Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Great that your family came and celebrated with you and cleaned up, too! You will fill so much better when those stitches come out.
 
I’m so terrified of becoming dependent on the cane.
Hopefully you build up the strength and stability to set it aside and walk with confidence without it. :prayer:
 
I appreciate the encouragement, it really helps. I got the stitches out on Thursday. It was a long day. It’s about 2 hours each way and then the actual visit. I was exhausted! I ventured out to the grocery on Friday but was so weak that I didn’t stay long. I fixed dinner last night and hubby cleaned up. All in all I feel like I’m progressing well. Sleep is still not great but I know it just takes time.
 
I’m so terrified of becoming dependent on the cane. I haven’t been able to walk without it since my first knee replacement in 2017
I used a walking stick outside for over 6 months after my PKR and I worried about becoming dependent on it.
But it really helped my confidence as I live in a busy London suburb and I was travelling on buses and trains from fairly early on ( first trip on tube at about 6 weeks). It alerted people to give me more space and something to lean on if standing in galleries.
I didn't find it difficult to give up once I had got my strength back.
I might still take my foldable stick if I go on holiday with a lot of walking with rough terrain/hills- but otherwise I never think of using it.
Just trust your body and give it up gradually in safe spaces when you feel ready. I was largely just carrying it for a while as well.
 
I got the stitches out on Thursday. It was a long day. It’s about 2 hours each way and then the actual visit. I was exhausted!
That's completely normal! You are less than one month post-op and your body is still using most of its energy stores for healing.

I'm sure you've seen the article about Energy drain for TKRs before, but it's a helpful reminder about why we struggle with fatigue for so long.

On the left is the needy 'child' body with areas of damage and trauma indicated. On the right is the giving 'parent' body which you should view as a kind of thermometer gauge indicating the amounts and intensity of energy being sapped by the child body for its healing and recovery. The deeper or brighter the colours, the more intense the amount of energy being drained or used.


Energy drain for TKRs



Energy drain for TKRs



Energy drain for TKRs
 
That’s a great chart about energy drain and I don’t remember ever seeing it, but it sure makes sense! I really should be using more pain medicine for the amount of work that was done but the doctors here really are stingy with it :gaah: I’m taking the maximum amount of Tylenol but it’s really not cutting it. The incision that was made for the robot is almost as painful as the knee pain. The pain is from right above ankle to mid thigh. Is all this normal for robotic surgery?
 
I don't believe the surgery / recovery from robotic surgery is much different than from traditional TKR aside from the technology. At not even one month post op from a revision, pain is normal and your recovery may be slower. Continue with your med schedule, icing and elevating and if you're not getting enough pain relief, consider calling your surgeons office for advice. Possibly they'll prescribe something. You shouldn't have to suffer. :console2:
Wishing you comfort and better days!
@jboles
 
This is my 4th time having a tkr, 1 on the left and this is the third for the right and I’ve never had swelling like this. It’s 3 weeks today and it’s getting worse instead of better. Even my foot is swollen!
 
Are you doing too much? Elevate and ice as much as you can instead of doing things. This will give your knee time to settle down.
 
I’m really trying to elevate and ice today. I took a pain pill this morning and will probably take another this afternoon and before bed. I’ve only been up to get breakfast, lunch and bathroom. And to switch out ice packs. I have my first PT appointment coming up on Monday. I’m really dreading it. It’s really hard to keep a positive outlook. You would think on the fourth go around that I would have this down but I guess we all just want it to be over with.
 
I have my first PT appointment coming up on Monday. I’m really dreading it.
Right now you don’t need exercises, those will increase your swelling. So, ask your PT for modalities to help reduce swelling. And if you’re not up to going, postpone for another time.
 
Question for anyone…I know this surgery involves a lot of manipulation of ligaments and tendons in the knee area, would this have any effect on the arch of the foot. I feel like I have a tight band around the arch of my foot??
 
Back
Top Bottom