THR THR after failed femoral neck fracture pinning

@Layla
Thanks so much! Your recommendation of using a plastic garbage bag under the butt works like a charm getting in and out of bed!! Will try it in the car next.
Also looks like my fever has been resolved. My temp is now normal or close to normal.
So nice to be home!!!! Back to my routine and eating my own food.
PT comes to house Mon morning and I will let you know what happens. I have had aggressive domineering PTs before and refuse to tolerate one this time around. Will have to be prepared to say no if she/he pushes me too hard.
Thank you all for the great advice!! Makes this journey a whole lot easier.
Best wishes
Deb
 
Great news, Deb!
I'm happy the bag trick is working for you. It worked for me in the car. Admittedly I wasn't as brave as you to try the big girl bed initially. Instead I cowered in my recliner for three weeks, nestled in with pillows on each side swaddled like a baby, lol. Possibly I should have taken my own advice? :yes:

It's good to hear the fever is resolving. There is much more relaxation with being in your own nest as you begin healing. I wish you the best with your PT session on Monday and support you in advocating for yourself if you feel your being pushed or something they request you do hurts. I'm sure you'll do okay. If not, keep in mind that it's very early days and you can always put PT off until your 6-8 weeks out and feel you need to work on something in particular. You're in charge...not PT.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day! :SUNsmile:
@Laskyd
 
Hello @Laskyd

Hoping you had a good night and that your son has made it home to help you and your husband. Your ride home sounded hard. I can’t imagine riding in a wheelchair. They aren’t at all comfortable.

Take it easy with PT. Have them show you how to safely do self care at your house. Showering, getting in a car, checking out your chair you plan to use.

Hope your son can make some nice meals for you while he is home. We used delivery service for groceries a couple times last year. Wegmans has one, and so does Amazon Prime now. Hope each day improves over the last. Fingers crossed for some sunshine today. :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning Sarah!!!
Glad to hear from you. It is great having Alex here to help out. I am definitely trying out Amazon Prime or Instacart for grocery delivery today. Have my list and will call it in soon. Alex will be cooking some casseroles before he leaves today.
Right now I am sluggish but not achy with the oxycodone and Tylenol in me. Looking forward to watching reruns of Law&Order SUV and then Super Bowl later on TV.
My best friend was planning to visit with food but I heard her coughing and talking hoarse on the phone. She finally admitted that she had a bad cold so I told her to stay home! Don’t need for me to get sick again.

How is your flu? Hope it is a lot better!
Worried about PT this week. I tend to be a wuss around medical professionals so I have to mentally prepare to stop her if she gets aggressive. A too aggressive PT is what started my downhill turn after the last hip surgery.

Are you getting outside and walking well with a cane? I am back to a walker but feel a lot better without that horrible nonunion, AVN pain. Dr Evans told me that if I waited a couple of months for the surgery my screws would have probably backed up into my pelvis or acetabulum and done more damage. Glad i didn’t!
Falling asleep as I am writing you so will take a little nap. I get these periodic feelings of sleepiness, probably from having insomnia for over 7 months. Need catching up
Looking forward to spring!! Hoping we both will be touring some garden shows!!
Hugs to you!!
Deb
 
Hi @Laskyd
Happy Sunday.
I hope you stay firm in what you think is helpful regarding PT.
If you haven't already, do read this.
A too aggressive PT is what started my downhill turn after the last hip surgery.
I would start with this statement and dont hesitate to redirect your therapist if necessary.
I would say things like, I dont think my hips ready for this yet.
I dropped my aggressive PT early on and expressed my concerns with my OS who was all too happy with my progress and said it was up to me.
After a few months, a different PT helped me with some gait issues and strengthening. Mostly instructions so I could do most on my own at home.
Your hip, your recovery!
 
Worried about PT this week. I tend to be a wuss around medical professionals so I have to mentally prepare to stop her if she gets aggressive. A too aggressive PT is what started my downhill turn after the last hip surgery.

Stand firm. Your body, you're the boss. You're the one who has to deal with any discomfort from being pushed to overdo it, not the PT.
Wishing you comfort and strength to stand your ground if you need to.
I hope you have a peaceful Sunday and a great week to come.
 
Happy Sunday and thank you for the great advice about how to deal with PT. My PT just called me and she is coming over at 130pm tomorrow. Will stand firm in my conviction to not overdo it and will let you know what happens.
Hope you enjoy the Super Bowl!! I watch it mainly for the commercials
 
Hello @Laskyd

Hope your first PT appointment went well. Hope you are progressing nicely. Almost have first week under your belt. It does get easier. Sending warm wishes for a good day. :SUNsmile: Our weather has been amazing! Don’t imagine you’re out of house yet, but an open window sure it a treat for early February.
 
@Fit4Family It is great to hear from you! Hope you are over the nasty flu.
My PT appt yesterday was uneventful except that I had a real scare. I was showing her how I was walking in the house with my walker and my walker leg accidentally got tangled up in a power cord in the kitchen. My PT gasped and I lost my balance for a second but luckily I didn’t fall nor twist my body. Was a little sore after incident and felt paranoid, but my body feels fine. Bob had found a lava lamp and plugged it in on counter top. The cord dangled down to plug on side of counter and somehow my walker got trapped in the cord. Freak accident but a great lesson learned!! Very very careful now with everything.
My two tasks today are trying out exercises in the Georgetown joint book and taking a shower. Both make me nervous but I need to do both. My PT was so busy checking vitals and going over instructions that we did no exercise. She just told me to start doing the exercises in the hospital joint prep book given out in joint replacement class.
I get really sore moving around so I will be very careful. Will run out of oxycodone soon and PT called Evans office to order more for me. What I really want is a prescription for a NSAID like Motrin or Mobic or Naprosyn. Will call my surgeon office and inquire about it.
Attached is my incision photo taken by the PT.
Been looking through seed catalogues. Hoping we can get together this spring and go to Merrifield Garden Center, the best plant nursery in town!!
Hugs!
Debbie
 
Last edited:
Question to all:
Besides aspirin for clotting, were you on any NSAID after surgery for swelling or pain, like Motrin, Naprosyn, Meloxicam, etc?
My surgeon didn’t prescribe one for me but would love to be on a NSAID. However, I have read that NSAIDs can impair bone growth and I need my bone to grow into the implant since procedure was done non cemented. I plan to call my surgeon today about it.
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I am so glad you did not fall! That had to be so scary! Good luck with doing your new activities. A shower makes you feel so much better!

My OS has me on meloxicam for the month.
 
After both my THRs all I took for pain was a NSAID. I had no issues with bone growth.

Having said that, please read about NSAIDs on this page (scroll half way down). NSAIDs can cause stomach issues and long term use is not recommended.
 
I was prescribed a variety of medications besides the 81mg aspirin. The prescription nsaid was celebrex 200mg once daily as required. I took it a few times the first week and haven't touched it since.

The most useful thing I was prescribed besides oxycodone was vistaril. It's an antihistamine that does a whole lot of things. Anti anxiety, slight sedation, and anti nausea were the main ones for me. It made the first week of recovery more tolerable. I only took it for about a week.
 
Question to all:
Besides aspirin for clotting, were you on any NSAID after surgery for swelling or pain, like Motrin, Naprosyn, Meloxicam, etc?
My surgeon didn’t prescribe one for me but would love to be on a NSAID. However, I have read that NSAIDs can impair bone growth and I need my bone to grow into the implant since procedure was done non cemented. I plan to call my surgeon today about it.
Thanks!
I was prescribed 800 mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day in addition to the narcotics @Laskyd .
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom