Guest viewing is limited

THR THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davefd.. are you the person that overdid it on the bike? I've been reading through this forum and realize I don't even know which 'approach' the surgeon used. Scar is sort of on the side and rides toward the back. I'm so fussy. I will have to ask exactly what this hip is made of. He kind of told me but it was hard to focus and write things down with hubby in the room. Next time, I'll have my pad of paper out! One thing I'm very happy about is insisting on no staples. All he used was steri strips. I get allergic even to surgical steel, so I know I would have had oozing and draining. (which I did not). All I had that was scarey the first day was barfing and low blood pressure episodes.
 
Hippy....more than likely your surgeon also applied a surgical glue to your incision.....sort of a medical super glue. It's very effective and allows for just steri strips to be used.

It's normal for you to be stronger in the mornings because you've had a night of rest. You're still fairly early in recovery and you sound like you're doing just fine to me. One of the most difficult aspects of joint replacement surgery recovery is patience. This just takes time.....try and relax and go with what your body is telling you. Rest when you need it. Short walks that gradually increase as you can tolerate them. Use an aid when you are limping. Rest and take something if you have pain. Time will take care of the healing.
 
Thanks, Jamie. I don't always know when I'm limping, but since I still get up with a 'lurch' after sitting a while, I should keep better track of my cane. Yes, Patience is difficult. :gaah: One thing that I am very happy about, and still reflect on is that I took that 'opening' in November. In a fit of "bravery" I asked the surgeon what he thought about doing the surgery in March? I felt like I was jumping off the deep end at the time. He said, 'ok, but I can fit you in in November'. :cheers2:
I had 'decided' by the time I drove out of his parking lot. Just had to check with hubby. Now, I KNOW, March will come and go, and I'll be "done" (I think)!
 
Hi Hippy, just remember when walking the chant, heel to toe, heel to toe it really keeps me from limping except when I am too tired or did too much. You'll be much better in March and i will be just starting the right hips recovery.
 
Hi Hippy, just remember when walking the chant, heel to toe, heel to toe it really keeps me from limping except when I am too tired or did too much. You'll be much better in March and i will be just starting the right hips recovery.
Ok. Usually I just 'chant'.. "suck in the gut, suck in the gut!". I think chanting will help. Just think though, once you're on your way in March.. this will be IT! I can't complain about pain - much. Even the worst of it is not as bad as what it was before surgery.:console2:
 
That would be me, yep. 2 weeks since and I'm still not back to where I was pre-ride.
I hope your lesson in overdoing helps me to not do that. I have "overdone" at times, based on how I felt, but nothing as extreme. So, see, you're "helping"! :mcoffee:
 
I hope your lesson in overdoing helps me to not do that. I have "overdone" at times, based on how I felt, but nothing as extreme. So, see, you're "helping"! :mcoffee:

Hah! you see there, I'm serving my life's purpose - to serve a warning to others!:snork:

I've been doing maybe more than I 'should' lately again, but some days you look at your skinny leg, or start to limp, and get the point where you say 'i just want this to be OVER!' :hairpulling: -that's when I'll up the excercise regime again and really have to watch it, but don't always in my frustration- But luckily that just ends in muscle 'ache' lately
 
I had my 8 week follow up on Tuesday. The only 'remaining restriction' is to not cross my legs. Ok to cross at the ankles.
My surgeon was walking toward me when I was taken to my 'room' and exclaimed "I love the way you're walking"!! He's very happy with progress. He likes the look of the incision too.

Here are the questions I asked:
What was the surgical approach? Posterior Lateral
What is my hip made of? Cobalt Chromium stem, ceramic head, polyethylene lining, titanium outer shell.
When can I take a bubble bath? NOW
How do I get out of the tub? Carefully. (big help)
For Josephine: Does sleeping on the operated side "push the ball" where it belongs in the socket? I don't know about that, but yours is exactly where it should be.
Should I be taking antibiotics before dental work? He said not for cleanings, just for major (???) Hygienist had issues with that, but they gave me the prescription anyway, which I took yesterday before the cleaning

So, today, is a good day. I even shoveled snow yesterday. Made my little dog a path down to the riverbank.
 
[Bonesmart.org] THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed!
Really nice report, Hippy! You'll be back in the full swing of things before too long. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed!
 
Thanks, BottomsHollow! I think if we can keep our attitudes optimistic, it's more than half the battle. Blues happen, and it's good to get those feelings out when they do, but boy, when the sun is shining in my window (it is!) that helps.
:SUNsmile:
 
An update: I’m just beyond 10 weeks since the hip replacement. I’m not dwelling on the surgery and healing much anymore. Sometimes, I have trouble sleeping, so head downstairs with my Kindle. Mostly, though, I’m back in the Master (water) Bed with my loving husband (and cats and dog).
I still get that stiffness, when I’ve been inactive for a while, so the first few steps are “limpy”, but after that, I’m good. I no longer "roll" off the bed, just get out normally. I guess it can be a good year before I feel 100% “normal”.
I’m scared to ditch the pillow between my legs while sleeping, because even though the surgeon didn’t list any precautions, he did tell me not to cross my legs (at the ankle, it’s ok).
Funny, yesterday afternoon, when hubby got home we went outside with the dog. Maltese get the “zoomies” so he was zooming in wide circles around us. Before I realized it, I started running after him. Felt ok, though I did stop once I realized!
:whistle:
 
Hi Hippy thought I'd pop along to your thread rather than hijack Queenies lol. I'm at exactly the stage you are at. I'm still a bit limpy and am managing to go without my stick though sometimes i get tired and need it. I'm going back to work on a phased return, hopefully, at the end of Feb. I don't have the pillow between my legs for sleeping anymore as I toss and turn a bit and i start a wrestling match with it haha! I still get a bit of lower back ache sometimes but all in all i think I'm doing ok. Just can't wait for the day when I can actually forget about it, like you did when you started running around after your dog!
 
Hi Hippy thought I'd pop along to your thread rather than hijack Queenies lol. I'm at exactly the stage you are at. I'm still a bit limpy and am managing to go without my stick though sometimes i get tired and need it. I'm going back to work on a phased return, hopefully, at the end of Feb. I don't have the pillow between my legs for sleeping anymore as I toss and turn a bit and i start a wrestling match with it haha! I still get a bit of lower back ache sometimes but all in all i think I'm doing ok. Just can't wait for the day when I can actually forget about it, like you did when you started running around after your dog!
I'm glad you're going back to work on a phased return. I'm retired, so my 'return' was just keeping up with the house, dog, and cats, so my husband, who still works, could catch a break. The last major surgery I had, I only went on half days for a week the first week. In retrospect, it should have been a month! I don't know the work culture in the UK, but here, in the US, we feel so guilty taking the time we need to heal.
Somewhere on this forum someone mentioned if you don't have a dog, borrow one. He has to go out, no excuses, so it's made me go out even when I was feeling lazy. I think it's helped tremendously in my progress. Much more interesting than repetetive PT! I'll be following your progress!:thankyou:
 
My only concern/worry now is the Cobalt Chromium stem in my thigh. I will ask my primary care physician at my next physical if there is a test to be sure I'm not allergic, or maybe they put anti-allergic stuff around these? I don't have any rashes so I think that's good. :scary:
 
[Bonesmart.org] THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed! The vast majority of joint replacement recipients do not have metal allergies. The usual allergy, when one is present, is to nickel. It is very unlikely that you are allergic to your implant. But you can have it checked out, if it will make you feel better.

Don't worry, take care, and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed!
 
[Bonesmart.org] THR - I had been dying to sleep in my waterbed! The vast majority of joint replacement recipients do not have metal allergies. The usual allergy, when one is present, is to nickel. It is very unlikely that you are allergic to your implant. But you can have it checked out, if it will make you feel better.

Don't worry, take care, and keep us posted. We care
Thanks. My tummy seems different. I used to have to eat all kinds of fiber to stay "regular", now, I'm not needing that. I am allergic to metals against my skin - other than silver and gold. :iagree:
 
Glad to hear you are on the mend! I still get 'achy' days here as well, but it will pass in time, i am sure.

On the pillow- I have actually found it quite comfortable to sleep on my side w/ it between my legs- but I use one of those long 'body pillows' - and have for years off/on even before arthritis! my family is 'cursed' with wide hips, so that might be part of the comfort.
 
Just an update. Today is 11 or is 12 weeks out? We had a huge snowstorm, and I've been out every day digging paths for my spoiled rotten little dog. No pain! (except arms and back). WOW! The only thing that still reminds me I'm not perfect is that "lurch" when I first get up from resting. But the limpy lurch is gone within the first minute!
 
12 weeks today, exactly the same as me!

I've been back in the waterbed for the past 6 weeks now. I'm still keeping the pillow between the knees, a) because it feels comfortable now and b) I tend to flay my legs all over when asleep so probably safer with the pillow there for a week or two more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom