THR THR after failed femoral neck fracture pinning

Thank you all for your recommendations. I have to request ice, which I am doing. Their small ice bags don’t last long.
I get 2 oxycodone every 4 hours and also taking Tylenol.
I had a real scare yesterday afternoon. My temp went up to 100.4! The nurse had just started me on my first Tylenol so was worried that the fever going forward would be hidden by the med.
Luckily I brought my own thermometer and started tracking it. Last night the nurse did a blood draw and Thank God my white blood cells and everything else were perfectly normal. My temp also started going down. Nurse just checked it and it is now 99.1.
No one is worried about infection now especially with the blood results but I continue to check it. I know that after my fracture pinning surgery I had a 99 fever the first week.
Thank you for your advice and support! Waiting for PT to come in and have me walk. They better tie my back strings because I don’t want to show my butt in the hallway!
 
:wave: @Laskyd
Please don't obsess too much over your temperature.
Normal after major surgery.
The furious activity of your body to heal the wounds made by your surgery means a lot of cells are being regenerated and this produces heat. Hence the fever.
Now's the time to try to relax and go with the flow.
All temporary....
Healing hugs :loveshwr:
 
Good morning!

I hope you slept well. Great advice from everyone.

Yes, get those strings tied!

I hope PT goes well.

Safe trip home if they release you today!
 
@Laskyd Welcome to the other side! Please don't worry about any slight increase in temperature. It's very common after major surgery.

Sounds like you are getting around very well already! Well done!
 
I am definitely taking everyone’s advice and getting pampered. Have walked 4 times around the hallway and gone up and down stairs with PT. The biggest pain is getting in and out of bed. Hurts at my incision when I pull the operated leg into the bed. Like a have log leg. Not sure when I get home how I am going to maneuver the bed because often the nurse or PT helps me by lifting my leg onto the bed.
The other thing that bothers me is fever. I had the surgery yesterday morning. Around 5pm my temp spiked to high of 100.5 but then went down with Tylenol. During the day today my temp hovered around 99 to 99.4 but then around 4-5pm today my temp
spiked again to a high of 100.7 so the nurse told me to take Tylenol. It is seven o’clock now and my temp has gone down to 99.3.
Have complained to surgeon and he says everything is fine— not to worry. He only is concerned if temp goes above 101.5 or 102.
Last night I had a blood draw and results were normal.
I hate taking Tylenol because it masks a fever. Just trying to follow doctors orders. Worry a lot about infection but have no other symptoms except this temp spike in late afternoon.
 
Waiting for PT to come in and have me walk. They better tie my back strings because I don’t want to show my butt in the hallway!
Yes, get those strings tied!
Or insist on wearing another gown back-to front, so that you can't show anything you wouldn't want to.

I hate those gowns and I can't see any point in them. I won't wear them once surgery is over. I wear a nightshirt that is like long T-shirt, with short sleeves and fabric that stretches a bit. IV lines can be threaded through the sleeves with no problem.

When my husband was in hospital in Vancouver, Canada, he insisted on wearing his own nightshirt. He used the hospital gown (back-to-front, of course) as a dressing gown.
The staff thought he was a bit strange, but nobody tried to stop him.
 
They gave me a strap for lifting my leg. A belt would work. For what it's worth I also had a temp. Mine hit after getting home and stuck around for a day or so. My wife was fairly freaked out about it (101.x if I recall correctly) and called the surgeons office. They said it was fairly normal and to call back if it didn't go away in a certain period of time or if the incision got hot or had discharge.

The next day all was normal and my wife's freak out factor went down to about a 2.

Glad to see you are recovering.
 
For getting into bed the further you can slide straight back before pivoting the easier it is. If you have log leg it helps but you might need a robe belt or a strap to help lift it. Little late for you but I brought slip on gym type shorts. As soon as I got to the room I slipped my shorts on. Made it very comfortable for getting out of bed. They were slippery too which aided getting in bed.
I thought the pain pills had tylenol in them?
 
I think some of us carry a fever for several days. I know with both of my hips that I did. then I also got to endure chills and chattering teeth, sweats and then fever again. My body must have been working overtime with the healing! It helped me to think of it that way.
I was told that it might be partly due to the narcotics and like you, was told that anything under 101 was probably normal and it was!

Glad you are getting pampered by the hospital staff, you certainly have earned that right.
Aren't you glad to have it over with? :flwrysmile:
 
Yes!!! So glad to have this hip surgery over with!!! My hip feels better already and my pain is now less than that horrible avascular necrosis pain I had before.
@BruceH
@CricketHip thanks for sharing your experience with post op fever. Now that I am taking Tylenol the temp has gone way down. Just took it and temp us 98.7. Hated those
sweats too But they have gone away for now,
@Eman85
@alexthecat @BruceH thank you for great tips on log leg and getting a leg lifter. I have one but don’t take to hospital. I will ask PT today to try it out
@Celle — like you suggested I asked for another gown back to front and that worked well. No flashing of butts in the hallway!

It is really helpful to have experienced Hipsters
like yourselves readily available to answer my questions and put my mind at ease. Bonesmart is So valuable!!! I am making sure all my friends who are planning joint surgery are aware of this excellent resource!!
 
Great news!! I am going home today! Blood work taken early this morning showed no infection. All bloodwork was completely normal.
Georgetown Univ Hospital has taken great care of me and my surgeon Dr Evans, has visited me every day.
A little scared to go home without the support of the hospital staff!
Thank you all for your great advice!!!
My hip already feels a whole lot better than before surgery.
 
:happydance:Dont be too nervous about going home...so much easier to be comfortable and you will do well if you are slow and mindful.
Hopefully you have a bit of help for a few days.
I was also amazed at how that bonecrunching hip pain was gone and the surgery trauma WILL heal!
Healing vibes coming your way.
 
Glad you are going home soon @Laskyd I ran a temperature with my last two surgeries. Bodies response to the trauma of surgery, You will figure out quickly how to get comfortable at home. I did need help the first night home getting in and out of bed. After then I got a system down that worked.

  • Enter bed with good leg first, have blankets rolled to side of good leg prior to getting in so you can pull from your good side rather than bend down to get blankets.

  • Hoist body up near top of bed so you can use arms to lift body and pull operated leg in straight first, then pull together into proper position.

  • I keep a beach towel rolled at the bottom of my bed. Don’t like heavy blankets pushing my feet down while sleeping on back.

  • Sleep is the best medicine right now, so if you get this mastered you will recover comfortably.
Sending wishes for a smooth trip home. :flwrysmile:
 
@Mojo333 Yes!! It is great to not have that bone crunching pain anymore!! I can deal with surgical trauma pain.
@Fit4Family thanks for the great tips on how to get in and out of bed!!! Will take it very slow and use those towels as props.
Also have a leg lifter now which should help too.
 
Hello and Happy Friday to you @Laskyd :wave:
Welcome to Recovery and congrats on your new hip! You seem to be doing really well.

A low grade fever (less than 101.5 F) during the first week after surgery is a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. Sounds like yours may have resolved already.

You're going to love being back home. You'll do fine there. You can rest easy without all of the unwelcome interruptions of the surgery site. You'll quickly fall into a routine and feel more confident with each passing week. I noticed the belt of a robe has already been suggested as an aid in lifting the heavy log log. Make sure to ice and elevate also as that will help with the swelling which contributes to the heavy sensation you're experiencing.

Another tip for the car and bed in early days is to use a plastic trash bag to sit on allowing you ease in swiveling into a forward facing position in the car and a comfy position in your bed. It's a cheap easy remedy that's beneficial until you find yourself doing it with relative ease, which will happen quickly.

Safe travels home! Let us know how the trip went once you're settled in and resting comfortably.

Hugs and happy healing to you!
 
Hi Sarah
That ride home in the medical van was exhausting and nauseating. Being in wheelchair in the back seat was uncomfortable and of course traffic was bad coming from Georgetown back to Herndon.
It is so nice to be home in my own bed!! I have all the assistive devices here to help me get through recovery.
Thank God my temp went down last night to almost normal so not worrying about infection any more.
Very weak! Just want to sleep but need to walk with walkers. Waiting for my son Alex to get here from Norfolk so he can help out. Bob my hubby is pretty inept since his strokes last year and refuses to go to grocery store. Alex. will be able to teach him how to shop in grocery store and also pick up Bobs meds.
Hope your flu is getting a lot better!!!
How about constipation? I was feeling crampy and bloated without a bile movement since before surgery. When I went home I ate 5 dried prunes. Was able to poop several times within a few hours after that. Thank God for prunes!!
Hugs and healing wishes to you!!! I hear the birds singing. It must be a nice day outside
Debbie
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom