Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

@maryo52 you have given a lot of support, so I am glad to hear that it was there for you when you needed it.
 
Good day everyone. Well today, once again, I am dealing with issues in my TKA leg. I developed intermittent pain in my shin over several weeks, then constant pain that seems to be in the muscle just lateral to the tibia. Now I hobble. Xray shows no fracture and there are changes around the end of the long stem which are to be expected. The radiology report did not comment on loosening one way or another.

I also feel a clunk, as if something's catching. Very confused at the moment.

Still on antibiotics but at a lower dose.
 
So sorry to read this @maryo52
I hope any issue is diagnosed soon and treated as necessary, bringing you relief. :console2:
 
Hi Mary,
I was reading your whole history here. I'm so sorry for all the troubles you are having. My heart goes out to ya and I just wanted to send you some good vibes. It's gotta be so tough. You've been through so so much. May they figure it out and help you find lasting healing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong!
 
Maryo52,
So sorry to hear of your new issues in your TKR knee. I hope you are able to find answers to your symptoms sooner rather than later.
Sending positive thoughts your way,
Chris
 
Every time I make any progress, some new problem arises. Right now I am struggling with intractable back pain which gets set off when I lay down. Thus in the past week I've only had one good chunk of sleep. I wonder if I am experiencing complex regional pain syndrome or similar. Really puts me in bad shape mentally and emotionally. Trying to stay positive but all this year I've had one medical challenge after another.
Hoping you are doing well now!❤️
 
Thanks @Flowerfloosey69

Late infection (> 2 years after surgery) is a real trip. I took it easy activity wise for a few months, then started working with a personal trainer. My right quad had been atrophied for years but it's nearly as strong as the other and what a difference that has made. I stopped antibiotics on my one year anniversary of surgery. The procedure I had, called DAIR (debridement, antibiotics and implant retention) has a variable success rate. I don't worry about recurrence but know it could. One thing I'll say, finding the best of the best orthopedic surgeons makes everything better. I hope your new hip turns out to be a success.
 
finding the best of the best orthopedic surgeons makes everything better.

Hi @maryo52 , who is this OS you think so highly of, and where are they located? I'm in Massachusetts and it is always good to know of other surgeons that people are happy with.

Thanks.
 
Andrew Freiberg. He's at Newton-Wellesley now. He was previously head of orthopedics at Mass General.
 
Just checking in to say I've had no recurrence of infection. I had a year of antibiotics which I tolerated well -- six weeks of IV antibiotics followed by 10.5 months of oral cefadroxil. TKA infection really shook me up. I felt vulnerable in a way I'd never experienced, and it's changed me. I no longer take health for granted, and certainly came to know the love and support of friends and family.

The lesson for me is to not accept medical guidance as if it were biblical scripture. My infection was probably caused by the wound on that leg from melanoma removal. Looking back I should've been on a prevention course of antibiotics until the wound healed over. So be an advocate for yourself and for your knee!!

The melanoma surgery included removing 8 lymph nodes in my groin and abdomen which only increases the chance of infection in my TKA so I am vigilant about sources of infection, yet I don't let that weigh me down. I am living life to the fullest and back to my tom girl ways!
 
Yay, no more infection! You are so right that we have to be our own advocates. Who knows our bodies any better than we do?
 
Just checking in to say that my DAIR procedure July 2021 to eradicate infection seems to have worked as it's been more than two years. (DAIR stands for debridement, antibiotics and implant retention.) The reason it was that procedure rather than some other is that it was already a revision knee and the components have long stems, "hard to chip out" as they said.
 
Thanks for taking the time to share the good news and explanation of the DAIR procedure, Mary. It may be an encouragement to those that have experienced infection themselves. Best wishes going forward!
@maryo52
 
Wonder if anyone has developed some scar tissue around the patellar tendon a while (years) after surgery. My knee seems to crunch when I get up, or pop -- as if something went out of position when I sat, @skigirl I remember you had something similar. I'm pretty sure the surgeon would not want to go inside my knee unless I lost function considering my history of knee infection.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom