Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

but it’s been a very long month.
I think it’s been a very long 6 years, since your original TKR. :console2:

It’s been a long 7 years for me, with my PKR, and I haven’t had to deal with the revisions that you have. :console2:
 
@Jockette I’m so sorry that your knee isn’t doing any better, are you looking at having a TKR? You’re correct it has been a long 6 years since my original RTKR was done. I’m so afraid it’s going to be like the previous 2 surgeries, I seem to progress the first 4 weeks or so then I just stop. I’m at that point in recovery. Only time will tell, which is hard for a control freak :nah:so I guess I’ll just extend my stay in Pity City for a while, not too long though. I gets lonely here
 
are you looking at having a TKR?
No, none of my 3 second opinions, over the years, have found anything to fix, so they haven’t offered me a TKR. Because of this, my trust level is very low. Even though I’m much more limited now than before my PKR, I am “managing well enough” and accept it for what it is.
 
I had my six weeks checkup with the orthopedic surgeon on the 28th. He pulled, pushed and pressed all over my knee and leg, ouch… afterwards he was extremely pleased with my progress. Extension 0 and ROM is 130. He said that was almost unheard of with a second revision. He was furious at my PT for still having me use a walker. I told him what they said about me limping with a cane and causing more problems. He said that was a “cop out and they weren’t doing their jobs “. He has written orders for a different place. We are at the coast for the weekend but I haven’t attempted a walk in the soft sand, the 4 hour drive, low toilet and low furniture has about done me in:gaah:
 
He was furious at my PT for still having me use a walker. I told him what they said about me limping with a cane and causing more problems. He said that was a “cop out and they weren’t doing their jobs “. He has written orders for a different place.
I’m glad your numbers are so good but I don’t agree with your surgeon about the walker. It sounds like you already have a PT who has your best interest at heart. It is your decision whether you stay with this group or go to another one, who might not have your best interest at heart. 6 weeks is still early in the game, in this year long recovery. Use the walking aid of your choice to stay safe.

We are at the coast for the weekend but I haven’t attempted a walk in the soft sand, the 4 hour drive, low toilet and low furniture has about done me in:gaah:
You are wise to stay off the sand this early in recovery!

I went away at 4 months post op and dealt with the things you mentioned and it took me a whole month to recover, and I didn’t walk on any sand, either. As a result of that weekend I invested in a portable raised toilet seat and discreetly took it to people’s houses if I knew they had a low toilet. Being a quilter, I made a denim carry bag for it and no one was any wiser what was in my bag!

You are doing very well. Make the choices that are best for you.

And, enjoy the coast!!
 
We are at the coast for the weekend but I haven’t attempted a walk in the soft sand, the 4 hour drive, low toilet and low furniture has about done me in
A word of caution. Your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

If you're already feeling fatigued from the long drive, getting up and down from lower heights than you're comfortable with, attempting the beach walk may land you in the ODIC and I know you don't want that.

Enjoy the rest of your time at the coast and safe travels home!
 
I agree with @Jockette - if your structure is markedly better with the walker, it doesn't matter how many weeks post op you are. Use the walker.
 
I was still using my walker out in public for a couple of months. People around you will take notice and be more careful around you. Children are a special concern because they run around without watching out for others. A new knee surgery person can easily be knocked down. Even adults can bump into you, and you can lose your balance and end up on the floor. You don't want that, so use that walker as long as you want! You are the only one who knows if you want to use it or not. Using it is not a negative, it's just an assistance device. That's all. Your safety comes first!
 
Just wanted to do a quick 2 month update. I have an appointment with a different PT department this Thursday morning. I’m dreading and looking forward to it. I want to hear what they have to say. I don’t know what I’ll do with their suggestions, I guess I’ll just wait and see how it goes. Before I had this revision I had another allergy test with Orthopedic Analysis and my results were a little different than the first test I had done 7 years ago. I was mildly reactive to titanium 7 years ago and I wasn’t reactive on this test. I have some titanium in this replacement and I’m beginning to think that I might be having a reaction to it. I have an area of eczema on the inside of my knee and my knee is always very warm and painful to walk on. I’m really hoping this is just part of the healing process with a revision surgery. The surgeon said at my six week appointment that my knee had suffered a lot of trauma! I’m like, you think!!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your appointment with a new PT group on Thursday proves to be insightful and you find a good match in a therapist...one you feel you can trust. It's pretty early into the healing process, as you know, I am sure given more time some of these issues will resolve and your recovery will become easier and less painful.
Best Wishes for Thursday! Let us know how it goes.
@jboles
 
Did you have the blood test or the skin test? We suggest doing the more reliable blood test for allergies.

For anyone who would like to get a full metal allergy test prior to any joint replacement surgery, you can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel. You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing. You will have to have a doctor's order for the lab to run it.
 
@sistersinhim I did the both the skin test locally and blood test with Orthopedic Analysis in 2017 before my first TKR. With this being a second revision the physician said that he would have to use an implant from Smith and Nephew that had a titanium stem for stability and he suggested that I get retested at Orthopedic Analysis. I was surprised that the results were different?
 
I actually sent a note to my doctor today about the heat that I’m still having in my knee. Is this normal for 2 months after surgery? I don’t remember it being as warm/hot with my prior replacements this far along in recovery. I hate to be such a worry wart, but I’m just so over this:boohoo:
 
Hi jboles,
As we're healing, patience is difficult to come by some days, for sure. Hang in there, you know it will get better.
Regarding warmth -
The increased blood flow to the area results in the warmth, swelling and redness often experienced. As the healing process progresses, the warmth, swelling and redness dissipate. The warmth can take 6 months or longer to resolve. I hope you have a nice rest if the week!
@jboles
 
@sistersinhim and @Layla thank you both for answering my questions. It’s really comforting know that I can reach out with questions and concerns and you will be there to offer advice and support :) :-) (: I just had my assessment with the new physical therapist. I really liked her! She’s mainly going to work on strengthening my quads and muscles used for balance. She said my treatment will be with her and an assistant only, not a different therapist every time.
 
You're welcome, it's our pleasure! I am happy to read you like your PT. It is comforting and less stressful to get one you like, trust and find easy to work with. Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@jboles
 
I had my first PT appointment with my new therapist. It went really well. She explained each exercise and what muscle it was targeting. She’s not working on ROM at all just strengthening hips and quads for balance. I had a tibia stress fracture 5 years ago and have had a lot of shin pain with this surgery. I didn’t realize it but there were 2 holes drilled into the tibia to insert pins for the robot. In the same area where the stress fracture occurred. I’m having a lot of pain in this area when walking and the doctor said it was not likely, but possible, that it caused another stress fracture. They are having me reduce the amount of walking to see if it improves. Geeze, I can’t catch a break, no pun intended :bawl:
 
That had to be discouraging news, especially given you've healed from the first stress fracture only to learn you may be dealing with the same once again. It sounds like you have a good PT that you have confidence / trust in and she will consider what's in the best interest of your recovery as she works with you. Best Wishes, jboles!
@jboles
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom