THR THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hippy12 are you using crutches or a stick at all? Your press sounds brilliant. I had my op the same day as yours but I still need a stick to prevent me limping
 
Oh my Hippy, do not go around skidding, gives me a scare for you. On the ice look down and watch out for those glassy surfaces. Sounds, like you are doing well and also quite committed as it is sooo.. cold out to walk.
 
Well, SPLD: I was this 'lucky gal' who got to be the first to use this private room in a brand new hospital wing that opened the week before my surgery. The problem with this was they weren't fully set up. I had trouble even getting those 'barf trays' to begin with. My husband brought his mother's old walker and my mother's old quad cane to the hospital. I started out using the walker, then the cane. The walker has a tray, so it was cool for cooking. I'd load it up at the fridge and bring everything to the stove that way.
Once I was home, my PT complained that the cane had too big a footprint for the terrain outside and the many stairs in this townhouse. (we live on 4 levels) So we went to Walmart and got a nice lightweight cane for stairs and outside. Then she taunted me about using the cane.. called it my security blanket. This was around week 2. (that's what happens when your pt turns out to be an old friend!). She conceded as long as I was 'lurching' every time I first got up, the cane should be used to keep my gait smooth. More important than dependency issues! It did make me determine to ditch the thing. I haven't used the cane the past couple of weeks, though, after sitting a while then getting up the first step tends to be a 'lurch'. I'm learning it's important to just stand on the operated leg and make sure the stride on the good leg is nice and long. My PT 'graduated' me on the 21st of December saying we'd met goals. My goal was to be able to walk the dog and sleep in the waterbed. This condo complex has a lot of "terrain". I feel very secure trudging through the snow in my Croc boots. Almost like the snow helps me 'grip'.
BTW, did you have trouble getting a PT on the day of surgery and Thanksgiving day? I never got one till the Friday. (surgeon had big fights with admin but got nowhere). Even though the regular nurses were supposed to have worked in an ortho unit .. they did not even want to walk me to the bathroom. I had to threaten to wet the bed! Finally, an aide showed she had a brain and found me this rolling thing they could sit me on and wheel over the terlet. :gaah:
 
Yes, Bellaroma! :sorry: I realized I should have watched where I was going. One of my neighbors who still works (I'm retired) has a little old dog needing lunchtime walks. He's very easy to walk and it gives her peace of mind. Her unit has too much of an incline. My little boisterous guy was yanking me in a direction opposite of the way I was planning to go, so I was giggling and said 'why not'.. when I should have been looking down.. whew!
 
Does anyone know what the big deal is about stairs? What is it that happens inside the operated leg if we just go up and down "normally"?
:shrug:
 
SPLD: I just noticed you're the one with the waterbed and no padded rails. You could improvise by folding a blanket over a few times and placing on the rail once you feel secure enough. Maybe that mattress topper from the spare bed would help too?
 
I'll throw a few answers out there-:) I did not get PT til the afternoon the day after my surgery - I kept asking why, as I've heard everybody get's up at least briefly on the day of, and was told they like to wait til the next day (i think it's just because PT had gone home by the time i got to my room)

On stairs- i'd guess it could put a little stress on the surgical wound, but i'd think it's more of a 'stability' issue, as you may not have the strength to do it right and then it's a falling risk. Myself- IIRC by week for i started to take the few steps in/out of my place normally- granted slowly and i had a firm grip on the rail and my cane :wink:
 
SPLD: I just noticed you're the one with the waterbed and no padded rails. You could improvise by folding a blanket over a few times and placing on the rail once you feel secure enough. Maybe that mattress topper from the spare bed would help too?

Had my first night back in the waterbed last night. I was just very cautious getting in and out but I had an excellent sleep. I just stretch my operated leg out when getting out of the bed then quickly get on the hard rail of the bed so my lower body doesn't sink in.

It's not too hard and I love being back in it. Actually typing this from there lol.
 
Also re stairs, think it's just to do with balance and falling rather than dislocation or anything, *I think*.

My PT gave me a good simple exercise to get some strength back in the muscles which prevent us limping - just going up the first step of your stairs with your operated leg and then coming back down. Repeat it 10x or so.

I think it really does help as I'm able to climb stairs without any aids/rails now.
 
Thanks, Davefd and Spld. I've been walking up and down the stairs "normally" whenever I have a free hand in case I have to hang on. If I'm carrying drinks or laundry, I still go the cautious way. When I first started going 'normally', especially the way down, I got a lot of lower calf pain so wondered what that was about.
Spld!! Congratulations! :yahoo: I'm so happy you were able to get back in the waterbed. I feel wonderful in there. I have a goosedown comforter on it. This morning I'm wondering at all the 'lumps'.. I had 2 extra pillows underneath. I guess every time I went to the bathroom, I'd grab another one when I'd get back to bed to put between my legs.
Today, we went to grandkid's Birthday party and my husband was telling everyone how noisy I get at night - even one flight down from him - I brushed my teeth around 3 am and he was saying he could hear me. (tattletale!) :blush:
 
Does anyone do this gait exercise where you alternately raise each knee up, then kick the raised leg out to the side? (10 reps) It's my favorite one I do when I first get up before I walk outside. The first one I do to warm up is march in place to music while I get coffee on and the kitties fed. :kittykiss:
 
I can't believe that Wednesday, I'll be 7 weeks out. At first, time seemed to go so slowly. Last night, I was thinking about what I can ask my surgeon at the 8 week appointment on the 15th. I couldn't think of anything.
This morning, as I'm thinking about taking my shower, I remembered.. When oh when can I take a bubble bath?
Once I do.. how the heck am I supposed to get out of the tub? When can I cut my own toenails on the right foot?
I've been taking care of hubby the past few days. He's got a stomach bug. I'm so glad I "could". He could barely move.
 
It sounds like you're doing well. Congrats. I get that sensation when reaching as well but I guess it doesn't do any harm. Be careful of that ice--it's one of the biggest reasons we moved from Mass. to Florida.
 
Giraffe44: That 'reaching thing' has finally cleared up, just as some posters said it would. I added some 'massage' in the shower for that part of my butt. I already massage both sides of the incision and have gotten rid of most of the 'hard tissue'. I decided that awful sensation was most likely adhesions breaking up.
I hear you about the ice, but with so much extended family around here (3 kids, 7 grandkids), we want to be close by. We refuse to become those people that live in the airports every holiday. :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks, Bellaroma. I've enjoyed the pictures you've posted. I so see you out there paddling in the water this coming summer! I think we live close to each other. If you have any doubts about your OS, you may want to try mine. His name is Lawrence Johnson. His office is right off Drum Hill in Chelmsford. He has all the diagnostic/xray/blood test facilities on site at 10 Research Place.
:whistle:
 
I see, Bellaroma.. you're right at the edge of RI. Doesn't make sense to travel, especially with all the back and forth when you're having major surgery.
 
Hubby tells me the first walk in the mornings I don't limp if I go fast. I feel strong in the mornings when the pooch and I walk him to his vehicle. Apparently, later in the day, especially when I slow down I still limp. (bah!) This of course, is other than the 'lurch' when I first get up after sitting too long. A neighbor, who is an OR nurse, even figured out which hip this afternoon. Now I wonder if I should go to outpatient PT. I guess I'll add that to my list of questions for next week. :headbang: :hairpulling:
 
Last night, I was thinking about what I can ask my surgeon at the 8 week appointment on the 15th. I couldn't think of anything.

I remember how much i anticipated that appt! First thing i asked was 'can i ride my bike?' :) - now I kind of wish wish he would have said 'not yet', even tho i would have been so bummed!

I'm also thinking about outpatient PT - definitely noticed my quads are awesome but the right hamstring is much weaker, even with my excercises.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom