THR THR 6 Feb 2025 Gladtobediff UK

Thanks all and sorry for the delay....kidney operation last Thursday. All gone really well....walked 3 miles the day after, 9 holes of golf day after that, then 18 holes golf with buggy. Then had a not so good day and only walked a mile. Then did 3 mile walk plus tennis doubles session. So good. Stent is the biggest issue....if you dont know about these wonderous 26cm bits of plastic ....be happy! This will come out a week Tuesday (yipee).

My hips
- my flexibility is still not there but is a smidge better than a few weeks ago.
- re running.....i have been to tennis last 4 weeks and I am defo moving about faster and better. @Coddfish I would love to run again...even 5k once a week, but worried it will make my hip joint wear out more quickly and need to be replaced. What are your thoughts on this? I miss my running sooooo much.

Thanks for all checking in and asking how I was. Son at uni (19) had a major crisis night before my op and that has taken up all our time in last week. Very stressful. Too much partying and living with a not great group.....hoping this is a positive T junction. Part of being a parent xxx

Thanks again everyone. With my kidney op I focused on that and forgot I had a new hip! At 12 weeks sleeping on my side is much better .
 
So thankful to hear you are doing well! Life goes on around us as we are recovering and that can add an extra layer of challenge! My son went from strength to strength after a similar trial, so I'll be praying the same is true for your son :flwrysmile:
 
On the question of running, I think you just have to see how your body feels and build up slowly and carefully. Neither of my surgeons have had an issue with me returning to running although the first advised me to not run excessive distances and to mix up my training load. There’s a site called hiprunner.com on which people have posted their running experiences and it’s fair to say a lot of them are pretty serious runners with extensive mileage post-surgery. I don’t think modern hip implants easily wear out, and even if mine eventually do, I will be happy to have gained the other physical and mental health benefits that came from running. I specifically sought out a cementless hip both times, because my research suggested these would be better suited to higher impact activities. However some of the runners on hiprunner.com are running with a cemented prosthesis. You may be familiar with the story of the now retired British tennis player Andy Murray. He had major hip replacement surgery a few years ago and returned to tennis. I doubt if you can get much higher impact than the twisting and turning involved in playing tennis at a high level.
 
@Coddfish - I tried to join the hiprunner.com but the captcha code doesn't come up so it won't let me register. Have searched everywhere and there is no admin or helpdesk that I can contact to get this sorted. Any suggestions let me know. Much appreciated

Question for those running Bonesmart....due to not having full flexibility in my left hip still I have found is have developed lower left back pain from when I am putting a sock on my left foot. Two things
- when will my flexibility be back to what my right leg is?
- is this common and what are the known ways to get rid of this. ? I am wearing a heat patch most days....and when I bend to put a sock on my left foot my back muscles starts to spasm.
 
No idea - I already have a Wordpress account so it worked smoothly for me. It’s not a very active site anyway but does have actual runners tracking their post hip replacement journeys.
 
I think our flexibility is a challenge for some activities like cutting our toenails & putting on socks.
Not sure when your flexibility will return but it will. Just takes some time.
I find when I overdo an activity it’s my back that lets me know about it. Couple weeks ago I was planting flowers & by the time I was done I needed ice pack & sit for an hour, then I was fine.
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
It is not uncommon to still have limited flexibility at only 3.5 months post op. Recovery timelines do vary from person to person and can take a full year for most and even longer for others to feel they're fully functioning. My OS's PA reminded me early on that the prosthetic will never replace our healthy natural joint. It will get close, but never match it. I have kept that in mind ever since. You've made great progress so far and will continue to do so over the next several months. Thanks for the update...have a great rest of the day!
@Gladtobediff
 
Quick questions.. all good but 2 things

1. I still find at nigjt when lying on my side I can feel strong aching /uncomfortable on my operated side. Is this normal after 4 months.

2. I played 18 holes of golf yesterday and hit every shot and walked....my glutes were a bit achy after. It's the first time I have walked and played all shots on 18 holes. Hip joint didn't hurt at all. Assuming it's the muscles getting used to working again. I have played/walked 9 holes since 6 weeks with no issues

Thanks
Mandy
 
I think you are doing remarkably well considering your replacement was in February.
My guess is it’s some muscle discomfort.
I’d equate anything physically related we try after not doing it for a while will bring on some type of aches & pains.
I can’t believe you can play golf so soon. You are doing fabulous!
 
when lying on my side I can feel strong aching /uncomfortable on my operated side
I had the same experience. I couldn't lie comfortably on my operated side for many months -- although the non-operated side was okay.

It really does take a long time for everything to get back to "normal". Remember that at 4 months, you are still only one-third of the way through this year-long recovery.

That said, you are doing really well if you were able to play a full 18 holes of golf with just a bit of muscle ache afterwards.

Try to be patient a bit longer about the side sleeping. You will get there -- it just takes time.
 
Hi Gladtobediff,
I believe side sleeping will grow more comfortable...given time. The muscles and tendons and incision can take multiple months to settle. There can also be lingering nerve sensitivity and inflammation. While on your side you're compressing these tissues. Give it more time then try again for short periods of time as it becomes more comfortable for you. Best Wishes!
@Gladtobediff
 
Back
Top Bottom