Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

I got my test results today via email, my blood count has raised a whopping .02. It needed to raise at least 2 full points not 2 tenths of a point. I emailed my doctor, but it looks like I will be postponing my surgery. I really just want all of this over with. :sigh:
 
Oh that's disappointing but you don't want to do it without your blood counts being optimal! Here's hoping you see continuing raises!
 
Thanks. I'm sure you all understand the dilemma of needing/wanting to just be done with this. A month ago I was no where near ready to do this again, funny how your outlook changes.
 
Drat! Of course you want the surgery and this has to be disappointing. I hope your doctor comes up with a way to deal with this. :sorry:
 
Oh no, you were so hoping to get this over with. Are you eating good foods and taking supplements? Hopefully, you'll be seeing quick improvements in the future.
 
Crud! Of course you are disappointed! How is your doc treating this problem?

Despite this crummy news, huge kudos on all that cleaning and kneeling!

As for the cane, who cares? If you need it, you need it. It’s not as if you are walking around with a stage prop in imitation of Helen Mirren during Paris fashion week!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pheebs52 That conjures up an image... I'm taking a daily dose of iron, and eating a lot of red meat. I'm not much of a meat eater usually, and if I do, it's usually chicken. But I've been eating mostly red meat, liver, some seafood and green veggies. My OS didn't check my levels of stored iron, only my hemoglobin, although the hemoglobin was low, he thought it would build back up on it's own, so he didn't send me home from hospital with an iron supplement. What he didn't take into account were how low the stored iron levels were. I think the range is 20 to 200 and mine are 12. My PCP checked these levels at my 6 weeks appointment with her after surgery. So I got a late start on taking the iron supplement.
 
@jboles, it certainly sounds to me as if you're doing everything possible, but apparently this is just something that takes time...like the knee; aarrgggh! I wish it were different and you could get #2 done this week, but, who knows, perhaps in the end, the wait will work out for the better. You'll be that much more recovered from Numero Uno!
 
Hi, @jboles, I just stopped by to let you know I've been thinking of you! That's not good news about your iron levels, but hopefully they will "iron out" soon! Iron can take a while to build up, but it will happen, so hang in there! You are my hero for being willing to eat liver, especially as you tend not to eat much red meat. (Liver, yuck! My grandpa loved it, so if we ever went out to eat, the restaurant had to include it. My grandma wouldn't cook it at home).

You're also a star for wanting to do #2 and not having to be dragged in kicking and screaming (my probable scenario if/when I have to do it). Pain is a great motivator, isn't it? Maybe my outlook will change, as yours has, but I'm not holding my breath.

Others have weighed in about your increase in discomfort after an active weekend. I too think that you honored the ODIC through increasing your activity so much. How long has it taken for you to regain equilibrium? (I'm finding that when I overdo it, the recovery time is less than it was even a few weeks back.). I think that's another measure you could take if you're wondering whether you "damaged" something. If the pain/discomfort lingers quite a while, and you normally are bouncing back fairly quickly, then it would be something you would want to check out.

I'm sending heaps of healing waves (for the effusion still lurking) and positive iron vibes your way.
 
Three month report.... at this point I don't see enough progress to report daily, so I guess I'll just stick with a monthly update, mostly so I will have something to look back at for my next knee. Most of the early morning stiffness has gone away, now the only time I notice much pain at all is at night. I'm back to doing pretty much everything I was doing before surgery. I only ice occasionally, probably should do it more, I'm sure it would help with swelling. My knee still swells at the end of the day, goes down at night. Since I no longer go to PT, my ROM hasn't been checked, but I think it's improved a little in the last month. My new surgery date for RTKR is January 3, hopefully my iron count will be up by then. I'm trying to get an appointment with a hematologist, my PCP thinks I need a IV infusion to get my stored iron levels up. They are also checking me for celiac disease, since it runs in my family and anemia is a symptom of celiac disease.
 
Good Luck! I hope they can get your iron levels up in time for your new surgery date!
 
January 3 isn't so bad. You get to enjoy the holidays and start off the New Year on new footing. :egypdance:

Sorry to hear your iron is still an issue. A friend of mine who got IV iron for low iron stores said the treatment was painless. Bring a book and don't watch the person put in the IV was her advice. But still it's an inconvenience and a bump in your road to happiness. :sorry:
 
I can handle a bump in the road @SusieShoes if it means I will have more energy and I can get my right knee fixed. Besides, I really don't have a choice. This getting old stuff really isn't for the "faint of heart". We should have to deal with these issues when we are younger and feel like it!! Not how that works though!

Yes, I will get to enjoy the holidays, and recover while the weather is yucky. By next spring I should be raring to go!
 
Sorry to hear you're still dealing with the iron issue. That must make you especially tired by the end of the day.
You'll be glad when you get your #2 done and are 3 months out. My second has been a breeze compared to #1. I hope you will have the same experience! Fingers crossed for you!
 
I need to vent...Can I say great, just great... not really.... Got a phone call from doctor yesterday saying my celiac panel tested positive. I guess that explains the iron issue I've dealt with for years. Does this make me happy? No it does not! My favorite food group is cake, lol. Not that kind of cake that is as dense and hard as a brick, gluten free cake either! Not that I need cake or soft bread or warm doughnuts, yum...., but it sure is a comfort sometimes. Now, not only do I have to see a hematologist for the IV iron infusions, I also have to see a gastroenterologist for the gluten issues. I just wanted to get my knees fixed, not the whole body!! I told them my new appointment date is January 3, so they better get moving because I'm not canceling this appointment again!

Thanks, I feel better now.....
 
Oh man! I feel for you! It is a tough one celiac disease. The good thing is now that you have a diagnosis, you can work towards feeling a LOT better! I have a friend with celiac. She has some really good recipes that are gluten free. Send me a pm if you need some!
 
@Canada35 Thanks for the offer of recipes, I may take you up on it down the road. My granddaughter was diagnosed 3 years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with the basics. She's so happy to have someone else in the family that has to eat like her, her mother said she jumped for joy yesterday. There's so much hidden gluten in almost everything, it's a nightmare.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom