Guest viewing is limited

THR THR 6 Feb 2025 Gladtobediff UK

I’ve had 2 posterior ops & the 6 week 90degree rule. Because of this I’ve avoided elevating as it was (is) difficult to get safely elevated without breaking the rule. Only 5 more days for me, then my leg will be toes above nose as much as possible to combat fluid retention.
I agree about sore heels, - thought it was just me. I’ve been improvising with fluffy rolled up socks.
 
I was concerned about this too and had to look into it @Mabel
The secret seems to be that you need to be lounging back before you elevate. Definitely not sat in an upright position. There's an image at the top of this page adverting the Lounge Doctor. The lady is laying on her back with a small pillow under her head. She's using a Lounge Doctor to elevate her legs. Her toes are higher than her head but she isn't breaking the 90 degrees, far from it, it's about 45 degrees. If her legs were at 90 degrees when laying on her back, the soles of her feet would have to be parallel to the ceiling, creating an 'L' shape. Even then, she'd not be breaking 90 degrees, but exactly at 90 degrees (L shape). I was wondering, do you mean you found it hard to lift the legs into position to get on pillows without breaking the rules?
 
was wondering, do you mean you found it hard to lift the legs into position to get on pillows without breaking the rules?
Hi Den, yes that’s it, piling up the cushions without leaning too far forward . I did ask my husband a couple of times, but then it was “higher higher” “lower lower” & after all his help with socks & shoes , I decided to give him a break’.
 
was wondering, do you mean you found it hard to lift the legs into position to get on pillows without breaking the rules?
Hi Den, yes that’s it, piling up the cushions without leaning too far forward . I did ask my husband a couple of times, but then it was “higher higher” “lower lower” & after all his help with socks & shoes , I decided to give him a break’.
Bless your heart @Mabel :flwrysmile: I totally, get it! That's why I asked. My goodness, six weeks sounds like forever but thankfully week 7 arrives eventually.
 
Hi @Gladtobediff, good to hear your story and amazing to hear of your progress! Wow.... you are doing far more than I am at 6 weeks.

Re the SheWee, I have used them in the past as I worked in Antarctica for several summers and believe me, when out on the plateau with a field party on the ice there is no privacy and anyway, it is far too cold to drop your trousers and bare your all! So the She Wee was issued to all the women. Funnily enough, I found mine last week for the first time in 10 years! I did eventually learn to use it (very challenging in a wind!) but did end up initially with wet pants several times as its very easy to spill it:giggle: You won't be peeing in the wind though nor will you be trying to fit it inside a bulky snow suit, so you will probably manage just fine. Seems like a really great idea and a use I had never thought of! Good on you for thinking of it!:dancy:
 
@Cillacat Thank you. I used it at our local pub on Sunday. Thank goodness i had it....no loo paper and disabled toilet was in use! No spillage and can really recommend it !

We walked there and back and I called in advance to make sure extra seat cushions had been set aside for me. Was so lovely to get out.

Went to a friends on Saturday and Shee Wee really helped me being able to go there to. For us ladies think there should be more promotion for people to try this as an option post surgery. I was going stir crazy
 
Update on Recovery 3 wks + 3 days post Posterior Hip replacement

Positives

- Wound healing well
- Ache every time I walked from wound went completely two days before 3 weeks Post Op
- I had only intermittently been using a single walking stick inside from when i came home. But with the ache above going been able to walk around inside with no stick since 2 wks +5 days post op
- Walking upstairs normally on large old steps wk 3 +3 days
- First time today walked my 4 short walks without any aids (only ever used 1 crutch)
- Steadily increased distance of walks (been the focus of my recovery as per Bonesmart guidance !) each week. Now doing 4 x 0.55 miles per day. BUT...I have no pain or aching, could work a lot further but being careful. I increase for a few days, stay at same distance for a few days, then increase again.
- Continuing with very light weight 30 min upper body weight training 2 to 3 times per week (from wk 1)
- worked 29 hours in first 2 wks post op (not by choice) and then returned to 4 days very reduced hours with lots of breaks for walking /not sitting

Negatives
- Sleep ! I was getting sleep on my back but as I have recovered it has got less. I take 2 x 100 mg Magnesium Glycinate 30 mins before bed, switch off all devices, have the same routine, don't nap during day and while I sleep in a couple of 2 hours sets I then wake up (this morning 5 am). Not enough sleep for me. Cumulatively i now feel exhausted.
I could feel my body yesterday trying to turn on my operated side, but have been told to sleep on my back til 6 week meeting with surgeon! I look like i have 2 black eyes . My surgeon said no to using recliners for sleep!

So i have written to my surgeon to ask for any suggestions. All suggestions welcome
-
 
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after surgery. It's generally not the meds, it's... everything about the trauma, discomfort, energy drain!

Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!) - many of us sleep and/or nap in a recliner, or surround ouselves with soft pillows.

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me: a mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin, immediately going into a dimly lit room and relaxing. When I got sleepy, turning off the light and lying down with my legs up on the Lounge Doctor. After a few hours I would wake, move the Lounge Doctor away, and sleep more.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
You’re doing really well for just 3 weeks out from surgery. I like that you’re taking things slow in terms of your exercise. The benefits of that, as you’ve found, is a lower level of pain and swelling. Stay on track with that!

Sleep is pretty much a universal problem. It’s one reason we caution people about trying to go back to work or normal activity too soon. It just takes a while for your body to recover from the trauma and drugs involved with major surgery. Most people need daily naps for a while. Mendogal gave you some things to try, but most likely you’ll just need to wait it out and rest when you can. I’m surprised that your surgeon indicated no sleeping in a recliner. I wonder why…..it’s often recommended by surgeons, although it doesn’t give you the best elevation for your legs without the use of pillows.

