THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Woohoo! :yay::happydance: So awesome, Gloucestergal!
Thanks for stopping by to share the great news.
All the best in 2025!
@Gloucestergal65
 
Great update! On my two year anniversary last year I was able to hike mountains once again! Rock scrambles & all. We spend first two weeks of February on St. John, USVI every year for my birthday (2/2).
We will be leaving 1/30 this year! Love it!
I found Year 2 to be the best!
Continued good health!
 
Another small update. My acqua aerobics has for whatever reason disappeared and there is a Pilates class that could potentially replace it. I have never done Pilates and until now I have been put off by the getting down on the floor and getting up again. It is something I promised myself I would practice but in fact I haven’t really with any regularity so I thought I would start today. Lo and behold I got down and back up again without hanging on to the bed for support. Another tiny miracle. So now I’ve got no excuse not to go to Pilates. ‍♂️
 
@Gloucestergal65 that is awesome! Definitely go checkout the Pilates. It may become your new thing in life!
 
First Pilates class today. It definitely highlighted the continuing weakness around the hip replacement so that’s something I need to work on some more.
I also felt a bit sick and a bit faint about two thirds of the way through.
I will persevere though.
Onwards and upwards.
 
I also felt a bit sick and a bit faint about two thirds of the way through.
Oh no...too much too soon, I'm sorry. Hope you were hydrated and not in need of a snack or meal. Stay hydrated before during and after and make sure you've eaten at least a light balanced snack before hand, if you're not doing so already.
Go s-l-o-w. I hope you felt better quickly and do well next session. Take care, GG! :friends:
@Gloucestergal65
 
@Gloucestergal65 I'm glad you went to the class. Good thing about it highlighting some of the weaknesses you still have is you know what to work on.

I know some years back I was trying to get moving and building myself back up so I joined a kickboxing class. First class I went to I thought I was going to die! I had to stop and go out to get some water and just breathe a little before I could go back in. The instructor, while s really nice guy had his class geared more for the hard core exercisers.

I found out they had these classes at numerous locations so tried another and found one that suited me much better. But I definitely learned to bring water with me and stop if I needed to.

Same thing before my hip replacement, started a Zumba class and got all shaky and stuff so had to stop, drink water and give myself time to regroup a little. Luckily I had spoken with the instructor before class so she knew I was new and said feel free to take a break at any time if you need to. Adjust your movements as needed so you're not jarring your hip.

Just take it slow and easy, no shame if you have to stop or slow up for a bit. You got this! :yay:
 
Thanks for your advice @Elf1 and @Layla. The same thing happened in the second class and my teacher also mentioned low blood sugar and dehydration.
I go to my weigh-in at Slimming World beforehand so I haven’t really eaten or drunk anything in morning before the Pilates. Stupid really and now that I’ve thought about it, I realise I really need to have breakfast and a drink!
Another reason for having an empty stomach is acid reflux which I sometimes get when I lie down so I will need to accommodate that too!
Nothing is ever straightforward.
:loll:
 
@Morgan Le Fay - It isn’t a quick fix for sure but this forum has helped me a lot to keep things in perspective and I’m improving in small ways all the time. The scribbly diagram of realistic progress compared to the straight line of expected progress helped me a lot. Good luck with your journey. :cheers:
 
Another great update! Isn't it great to be able to walk distances once again. With no ill effects. It's the best! Continued success.
 
Haven’t posted for a while. All good except I did something to my back reaching to turn off the tap and was a bit of a wreck for a few days. Improving now but just a little reminder that my body is not as robust as it once was!
 
Ugh! I hate when I tweak my back, and recently was suffering with spasms along my ribs. You are right about the not being as robust but we simply need to keep moving and remain as strong as we are able to.
Mine came from doing a yoga routine to maintain my balance and posture. Go figure!
 
On a more positive point I had a great morning yesterday. A round trip of two miles to the river bank early in the morning through dewy blossom filled orchards in glorious sunshine to see a 4* Severn Bore - a local phenomenon. What I hadn’t anticipated was the 12 stiles there and 12 stiles back, mostly managed with ease although not with elegance! Small wins.
The day before on Mother’s Day I picnicked on a blanket on the ground (another small win) and went for a lovely walk in the country. All three adult children were home at the same time - a rare occurrence and probably hasn’t happened on Mother’s Day for fifteen years.
My neighbour has recently had back surgery and now seems to be struggling with his hip. Slowly worsening and loads of painkillers. Our system in the UK is so slow unless you have the money to pay privately.
Another sunny day beckons. I love Spring.
 
Great post & I guess Mother's Day is earlier in UK than here in US!
Our Mother's Day is in May. Wonderful all adult kids were around at same time.
I love Spring as well, my daffodils are coming up along with my tulips. I'm starting some seeds today in small pots for planting in mid May in my garden.
I have my eye on pansy's that are for sale just about everywhere right now, gong to grab some & plant in my giant coffee cup planter for some color on my front steps, they are such a happy looking flower!
This AM I'm off to the dog rescue to walk a couple of dogs, clean & then do my errands.
 
You're making my heart sing sitting here in my 1 week out recovery chair! What a beautiful update. I'm so, very pleased for you to have enjoyed life to the full in such idyllic circumstances. I'm up in Cumbria. Even we're having summer like weather on and off. Thanks for sharing because I'm imagining this may be me next year :flwrysmile:

I live alongside a fast tidal estuary. We are fortunate enough to get a 'bore' too. Quite an experience to watch. I've just had to pay for THR, literally all my savings. I was looking at a ten month minimum wait even on the urgent list.
 
Well...the things I learn on BoneSmart! Didn't realize a bore had any other definitions aside from something being dull or repetitive as in action or person. Searched it up and it looks like an interesting phenomenon to witness.
It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day, GG. Glad you had the loving attention of your three adult children on the special day. Thanks for stopping by and a belated Happy Mother's Day! :flwrysmile:
@Gloucestergal65
 
@Deni444 I had to use my savings too because I didn’t want to wait and I don’t actually regret it at all. I would have been faced with almost a year’s wait to see the consultant and probably that long again before the operation. So two more years of worsening and pain compared to two years of improvement and getting my life back. I don’t think I really appreciated how debilitating it all was.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom