Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Hi jboles,
The best answer I can share is that the sensation is likely nerve irritation as a result of your surgery, involving the peroneal nerve, which runs from the knee to the foot. Hopefully it will ease over time. Possibly others that have experienced the same will stop by to respond. I hope you have a nice Friday and weekend.
@jboles
 
I have noticed that when the swelling goes down the weird sensation in my foot is better. I was up on my feet for couple of hours this morning and I noticed when I sat down with an ice pack and elevated my leg that weird sensation is back in my foot. It just might be a nerve issue that some swelling causes. I’m hoping for a relaxing knee weekend and I hope everyone else has a relaxing weekend as well.
 
Today is my one month knee anniversary. I feel like I’m making good progress. I won’t say great because I’m still not walking without a walking aid. Either a walker or cane. Therapy has been totally different than anything prior. They aren’t focusing on range of motion but instead they are focusing on building up muscle strength. My extension is 0 and ROM was 110 at first PT appointment so they were pleased with that. They are trying to strengthen muscles in calf and thigh that are weak from years of my leg being crooked. I haven’t had too much pain from PT. I told them going in that my goal is to walk unaided and that my gait is horrible, so that’s what they are focusing on. I hope that I see a huge improvement over the next month.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Thankfully you are pleased with your progress and a found a match in a therapist that is in agreement with goals you're interested in meeting. Wondering if they're suggesting heel-toe walking for your gait?
Best wishes in hitting the milestones you're hoping for over the next month. Thanks for the update, jboles.
Enjoy the weekend and stay in touch! :SUNsmile:
@jboles
 
I am so glad you found a therapist that will listen to you. That is so important, not only for our physical recovery but also for our mental health.
 
I’m still not walking without a walking aid.
That's really okay! Don't let anyone tell you that you need to give it up until you really feel secure.

Many of us use walking aids at the month mark and beyond. I used a cane for about 6 weeks, because my gait was terrible without it.

You'll get there with time! :flwrysmile:
 
Be careful with strengthening exercises at this early point in your recovery. You still have a lot of surgically damaged tissue that needs to heal.
 
I feel like I have a tight band around the arch of my foot??
My issue could be different but several weeks after surgery I started having trouble putting my foot down flat on the floor after sleeping or sitting too long (but mostly after sleeping overnight). I still have some issues and sometimes wake up at night and my foot hurts to move and I need to do those heel pumps to loosen it up a bit. Once it gets loosened up, I don't have problems walking and it stays loose during the day. I'm quite a bit farther along than you are post-surgery - but something clearly affected my foot!

I also used the walker for 6 weeks at least and still use a cane (because my other knee is bad and is being replaced next month). I don't there is a prize for walking without a walking aide but I'm hoping to find out! haha! :)
 
There is no timeline on when to stop using a cane or walker. I would venture to say that most orthopedic surgeons would rather you use an aid rather than risk a fall. I keep a cane in the car, it's my security cane! My personal fear is a large crowd and being pushed - so I carry my security cane and feel more confident.
 
I carried on using a foldable stick for about 6 months for various reasons.
1. I had had a few falls pre- surgery and I didn't want to risk one on my new knee. Plus it was Autumn then Winter, with first wet slippery leaves and then ice.
2. I live in a really busy London suburb and I was starting back travelling on the bus and train. A stick gave a sign to give me space and also support when getting on/ off public transport.
3. I like visiting galleries but I found one of the toughest things was standing for any length of time. A stick was good to lean on.
I would still take it if I was doing travel involving hiking on rough ground.
 
I also used a cane for many months. It took me a while to regain good balance. I do admit I stopped using it when a friend asked me, when are you going to get rid of that? After that I did bring it out if I knew I was going to walk on uneven ground.
 
I tried walking with my cane on Thursday and it seemed to be fine at the time but…yesterday and today my knee is really sore and to top it off I twisted my back in the shower yesterday, so it was back to the walker for me. This made me so depressed and then my hubby told me to stop my pity party. I’m ashamed to say that brought me tears. I’m just tired…
 
That all is really tough- sorry you are feeling so rough. It really can feel one step forward and two backwards at times..... But it will get better.
 
Aww, big hugs, jboles. Sometimes a little "Pity Party, for one, please" is good for all that ails us.
You can lovingly remind hubs he wasn't invited. :wink:
Engage in some liberal icing :ice::boohoo: along with those tears, anywhere it hurts.
Lifting a:prayer:prayer you feel better soon. :console2:
@jboles
 
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I sure wish my family was as understanding. I know they don’t mean to say hurtful things and I know that I’m overly sensitive but it’s been a very long month. I pray for improvements in this next month. I feel like I’m at a standstill in my recovery. I really still need the walker because I’m not steady with the cane. The knee is too painful to put all my weight on it like I need to if I walk with the cane. So then I limp:boohoo:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom