THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Thanks @Layla
I’ve started massaging again with bio oil and the itching has stopped. I don’t even know if it is actually because of the oil but as long as it’s stopped I’m happy. I think the hyper vigilant anxiety still gets to me at times.
My back was good enough to manage Tai Chi yesterday.
So onwards and upwards.
All good eighteen months post op. :hi:
 
Itching has eased. Phew’
Now for another question-
I have always been pigeon-toed, so much so that I did ballet as a child to help which I’m sure it did to some extent.
Since the operation, my OS leg no longer turns in, if anything I think it turns out slightly.
Could this be the reason that I still have a slight limp 18 months out?
As in, the muscles needed to walk upright have been altered after 60+ years of walking in a particular way and are not happy to adapt to a new gait.
I am trying to work on them, but progress (if any) is slow!
 
Had my annual medication review for taking Levothyroxine for an under active thyroid. After some confusion being told my results were borderline and requesting repeat blood tests in a month, and an anxious few days, I finally managed to speak to a GP who managed to reassure me that it was only one result not three results as the Receptionist had said, that it was marginally abnormal and probably the result of dehydration. Fingers crossed. Communication is no longer a strength of the NHS.
Anyway, as a consequence and as a result of some googling, I am now on a mission to become healthier and to lose weight. All of which will also be good for my joints. My interim target is to lose a stone and a half but really I do need to lose more than that.
Oil, butter, cheese, bread, wine, crisps, nuts are my biggest weaknesses.
Good luck to all and thanks for the support.
 
19 months post op and some positive things to report. I’ve lost half a stone since I last posted and I’m feeling less sluggish and with less GERD. I walked all day today without a stick (nearly four miles in total) although I am still limping slightly. Today I met with a Personal Trainer who is hopefully going to help me get rid of it.
Hope everyone’s doing well.
Summer seems to be over here in the UK so no need for the sandals I’ve been meaning to buy.
 
Thank you for updating us. That weight off should help with pressure on joints and with overall metabolism.

The limp can be a reflection of anything from pelvis to feet, so hopefully the trainer will make a difference in figuring it out. And yes, the straightening of your leg is a likely candidate for the cause.

Onward to your next milestones!
 
3.2 miles walk this morning, again without my stick. All I can say is that, aside from the limp, it is a lot more effort full and a lot more tiring for some reason. :chinstroke:
 
I recommend using the stick until the limp is solved.
To take long walks while limping is to keep misaligning your entire structure, setting it more firmly into a pattern of some muscles and tendons being shortened and others stretched.
Your stick should allow you to continually model better structure while you and your trainer work on the underlying issues.
 
Getting conflicting advice @mendogal
Have been doing half and half.
This week I’m trying without altogether.
Walking asymmetry in my phone interestingly is lower even with the slight hitch/limp.
I’ll keep you posted on how I get on.
Have a nice day. ☀️
 
Twenty months post THR and nothing really to report which I would say is a good thing!
Still have a slight limp (more of a slight lurch really) and I carry a collapsible walking stick with me in case I feel I need it, especially on rough ground or when I’m tired. The heel-toe walking seems more effortful.
Still not 100% comfortable sleeping on the operated side but I can usually move into a comfortable position on that side.
One thing I noticed today was the wear pattern on the shoes I have been wearing since the op. The OS the wear pattern is level. The non OS the wear pattern is uneven. I think it might be time to see a Podiatrist.
Acqua aerobics is going well, loving Tai Chi and no longer need a chair. Walking an average of two miles a day and I’ve lost a stone in weight. Off to Italy in ten days time so I’ll be working hard to maintain that weight loss.
And I’m going to be a grandmother again in the spring.
Happy autumn everyone. :yay:
 
Great update! Tai Chi, walking 2 miles a day, weight loss: you are doing really well.

Enjoy your upcoming trip (Italy is one of my favorite places in the world!) ... and congratulations on your future new grand baby!
 
Hi there! So glad you are doing well. I’m doing aqua aerobics, acqua Zumba and Poolates - all of which are fun. . I’m just over a year out from
My op now and also have a few issues side sleeping but it is getting better. Your forthcoming holiday sounds wonderful as does the walking. Did you diet as well to lose that weight or was it purely the walking?

Just to say that I have found your postings very useful particularly the posts re the recovery post one-year…. It is really helping me to have more realistic Expectations re my recovery. I think I was expecting things after a year to be completely back to normal.

Btw I thrive in warm weather so have ordered some thermals from m and s to keep my legs warm for outside walks in the colder months .

Have a great holiday!
 
Last edited:
@SurreyGirl - I bit the bullet and joined Slimming World and slowly, slowly the weight is coming off. Not sure if I posted this before but I no longer need to take antacid at night (unless I’ve eaten later than normal, or more than normal or had something richer than normal, or had some wine - all of which I enjoyed last night with friends ).
I guess if we knew the reality of the recovery, it would be something else that would put us off doing it.
The reality hasn’t been perfect but at least the pain has gone and I’m feeling fitter and healthier than I have in years.
Now I need to work on getting up and down off the floor without a chair to help …
Take care.
 
@SurreyGirl - the posts started out for my benefit really but I have also read a lot of posts in the last eighteen months. Mostly I have found them really helpful. One or two have freaked me out! So I guess for others having one or two that aren’t scary are helpful. Although, as I said early on I think, the only people on forums are there searching for answers when things aren’t right rather than out there getting on with their new lives. I suppose I was often in here with the ‘is this normal’ mindset when my hyper vigilance kicked in. :heehee:
 
I came to bonesmart with every question & concern imaginable! But I'm still here because I received so much positive benefit & hope I can relieve another persons concerns that might be just beginning recovery.
I also think we all find our own way after awhile as to what works for us individually.
This is not a "one size fits all recovery."
So I continue to learn & contribute when I can.
Your journey hasn't been perfect but you have listened to your body & learned what works for you!
 
@SurreyGirl - I bit the bullet and joined Slimming World and slowly, slowly the weight is coming off. Not sure if I posted this before but I no longer need to take antacid at night (unless I’ve eaten later than normal, or more than normal or had something richer than normal, or had some wine - all of which I enjoyed last night with friends ).
I guess if we knew the reality of the recovery, it would be something else that would put us off doing it.
The reality hasn’t been perfect but at least the pain has gone and I’m feeling fitter and healthier than I have in years.
Now I need to work on getting up and down off the floor without a chair to help …
Take care.
You and me both! Take care and onwards and upwards (literally in our cases)
 
@Gloucestergal65 please keep providing updates! At one year for my right hip- it is nice to see what others are experiencing or dealing with. Congratulations on the weight loss! My weight is staying put it seems. How far and often are you walking? I walk a lot during my work day but my body does not count that as exercise.
 
@Hippie Chick - I don’t seem to be able to get my average up beyond 2 miles a day although I’ve been trying. Some days it just doesn’t happen. Other days I do way more. The vile weather kept me indoors most of yesterday and a day’s singing workshop was fun but didn’t involve a lot of walking so really it’s all a bit hit and miss as I get on with life. :hiking:
 
I probably need to add walking but daily life with 3 month old lefty leaves me tired. I still struggle with hills. Hope your weather improves!
 
Back
Top Bottom