THR THR 6 Feb 2025 Gladtobediff UK

Much easier than I thought it would be once I worked out how!
This is so true! It's so interesting how many things we do during the day -- normally on auto=pilot -- that we must rethink during the early months of recovery. You are on a problem-solving streak!
 
Checking in to see how you are feeling this week, @Gladtobediff. Please share an update when you have a chance.

:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks so much. So 7.5 weeks post op.

Positives
- I managed to put a sock on operated leg for 1st time in last week
- 10 days ago I was able to tie my shoe laces myself
- managed my longest walk of 5.3 miles was done with hubby and pooch on Sunday
- managed an easier version of my pre op lower leg strength workout this week
- played a slow easy 9 holes of golf
- Commuted into london for work yesterday for first time since op....everyone so pleased to see me and all went well with the journey (it can get brutal in rush hour on tubes and trains in London so wanted to try it out). Note i have been working at home since 6 days post op.

Negatives
- I bent over to pick something up quite heavy for the first time and it has triggered a pre op weakness in my non operated side lower back(facet joint issues). Sooooo frustrating. Saw a chiropractor. Says it is nothing to do with my hip, and i need to remember to bend my legs to pick things ALWAYS

- I have my kidney operation on 2 May. Hospital again and so soon. Not looking forward to it. Been told will need 2 weeks off work ! I took less than that off for my hip operation.

- the chiropractor commented than when I stand up my left leg is slightly bent with the knee pointing inwards. He said that I need to correct this so balance of weight is even between both legs and hips....but I am not sure how to do this. I think that this has happened as a natural result of my right leg being stronger post surgery. I can stand on one leg on my operated side for a minute so the strength is there. And when I walk I am putting the weight on each side in turn. Not sure what to do about this

So had been feeling really great but the 3 negatives have knocked me a bit !
 
Last edited:
You are doing remarkably well for less than 2 months post-op, @Gladtobediff. A 5-mile walk is impressive.

need to correct this so balance of weight is even between both legs and hips
I had an issue with the foot on my surgical side slaying outwards after my hip replacement. My therapist had me focus on heel-toe walking. You've probably seen us recommend this before.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's very important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step. Quality of the gait is more important than quantity of steps. It can feel awkward at first, but with practice, will become more natural. It took several weeks of concentrated effort for it to feel natural, and over time, the positioning of my foot normalized.
 
Thanks so much. Yes i saw the heel toe advice and the Private physio kept saying that to me. We have done videos today and reviewed them of me walking and I am relieved that I am doing heel to on all my steps.....so very pleased about that. It is only when I stand still that my left leg lifts up a bit and the knee tilts in. Sooooo pleased it isn't anything more.

My kidney stones and facet joint are causing my back pain - 29 days til kidney operation (surgeons here go away for a few weeks over school Easter holidays so it's the earliest it can be done on 2 May).

Focusing on doing 2x shorter walks per day of 1.65 miles while my facet joint heals. See Chiropractor again on Monday.

Thanks again to everyone for your support
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Congrats on the great progress! Putting on socks, tying laces, longer walks and...golf!
I am sorry your kidney stones are causing you pain and wish you comfort as you await the surgery in 3.5 weeks. I hope time flies and you're not in constant pain. :console2:
Best Wises for your chiropractor visit tomorrow! Stay in touch and thanks for the update.
@Gladtobediff
 
Thanks . So the good and some questions

Good
- played golf at 7.5 weeks, then 6 holes the following Sunday and 9 holes at 9 weeks and 18 holes on Sunday in a Mixed pairs competition which I won for us on the last 2 holes.....but I did use a buggy.
- i played ladies double tennis last Wed, which i really enjoyed but I was very tentative going after certain shots. I was very careful.
- still walking at least 18-25 miles a week (simce week 4) and doing over 10k steps per day.

Questions/areas to fix
1. My fitness is noticeably down despite all walks regularly and upper and lower body weight training. I felt tired when I walked 9.holes ...and it never used to.(which was why I used the buggy for 18). Why is that ?

2. Still uncomfortable sleeping on operated side

3. Range of motion....it has gradually increased but I still can't
- pull my operated knee to my chest when lying
- I cant bend my operated leg at the knee and put my heel on my non operated leg
- putting socks on is still not easy
- I cant file my toe nails
When will I be able to do these things ?
What strectches should I be doing?
How do I build strength now in my hips/glutes as I can walk over 5 miles no problem so think I need to do something else


Thanks
Mandy
 
Wow... you sound like an athlete to me. Congratulations on your amazing recovery, so far. I had to double check twice to make sure I wasn't reading about a two year anniversary!:loveshwr:
 
Sounds like a remarkable recovery so far! It took me awhile to sleep on operated side, it will come with time.
And your energy level won't be back to normal right away even though some of the activities you are doing as of now are impressive.
 
Hello Mandy,
It is not surprising your fitness is down as you only just passed two months post op in a year long recovery from the trauma of major surgery. Walking nine holes involves more than just walking, you are bending / twisting and engaging muscles as you play the game, all of which takes energy. Your body is adjusting to the prosthetic and your muscles, tendons and soft tissues are still healing. Feeling easily fatigued at this point is normal.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time.

Side sleeping - again your muscles tendons and your incision are still healing and for some it makes lying on your side uncomfortable. I found the same to be true in my recovery. If you haven't already, try using a pillow between your knees so your hips are aligned. You can do this gradually, trying for a short while and increasing time along with your comfort level. Try leaning somewhat against a firmer pillow so you're not bearing your full weight on your op side. Here is an article from the BoneSmart library on side sleeping -

The ROM questions -
The movements you're struggling with are common to many at this point of recovery. Stretching knee to chest, trying to place your heel on the opposite knee, filing toe nails and putting on socks is movement that is restricted early on as your body is still healing and you don't need to push yourself and risk dislocation, which is extremely painful necessitating a trip to the hospital. Each of us recover at our own pace so it's unpredictable when you'll be able to do thee things comfortably. If you're working with a PT, they can safely guide you through stretches and exercises that align with the progress you've made to this point. Your ROM will improve naturally over time. You'll keep progressing little by little, stay consistent, but don't force it and you will get there. Keep in mind it is still early days in the entire scheme of things.
Best wishes as you continue healing. Have a wonderful week!
@Gladtobediff
 
Thanks so much. I tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs but I find it too awkward. It just feels "hard" from a texture perspective and my hip around the incision aches when in bed but not when I get up.

Questions
1. ....I had no groin aches before surgery and for the first time and few days ago I started getting a mild groin ache on my operated side ? What is causing this? Is this normal ? What can I do about it

2. The physio is the hospital was useless so I stopped using them. I am keen to build up the strength and just want some exercises I can do to build up my medius, maximus and hip flexors/abductors. What should I be doing?

Thanks
Mandy
 
I'm pretty sure the groin pain could be some of the soft tissue being "tested" with all your current activities.
You cannot "exercise" your hip to "heal."
You are only a little over 2 months post op so maybe take a day of rest & ice in between your activity days??? Not saying rest all day just dial back a bit.
You are doing great!
I only walked for exercise after my hip replacement & I was fine.
 
Hi there,
The groin pain is likely soft tissue healing, possibly irritated by an increase in walking or activity. The muscles and tendons around the hip are still recovering. As long as it's not sharp, persistent and increasing in frequency and intensity, try icing the area and dialing back an activity that irritates it and it will probably dissipate.

Good to read that you stopped the Physio.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.


Happy Thursday!
@Gladtobediff
 
I hear you! I'm a lot earlier on than you but despite chronically severe hips and housebound. I didn't experience pain in my hip prior to surgery. Pretty much everywhere else on and off but not my actual hip. It's a little ironic to be experiencing a nagging ache in my hip for the first time during recovery from THR surgery. As others have said. The soft tissue trauma is very significant and it will take months and months to heal. Think of it this way. Certain muscle and tendon injuries you may pick up doing a sport, require a set period of time to rest and then a very careful rehabilitation. Failure to follow protocol often causes a relapse and recovery then takes even longer. Think of your upper leg as recovering from multiple sports injuries. When one particular thing is under performing when pushed. The body is designed to have back ups. Other non dedicated muscles that can help out. It keeps us moving but is not great because that secondary muscle becomes strained because it's doing too much. The groin pain is very likely a reaction to something else being pushed and underperforming because it isn't fully recovered.

Don't underestimate the power of walking alone to strengthen. It's a full body exercise and will simultaneously hit every muscle and ligament. The key is walk well
 
Thanks all. Much appreciated. Walking has defo been my key activity since my operation. Actually due to increased work demands I have done less Walking the last 2 weeks. Groin ache gone today so think the muscle/tendon healing is what's going on as you say.
Now I am 10 weeks I keen to maintain my routine of 1xlight lower body, 1x light upper body, 1x doubles tennis, 1x9 holes golf and steps of 35 miles per week (average over last 4 weeks).
I have my kidney operation in 2 weeks.

Bank holiday here in uk today and Monday so very keen to make the most of it. Happy Friday everyone xxxx
 
Checking in to see how you are doing, @Gladtobediff. If I calculated correctly, your kidney operation was last week. Hope your recovery is going well.
 
Wishing you a smooth, steady recovery after your kidney surgery. One day at a time...you've got this.
Hope to hear some good news from you soon! :)
@Gladtobediff
 
Just spotted this thread. I had my first hip replaced in 2021 and similarly found it very easy to recover, having been pretty active before the arthritis really hit. By the 3 month mark I was living normally and definitely able to sleep either side, put socks on etc. I restarted light running at about 4 months and by 6 months was happily striding around hilly routes. Just hoping hip number 2 (surgery in 10 days time) goes as well. You mentioned you had an uncemented hip, as did I. The real benefit of this is the bond gets stronger and stronger over time, so it’s ideal if you want to return to higher impact activities like running. My running was impacted by also getting cancer and having a long and messy path through that, but the hip has never been a problem.

The she-wee is a great idea, I will order one now!
 
Back
Top Bottom