There is a reason why surgeons want to see you at 6 weeks. I’ve been told by a number of surgeons that their patients have too many issues going on in those first weeks of recovery and they want to see them when things are much more settled - with fewer complaints. I think there may be some truth to that. I believe you’ll be in a completely different place at 6 weeks than you are now.
 
@mendogal Thanks so much for all of that info ! I am already taking Magnesium Glycinate....but will look at your other suggestions. The "mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin" sound like something I will follow up on!

Re pain.....i wasn't in any pain in hospital and took coedine day 2 til day 6 post op only. I took paracetamol and ibuprofen til take 8 post op...and that's when I stopped all pain meds. In the UK we are strongly encouraged to stop pain meds asap. Its sort of drilled into you. I haven't really had any pain just muscle aching around the incision, which has stopped.

Thanks again for taking the time for all your info.

@Jamie Thanks for your post. It's tough working when I am this tired. So hoping surgeon gives me a green light to sleep how i want from 6 weeks . I think a proper high recliner chair is fine but a low recliner sofa like I have is a definite no no!

Thanks to all the Bonesmart family for all your support! Off for my final walk of the day. Now I just need to try and stay awake til bedtime
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your sleep improves soon. :yawn: :sleep:
Take good care and thanks for sharing your recovery journey with all!
@Gladtobediff
 
I have my 6 week post posterior hip replacement check up next Thursday. I am in the UK and have just checked and my surgeon says they don't do an x ray to check things. They only do an x ray if there are any issues...feels wrong to me....thoughts?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Every orthopedic surgeon has his/her own approach, @Gladtobediff, and not everyone believes that x-rays are necessary.

I'm sure the surgical team will observe how you are moving and check your range of motion to see if imaging is necessary. From your previous posts, it sound like you are doing well, but be sure to speak up if you have concerns about your recovery!

Let us know how it goes.
 
Hello Gladtobediff :wave:
Try not to be bothered by this, frankly...I'd be happy. While a single x-ray isn't dangerous there's no reason to expose yourself to radiation unless it's medically necessary. This is not unusual, especially without serious concerns. If your recovery is progressing normally, skipping x-rays means your surgeon isn't seeing any red flags and I would put confidence in that and trust his judgement unless you have good reason not to. He may decide to do x-rays at three months post op, then again...maybe not. Skipping an unnecessary x-ray is a usually good thing, not a bad thing.

Best Wishes for the visit. I hope you receive a nod from the surgeon that you're doing well. Let us know. :)
@Gladtobediff
 
@Layla thank you ! . My understanding is they just ask 'Are you ok' ....and if you don't report any issues they do a quick range on movement check, get you to walk and send you on your way - less Ryan 5 mins. Doesn't feel reassuring enough to me. But let's see!

I have over 20 questions for him which I will put in a table to make it easier to answer .....let's see if I get answers to those. They are mainly around what can I do when.

Let's see next week ! Can't believe nearly at 6 weeks PO. 5 weeks this Thursday night
- Wound nearly healed (about 0.5 inch left).
- Walking 3 miles a day over 3 or 4 walks (note I could easily walk further but really am stopping myself). Increasing very gradually and then staying at same distance for a few days. (I was fit before op).
- Can walk for 30 mins (slowly)
- averaging over 10k steps a day
- continuing to be in no pain
- can do shorter walks a bit faster
- sleeping better with consistent bed time routine of 2x Magnesium Glycinate and Hemp cream massaged on feet by hubby

Still 3 lbs above pre op weight (had put 12 lbs on of water weight).

Here's to 6 week check in with surgeon 20 March still not quite sure which restrictions he will lift and which ones he won't due to it being posterior.

Happy Tuesday....off for my morning stroll with pooch on the golf course across the road and then a review of a document with my boss (fingers crossed that goes well!).
 
I have over 20 questions for him which I will put in a table to make it easier to answer .....let's see if I get answers to those. They are mainly around what can I do when.
This is important information. If he doesn't ask whether you have questions and starts to leave, say something like, "before you go, I have some questions I need answered."

Surgeons can get caught up when they are busy and seem abrupt and intimidating, but you have the right to get those questions answered!

From your description, I'd say you are doing quite well. Being able to walk the dog at 5 weeks post-op is a milestone!
 
I saw physio yesterday who said to try sleeping on non operated side for part of the night now I am 5 weeks post op, with a folded pillow or 2 pillows between my legs. I did that and it was comfortable re operated hip. BUT my lower back on non operated side started to hurt. Stopped tried again. Same thing. Why is this...how can I stop it as it felt soooo nice being on my side.

I went back to sort of sleeping, lying on my back and after some broken sleep I am awake 0642 and my middle lower back on my non operated is aching. Why is this? And how do I get rid of it ?

All suggestions welcome! A new one for me today!
 
I can’t say exactly why your back might hurt, but here is something to try. Be sure you have pillows between your legs. That keeps the hips straight and aligned. But also put one or two pillows behind your back and kind of lean into them instead of being more on your side. This may take some pressure off your lower back. Also, be sure you take a dose of your pain medication or Extra Strength Tylenol (2 500mg tablets) before going to sleep. It takes about 30 minutes before any medication would take effect, so you might not drift off to sleep right away.
 
It took me quite awhile to roll onto either side so for you to be able to do it at 5 weeks post op even for a small amount of time is fantastic!
Not sure why your back hurts but I'd guess it's way our bodies are aligned. Little ice or heating pad might help along with Extra Strength Tylenol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom