Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

@kayow11 no problem. I'm sorry that you are still going through this misery. My bend/flex has always been good, even in the knee that's still valgus after surgery. He also told me that he knows of many patients that have a knee that's as valgus as mine, and they manage with it very well. Well, you know what, I didn't go through knee replacement to manage with it very well. I know what you mean about wanting to knock him off his little rolling stool. :gaah: Of course, they are sorry that the surgery wasn't a complete success, but they aren't the one's left dealing with it. My OS is also extremely nice, and I believe he's also a competent surgeon. It's just one of those things that sometimes happen, we all make mistakes, I just wish that the mistakes that these doctors make would affect them and not their patients.

My right knee prior to TKR was 19 degrees valgus and now it's between 9 - 12 degrees according to who's doing the measuring. My right foot started to pronate severely and it still does, I wear custom orthotics all the time, but my balance is off and my back and hips hurt all the time. So I'm concerned that I'm going to have to have it fixed down the road.

I've almost given up getting a response from anyone on here about revision recommendations. I've tagged Jamie several times, but so far haven't heard anything back.
 
@Jamie was out of the office, so to speak, for a while. She's back now. Let me tag her again for you.

You're right that if you have a problem that can be fixed by revision, you shouldn't be asked to "just put up wth it." That's like putting up with a bad marriage. You can, and there could be reasons why you might, but... only you know if you can do it. I hope you find a revision surgeon who can put you right!
 
Sounds like the same physical problems I have with moderate to severe foot pronation, back pain, balance issues, leg weakness, and hip/knee pain. I am in the process of getting new orthotics since I am finally done with my last surgery.
Some of these symptoms have improved a little since the revision. I know I am not perfectly straight, but much better. I only waited 6 months before revision.
Weird how your OS only partially straightened out your Valgus. I had varus initially that was over corrected to 10 Degrees of Valgus. Did he straighten your other Valgus knee successfully?
I don't know how any person could manage 10 degrees of Valgus. It throws all alignment out of whack.

I get mad just thinking of a surgeon saying that to any patient!!!!!!
 
Yes my left knee is perfectly straight. I knew the moment I woke up from surgery that it was perfect. It was about 15 degrees valgus and the right one was about 19. We chose to do the left first because it hurt the most. But in the 6 months between surgeries my right knee was so painful and at 3 months I was just ready to get it fixed. I’m glad my first knee was fixed correctly because I don’t know if I would have ever gotten the second one done if my first leg would have been crooked after surgery. It makes me really mad when the doctors are so nonchalant about leaving you like this. Of course it’s not a big deal to them. They’re not the ones walking like Quasimodo! I’ve been working a lot of hours lately, sometimes 12 hours at a time. Most of it sitting, that’s really hard on my knees and back and my knee has had a few new aches. For my own sanity I try to not dwell on it too much. It is what it is and I’m trying to make the best of a bad situation. When my work calms down a little and I can focus on losing some weight and exercise I hope to see some improvement. I’m not sure what I’m going to say when I go back to my OS in February. Even if he mentions revision I don’t know if I would or should be willing to have him do the revision.
 
I'm 3 months post-op LTKR and x-rays show I'm 12 degrees of valgus alignment. Is That normal?
 
Mine is somewhere between 9 - 12 degrees valgus, and no, I don't believe that's normal. Are you able to walk ok? What has your OS said about it?
 
My doctor told me that up to 5 degrees is considered normal for the knees.
 
Just for the record, I would not want a surgeon who did not put the first knee in correctly do a revision. You need someone who does a lot of revisions and who can look at your knee critically and without ego.
 
@skigirl I’ve asked @Jamie if I could get a recommendation on good revision surgeons in my area several times, but for some reason she has never responded back to me?
 
Jamie is super busy right now with work on the forum. I will @Jamie here so that she does see the above post. Personally, I seem to have a sieve brain these days---old age is hard!!!
 
@skigirl I agree ... old age is not for the faint of heart. Has anyone had a knee replacement that continues to get more out of alignment? I didn’t think that was possible??
 
I think it is unlikely that the knee will become worse. As to what you will say, why not just be honest and tell him you are extremely disappointed with the knee? After all a normal expectation is to have a straight knee after this surgery. I would not accept his excuses and would just keep repeating that I am unhappy with this knee that is not within the normal range of a knee. I agree that I would not want that guy to do the revision---you might end up worse. But why let him off the hook?

If you bought a couch froma store and it was made badly, you would expect a refund. Maybe we should start asking for at least our co-pay to be refunded to us since we will have to pay again to get a normal straight leg!!!
 
He doesn’t even want to see me until its been a year. Which is 4 more months. I really don’t know where to start looking for another surgeon. I’m just so over all of this...
 
I get it!! I was so sick of hearing the word knee after my second surgery. 10 years later, I still don't want to think about another surgery---it is a pain and I understand. I had to have some adhesions removed and I was the worst patient ever!!! Jo and Jamie got me through it!! So, don't worry, we will help you and you can complain on here ad nauseum, I sure did!!
 
@SusieShoes last month you tagged @Jamie about recommending revision surgeons for me in my area, but she still hasn’t responded?? Is there anyone else who can do that? Or is @Jamie too busy or something??
 
Boy, I somehow missed the tag. I'm so very sorry!!!

Here are the revision surgeons I have for North Carolina:

broken link removed: https://www.southeasternsportsmedicine.com/our-surgeons/amal-k-das-jr-m-d
2315 Asheville Highway
Hendersonville, NC
828-684-8501

Primary and revision hip and knee replacements.


Charlotte, North Carolina

Keith A. Fehring
Thomas K. Fehring
Bryan D. Springer
OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center
Charlotte, NC
Speakers at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees


Durham, North Carolina
Dr. Michael P. Bolognesi
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees
Does lots of research into patient outcomes

I also have these surgeons in Charlottesville, Virginia, but that is a ways farther for you to travel:

University of Virginia Medical

Dr. Quanjun Cui
University of Virginia Medical
Charlottesville, VA

Does revision hips and knees. Works with younger patients.

James A. Browne
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Charlottesville, VA
Revision hips and knees
Speaker at 2018 ICJR problem hip and knee workshop
 
I see Jamie’s responded. I hope one (or more) of those surgeons will see you. You’ve been beyond patient with your knees. Your original OS should not be blowing you off like that.
 
@Jamie thank you for the recommendations. It gives me a starting point. I do feel like I’ve been patient @SusieShoes and I’ve been doing the exercises like my OS wanted, but I’m not seeing much improvement in my gait and no improvement in the alignment. We just went through the sale of our business, to say it was stressful and a lot of work is an understatement. There were many 12 hour workdays and many sleepless nights. I gained weight instead of losing it, I eat when stressed :bignono: so I know my doctor is probably going to use this against me. I suppose I should get busy and try to drop some weight while I try to get an appointment with one of the revision doctors. We are going to Disney World the first week in November. When we made these plans almost a year ago I fully expected to be physically able to go, but I guess I’ll get a scooter and make the most of it. Oh and when I went to the doctor this week because I was having problems with irregular heartbeat I found out I was in AFIB now I have to have all kinds of tests for this:flabber: geez! Getting old stinks
 
Back
Top Bottom