Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Today is my 4 week knee anniversary. A lot of mixed feelings and emotions today. I’m better but not well enough to really be upbeat about this recovery. My knee hurts too much when I push the brake pedal, so no driving yet:beg: that meant I couldn’t go shopping for a Valentines gift for my DH. He said it was fine, but it wasn’t fine with me. I made him a pie, he was happy. I struggle with Valentine’s Day on a good day, it’s my fathers birthday. He’s been gone for 30 years, but it doesn’t really get easier. I’ve made an appointment with my podiatrist. I have pronation in my foot caused from my knee being misaligned. I’m having a lot of tendon and arch pain now that my leg is straight. Hopefully they will be able to straighten up my foot, it’s turned really bad. I just hope it’s not another surgery. I don’t think I have it in me for another surgery :bawl: I haven’t seen much improvement from week 3, I remember last time that weeks 4-5 were very slow in regards to improvement, seems like it was sort of at a standstill till about 6 weeks.
 
I am getting copies of my last X-rays and bone scans for my visit with Dr Pollock the last week in April. Praying you will have better days with much less discomfort. Angry knees are not fun.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I made him a pie, he was happy. I struggle with Valentine’s Day on a good day, it’s my fathers birthday. He’s been gone for 30 years,

@jboles I think a pie is a fabulous valentine's day present. Yum. And I think of my parents every year when their birthdays roll around. They've been gone a long time, I've outlived them both. I think its natural to think of them, especially on their birthday.
 
It's rollercoaster @jboles, but you are doing fantastically well. I'm sure your podiatrist will sort out that pronation.

I'm having lesser issues, but with straightening. It's not that my leg won't straighten, it gets to zero and sometimes better (and sometimes worse too :groan:), but I've gotten used to it being no better than +20 for several months before I had my surgery, and it will take time for me to get used to/re-learn that it can be straight.

Same for your feet, they have to get used to the new forces acting on them, but they will. A good pair of trainers (sneakers) or shoes that help deal with that can help. Most sports brands sell their 'high end' running shoes that are custom fitted specifically to the wearer. They are expensive, but might be worth considering for the comfort factor.

Of course you don't need to be, and probably won't be a runner, I'm not, but the support they offer can really help. I am sure your podiatrist will be able to help you with that, but so can the specialist running shops.

I'm glad you managed to do something nice for Valentines. Luckily I remembered to get some Valentine Chocolates in before I had my surgery! My kids invariably end up eating them all!
 
Jan, if it comes down to it, my husband would rather have a pie than a card. He didn't get one, just a can of cashews that I bought awhile ago but he was happy. Your husband was lucky that you made him that pie. You have come so far really quickly. Maybe that's our problem. We start to feel better and think we're about done. We are both on our second knees. I try to remember where I was this time last year and just can't. Most likely, probably not as far along but I didn't know what to expect then. The good thing is we can remember how great it was when we were done. It will just be a little longer before you feel like driving, probably just a few more days.

We did go out to dinner last night but my knee woke me up really early today to let me know it didn't appreciate the fun I had and wasn't ready to party so today is a day of elevating and icing. Luckily the Olympics are on. I just wish they wouldn't devote so much time to curling. It is not the most exciting sport I've ever seen.

Have a piece of your pie of me today.
 
@robhunt3 thanks for the running shoes idea, I will definitely ask about them. My foot and shin has always been where most of my pain is.
@MSgirl I’m glad you went to dinner last night. Sometimes it’s worth a day of discomfort to have an evening out. Yes, my husband was pleased with his pie, and I may sneak a piece today. I looked back on my thread from the first knee and it seems it was a struggle around the same time. I think our minds think we are better than our knees think we are. The knees always win! I’m reminding myself how fortunate I am today, that I have been given the opportunity to have this surgery and get better every day. My heart breaks for the poor families in Florida that lost children or loved ones in that awful senseless shooting yesterday.
 
Florida really puts our little discomfort in perspective. Compared to their pain, we will get through this soon. They never will. The hamstring pain that I have been having is better. The Motrin seems to be helping a lot. I also think I was a little worried that there was a problem with my knee. So glad it's muscular. And what a thrill that I can call it an athletic injury. I've never one because I've never participated in sports. I guess it's never too late to feel like a jock.

Hope today is a better one for you. Stay in touch.
 
I haven’t seen much improvement from week 3, I remember last time that weeks 4-5 were very slow in regards to improvement, seems like it was sort of at a standstill till about 6 weeks.

Ah, but this is a different knee. :) It may have chosen to standstill now. It may stand still again at some point. It may suddenly improve and never stand still again. You just can’t know in advance. Patience, grasshopper.

I’m sorry your foot is giving you such problems now. :sad: Here’s hoping your podiatrist has some methods for correcting it without surgery. May I ask what shoes you’re using? From before your TKRs? If so, get new shoes. Your old shoes are totally wrong for your new alignment. New ones may not be the answer, though, if your feet are misaligned due to your previous knee issues.

And our minds definitely think we’re better than our knees are ready for. My mind thinks I’m better than the whole rest of my body can handle. My mind thinks we’re 35. :dubious:
 
I was somewhat surprised to learn that my OS has a podiatrist in his practice. It's a large group with many drs. He founded the group and basically runs it. He obviously thinks that podiatrists have their place in our recovery. Glad you are going to check it out.
 
@SusieShoes it’s a new pair of shoes, but I’m using a pair of orthotics that were made for me prior to my surgery. I hope once I get another pair made it will fix the problem. My knee problem originated from a pinched nerve in my back that was pinched by a bone spur. The surgeon who did my back surgery said the hip abductor muscle on the right side had atrophied due to not receiving a signal from that nerve, which in turn caused my knee to turn inward. Then this caused my foot to turn. We really are like the song, the hip bone connected to the....and so on.... I’ve always had a high pain tolerance and I just worked through the back pain, which in hindsight, was not a good idea
 
No, I guess it wasn’t a good idea to work through your pain all those years. If you knew then what you know now, and all that. :nah: But we can all say that, I suppose. This is why older folks actually are wise about so many things. We made the mistakes. The good thing is you can do something now to make your life better.
 
Last edited:
5 weeks... and counting... I’ve been working for a few hours 3 days a week, the other 2 days I have PT , that’s been my schedule for a week now. I’m tired, but getting stronger. The swelling is much less with this knee than with my first one. With all the tendon and ligament work that was done this time, I’ve had more pain. With the opioid crisis that’s going on in the US, I’m having to ration out my pain medicine, because I’m afraid I’ll run out and not be able to get a refill. The OS was only allowed to prescribe 7 days of medication. I got another script for another 7 days at my 2 week appointment, I’ve been taking them very sparingly. The podiatrist wants to wait 6 more weeks before they do anything about my foot pronation. She said to have my PT show me some exercises to do, and then I may have to wear a brace. On a brighter note, I drove for the first time today!!!Freedom:loveshwr:
 
Wow, driving! What a blessing! That freedom to jump in the car and go feels absolutely wonderful! I'm so glad you made to that major step!

I hope pt can find your some exercises to help your foot. I brace sounds uncomfortable.
 
Driving is huge step. I felt like an adult again. :heehee: I hope the brace works to help your foot and gait. Wonderful that it works with your shoes! I would need that. I mean... I like to change up my shoes. :tada:
 
Let us know how the tens works for you.
 
As the podiatrist seemed to indicate, it's not a bad idea to wait until the knee settles down a bit to properly see what the foot is going to be like.
 
Last edited:
I’m trying to be patient @kneeper , but it’s never been one of my virtues. I think that’s been a problem of mine with my TKR’s, I want to be better faster than I’m really ready to be. Having 3 major surgeries in 19 months has taken a toll on me , mentally and physically.
 
Today is my 6 week knee anniversary. I see improvements, small ones, but improvements. Working part time, not nearly as tired as I was 2 weeks ago. PT gave me an exercise for my foot, I hope it helps. Trying to get off daytime pain meds, I’m running out and I’m trying to save them for nights when I’m not able to sleep. Most of the pain is in tendons and Tylenol doesn’t seem to help very much though. My ROM isn’t as good with this knee as it was with my other knee, so I’m a little concerned about what my OS will have to say at my appointment tomorrow.
 
Don't be intimidated. You know that ROM will come. You've been on this site and seen it happen over and over again!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom