Guest viewing is limited

THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you navigate to your username at the top @ochaye, and click in 'Alert Preferences' you can set up options to watch threads and receive email notifications :)
 
Hi @ochaye How did the colonoscopy go? I had one couple of years ago (strong family history of bowel cancer) but all was OK :). I remember the lovely cleansing drink! :sick: Better to have things sorted than left (says she, who was another of the I-don't-really-need-a-THR mob for too long!)
I'n nearly a year ahead of you in the THR stakes and still get funny niggles, realised in the last couple of weeks that I now have feeling back in the skin on my thigh, it's been numb since the op, but when I banged into something those "special" words got used! And that odd feeling of sitting on a block still hasn't gone either. Without this site, that would have really worried me!
Take care and remember marathon, not sprint!
Regards Anne
 
Nanny
painless.....but oh the prep!!!

normal and not even a polyp....I guess I must have IBS from the ank spon.we'll see


nurse said before the procedure that the most important thing to remember was to let out all your wind during the procedure!

not pleasant deflating in a room full of pretty nurses.....Paaaaaaaaarrrp:eeeuw:

started drinking prep liquid at 5 pm and finished toilet duties at 6 am.....you heard of a 3 hanky movie? well this was a 3 toilet roll prep fest

hope you are well...... and regular , and thanks for your concern :)
John
 
Hi there @ochaye. So glad that your results were clear....what a relief for you.... Yes, my hubby had a colonoscopy...he said he thought he would never stop 'going' and he thought he was a musical instrument with the 'wind'. Your IBS has probably escalated due to the stress of surgery...do hope it eases soon. How's your limp coming on? Mine is much better at 13 weeks, still a little lopsided and using one crutch outside. Going for hydrotherapy to try and strengthen the muscles. Take care...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Gosh John, as if you don't have enough to deal with. Well done on the results! Onward and upward!
 
hi H
limp not so bad, takes concentration and hard work. had "bad" hips for 8 or more years and LOTS of pain and wastage, so getting back to normal will take longer than most perhaps....but I am happy with progress. went out tonight in car for a meal without the cane for the first time, but I was always near the car in case I got sore

I have been walking a certain way for over 8 years so I am going to have to re educate myself somehow into walking correctly again. my surgeon gave me a clue....."walk across your living room with your arms outstretched as if on a tightrope"

you could be correct about the IBS link and stress...I have been through all sorts of horrors this past 18 months.

I have always said that there are 3 important dates to keep in mind with regards to THRs...6 weeks,12 weeks,6 months and 1 year. I feel quite confidant that by week 24 I should have made great strides forward .It's an on-going situation for me at least with my other probs (of the spine) and I am determined I shall not be beaten

though to be truthful sometimes it all gets me down......I was aware at the start of my pre op period that the fitter I was the quicker and easier the recovery would likely be, but with my ankylosing spondylitis it was a Herculean effort to get "fit"....month after month....after month.then came the op and the whole process stated all over again, only more difficult. I need a break from myself I think....oh I am beginning to rant,sorry

you would not believe the amount of folk who have said to me "oh it's the greatest thing I have ever done" (the THR) yes they are correct but it is for a lot of folk 6 months to a year of recovery, and it can wear one down

I am getting a visit on Monday from a Lady who is due two HRs over 3 months. she is petrified and I dare not tell her the truth of the matter about the pain over the course of those first few days. the op is a dawdle it's afterwards that's the killer

ach I have said enough .I have had a lot of unrelated worries today Chrissie. I'll probs be OK for tomorrow
thanks for asking after me
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I have been awarded a trophy" I don't know what it means but it sounds nice.... you peeps are so lovely and understanding:console2:

thank you from the bottom of my heart

Love Light and Peace
John

xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hi John @ochaye Have to agree that THR recovery period, for some of us, stretches far longer than expected. I suppose we think/ hope/ want the THR to be the universal panacea. Trouble is that when you've had other issues like spinal/neck it seems a long, long road. Some days it's easier to be optimistic than others. Do hope you have a better day today John....don't know about you..all I want is to get on with my life again. I can feel it happening...just! But agree it's probably going to be 6 months before the results are very evident. Congrats on leaving your crutch in the car ....I did this week too.....felt quite lost without it outside....was glad to get it back. Will let you know how the water therapy goes... To be honest I'm petrified I will slip over and put the hip out....I've become a baby during this process. Hope the weather not too bad for you.... It's beating down with rain here...just for a change!! When I read your posts John I can hear that lovely Scottish accent. Wishing you a much better day....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I would say 6 months to 1 year is realistic for most recoveries. I think what happens is many people see such a significant reduction in pain (at least bone on bone pain) post op it tends to "cloud" all the other recovery issues. Or maybe they just don't want to admit that recovery from major surgery isn't a "walk in the park"! John is right - it depends on what your situation was pre-op. If you spent years walking all wrong it's not going to be corrected in 6 weeks.

My recovery took over 12 months and I had the same questions and doubts you are having John. Hang in there - building strength and learning to walk again is a tough one. But you'll get there!
 
here's a few wee songs to gee you up should you feel a little down or sad or in need of some encouragement




 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ochaye. The Labe Siffre one is just one of my favourites .... Thanks for that Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @ochaye very inspiring. Glad your results were clear.

Good work on not using the cane too
 
@Josephine
Dear lovely Jo.....
next week will be week 20 post op. I can just about manage my way around a football park with no cane and very little in the way of a limp, my endurance eventually deserts me then it becomes quite painful in the socket area and I have to stop due to the pain or limp my way on, which of course is not recommended. as I am carrying my cane I use it immediately for a few yards and recovery is usually very quick and I will soldier on when pain subsides for another go at walking minus the cane.

I must say that every week brings some progress in my hip strength and I am very pleased with that, but at 20 weeks and still unable to ditch the cane! (I don't use the cane around the house to be fair, it's the long distances.....)

I "nursed" this hip for 8 or so years before taking the plunge so that would probably account for a lot of damage done to the hip and surrounding area and therefore an expected longer healing time.

do you think I am being unduly worried about my apparent slowness to heal? it does get me down
I see my OS in 3 weeks, do you think I should have any questions at this stage to ask him?

I AM making progress but it is so SLOOOOOOW!

you wouldn't believe the effort I put in to get fit ,pre op, for this THR ( at the very least, 6 months) only to come out the other side and discover that the effort to get "fit" again would take at least another six months or maybe even a year.

I THOUGHT I was prepared for this op.

thanks for your time and reply Jo.......I am just a little sour puss today

hope you had a guid new year and not too many advocaats :)
 
next week will be week 20 post op .... I "nursed" this hip for 8 or so years
As you said yourself, damaged caused over an 8 year span is not going to be sorted in a few months.

But the pain is unlikely to be in the socket or anything to do with your THR. It's much more likely in the muscles in your bum! Is this about the place where your pain is?


[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome


If so this is a Piriformis syndrome.
 
@Josephine
no Josephine ....the soreness is very close to my scar at the socket area at my buttock dimple
 
@Josephine
imagine, if you will for a moment, that I an holding on to the back of a dining room chair and bringing my knee up towards my chest. at some point in the operated hip there will be a "tightness" as it reaches it's maximum height.

this tightness I feel is in the same area, near my scar and surrounding my replaced socket, in my bum dimple.
by dimple I mean the hollow at the side of the buttock, not around the back. this is where I feel the soreness as pointed out in post 176
 
Okay, tell me on here.
Each square needs a double reference like so BR1 and say if it's front or back.


Also tell me what approach you had because I have no idea of that!


[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom