Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Wow! When I called to make my second opinion appointment I got an appointment with one surgeon 2 weeks later and another surgeon 3 weeks later. So, it can happen.

I decided to postpone the later one. I thought if the first one ordered tests, I should get those things done before seeing a second surgeon only a week later.

I was so disappointed in that first appointment that I haven’t had the nerve to try again. I would have if my leg was misaligned, but my issue seems to be very elusive.

It’s amazing how difficult second opinions can be. It’s a whole different ball game.
 
Happy thanksgiving to all. My husband and I decided to cook for everyone this year. It was almost like making 2 completely different dinners, the traditional, then the traditional-but gluten free. A lot of work!!! Now we have tons of leftovers!!
 
That does sound like a lot of work. How kind of you to do that. Did your knees handle the extra work OK?
 
I haven’t posted on here for a while now. I’ve been reading others posts and commenting here and there. I had so hoped to be over these knee replacements by now, sadly that’s not the case. Today I saw my cardiologist. I was diagnosed with A-fib, geez can I catch a break? The medicine they want me to take has so many side effects, I’m not sure I’m going to take it. The internet can sometimes be our worse enemy, it let’s us be able to learn about so much, sometimes that’s good, sometimes not. Just feeling really down tonight..
 
It’s scary to take medication with lots of side effects. I’m sorry that this has been added to what you’re already going through with your knee. :santa hug:
 
Sending a hug your way @jboles :console2:
I’m so sorry this has been such a long, painful journey fo you and to hear about the A-fib. I hope you will be able to make a good decision for yourself regarding the meds.
 
I was diagnosed with A-fib
Did you have any symptoms? Is it something that can resolve itself? A-Fib is not something to play around with, though. Are there other meds that don't have so many side effects?
 
It’s been a while. Lots going on. In my last post I said I was diagnosed with A-fib. I saw my PCP and told her that I wanted a second opinion. She got me an appointment and the new cardiologist that I saw told me that I don’t have A-fib after all. His diagnosis was so different from the other doctors that he had one of the other doctors give a third opinion. I’m glad at least this went in my favor. At my one year follow up, my OS said that he believes he needs to replace the tibial piece in my right knee. The tibial cut is off. I’m like, yeah I know it is. Right now I have a revision set for March 18.
 
the new cardiologist that I saw told me that I don’t have A-fib after all. His diagnosis was so different from the other doctors that he had one of the other doctors give a third opinion. I’m glad at least this went in my favor
My husband has been sent to a cardiologist twice in his lifetime and both issues turned out to be an error. The first time was an error in the stress test machine, the second time, the person doing the report clicked the wrong line on the drop down box on the computer. :hairpulling: Both times upset and scared us for nothing!

Best wishes for a successful revision. :console2:

I had a third opinion on my knee last week. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong Orthopaedic-ly. This surgeon feels it’s a nerve issue. He ordered blood work to look for inflammation and suggested I see a neurologist.

However, once again, he only looked at my X-ray. (He did take new ones that day.) I was hoping he would order a bone scan but he didn’t think it would be informative. :bawl:
 
Last edited:
I’m sorry that you’re still having issues with your knee. You’ve done everything you possibly can. We’re at the mercy of the doctors. I’m glad I got another opinion because the medicine they prescribed has tons of side effects.
I know I need the revision but I’m dreading going through this again. I just pray it’s fixed this time.
 
I know I need the revision but I’m dreading going through this again. I just pray it’s fixed this time.
I know just how you feel. I had a second opinion at 15 months which was a waste of everyone’s time and it took me until now, a month before the 2 year mark, to try again. I know that if my implant is loose, it has to be redone and I dread that, too.

So while I’m relieved that there isn’t any current talk of revision, I’m not fully convinced that my implant is secure, because it doesn’t always show on an X-ray.

So, at least for now, I’ve put the worry of a revision aside and I’ll try the neurologist route. I have nerve damage in my foot, so hopefully he can do something for that, also. To be honest, my knee is doing what my nerve damaged foot does, so I think there’s a chance he can help me.
 
I guess I need to change my title to show it’s a revision and can someone change my name to Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right
 
Thanks to whoever changed my title. @Jockette I think there’s lots that don’t show on xray, but that’s all they seem concerned with. I hope the neurologist can help you, lots of people have good luck with them.

I have a question for anyone on here. My xray report on my right knee said I have a small effusion with joint bodies?? Can anyone explain this?
 
I have a question for anyone on here. My xray report on my right knee said I have a small effusion with joint bodies?? Can anyone explain this?
Do you have, or can you get, a copy of this xray? It would help.
 
@Josephine I’ll try to upload a screenshot of it.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully
    80C5F27C-15B7-4502-ABA3-779DD59B84AB.png
    64 KB · Views: 231
[Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully


Okay, got it now.

I think by 'joint bodies' he means loose bodies, usually of cartilage or soft tissue. They should migrate to the pockets on the side of the joint and become 'glued' there and eventually become embedded in the capsule.
A small joint effusion is normal in knees that have just undergone surgery. It's part of the inflammatory process involved with the trauma of surgery.
 
I was just confused as to how that was possible with a knee that’s had a TKR? This is the first report that says this, other X-ray since the TKR on this knee have said there was an effusion but no joint bodies. I guess he’ll see when he does the revision. Also, is it normal to just replace one part of the joint during a revision?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom