four less on your hips. I know that lugging my case around definitely made me think about the excess weight I’m lugging around!
Happy October to everyone. :happyfeet:
 
All that walking kept the weight off from all the eating!!! LOL!
I'm always so tired when I return from a vacation. Takes me a day or two to get back to feeling myself.
Sounds like you had a great time.
 
Just back from a week’s holiday with family. A bit of a struggle visiting Clovelly - a steep slope down on a cobbled surface. My hip complained a bit and I feel the need to do some pressure point release on some knotty muscles. I opted for a landrover ride back up and strangely enough my kids and their partners opted for that too. My granddaughter said it was like being on a merry go ride. Otherwise all good except being with three very tall skinny young men who need to eat all the time won’t have done my weight loss any good. But at the end of the day, life needs living and I’m glad to be able to do so.
 
Welcome back home, Gloucestergal! It sounds like fun was had by all, aside from your need to deal with a cranky hip on occassion. I'm sure as a group you created a lot of fun memories to reflect upon now that you're back in your own comfy home.
Thanks for the update. I hope you enjoy the weekend! :wave:
@Gloucestergal65
 
Happy to hear you are getting out & about & we all challenge ourselves physically at times & then "the hip" lets us know about it.
But generally we are fine in a day or two after resting.
Enjoy!
 
I was asked today if I would be happy to be Member of the Month at the Leisure Centre I go to. Specifically by the Tai Chi teacher who has noticed a huge improvement in my ability to now do all the moves unaided (some are still a bit wobbly) whereas to start with I always needed a chair. I guess it’s to encourage older people in a similar situation to see that they too can make improvements in their mobility. It’s nice when someone else notices. :hi:
 
Back
Top Bottom