Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

If it wasn't for that dratted joint effusion I would be more at ease. I'm assuming you haven't had any issues with your S & N knee @Polkadot ? I really didn't used to be a worrier! But my OS told me this was the ONLY implant I could use, so if heaven forbid, I would have a reaction, it's not like they can just put my old knee back in:shrug:. Not that I would want it:eeeuw:
 
Ewww is right! No, I haven't had any trouble yet, but I can understand your worry. I try not to think about it because I think this is the only model for me too. Sending positive thought waves your way tonight!!
 
@Polkadot I tell myself not to worry, and most of the time I don't, but sometimes that little voice in my head takes over.
This weekend while I'm trying to do some cleaning :gaah:my non-operated on leg (I can't say good leg) has been killing me. It hurts way worse than my TKR leg. So I just have to hope for the best.
 
I'll continue to hope that your implant is not the problem. An effusion can be from an allergic response, but it can also be from other things far less scary. Stay positive and do what you can to keep your non-operated leg comfy. I think the pain is not only worse in fact, but worse for comparison to your TKR.
 
@jboles, when will you have some definitive answers? I really hope you don't have to wait until October 30th!
 
@Pheebs52 My RTKR is currently scheduled for October 30, but if my iron count isn't up by next week, we will have to postpone the surgery. If that's the case, I will schedule it for January. I'm really torn, on one hand I really need to have it done right away, but on the other hand I would like to wait until January to make sure this effusion is just blood in the joint, and not an allergic response to the implant.
 
I see. So apparently, there isn't any way to more quickly determine if you are having an allergic response or it's "just blood?" ? If that's so, that's really stressful; aarggh!

I wish you could somehow get a definitive answer now; pffft!
 
I'm going under the assumption that it's just blood in the joint, since from what I've been told, and read online, that is a fairly common occurrence. I've had no other symptoms of an allergic response. My knee still gets sort of red and it swells, though not really painful. It's still really warm to the touch though. I do still have the "red spot" that the doctor called a bleed. I wonder if that's what's causing the effusion?? I'm usually going from 6:30 in the morning until I get home around 5:00. I try to elevate and ice mid-day for an hour or so, then again when I get home and usually right before bed. My knee doesn't hurt anymore unless I go all day with no elevating and ice, then it swells huge. I only take Tylenol in the morning, sometimes one more time during the afternoon, most days not. If I haven't had time for any elevating and icing during the day, I may take half a Percocet with Tylenol before bed. If it wasn't for needing my cane for balance, I would be doing great.
 
Sometimes, dont you just hate that little voice in your head? I find myself telling it to be quiet, or to go to sleep. The voice in our head is not always right.
 
Question for those further along in this journey. Last week I was doing some fall cleaning at mountain cabin, since not much had been done for a couple of months. Dusting blinds, washing some windows, stripped beds put on clean linens. Well, I was on my knees on the bed while I was putting on clean sheets. It wasn't painful at all, but this week I've had more pain than I've had in the last few weeks and a lot of swelling. Do you think it's possible that I damaged something by kneeling on my knee on the beds or just more pain from doing more work? Trying to take it easier this weekend.
 
I can't say that I know what the issue is for you, but for me, I have been kneeling on the bed, very gently at first, for quite some time without any ill effects. My very uneducated guess would be that the increase in activity is likely the culprit, but I can't say for sure one way or the other.
 
Last week I was doing some fall cleaning at mountain cabin, since not much had been done for a couple of months. Dusting blinds, washing some windows, stripped beds put on clean linens. Well, I was on my knees on the bed while I was putting on clean sheets. It wasn't painful at all, but this week I've had more pain than I've had in the last few weeks and a lot of swelling. Do you think it's possible that I damaged something by kneeling on my knee on the beds or just more pain from doing more work? Trying to take it easier this weekend.
I think it's probably that you did more work than usual.

Your new knee isn't even 3 months old yet - not even a quarter of the way through this year-long recovery - so it will still let you know if you do too much for it.

It's a good idea to have a quiet weekend.
 
That's what I'm hoping @Fire wolf. I sure would hate to think that I could never kneel again. Like I said it wasn't uncomfortable at the time, but had pain all week. I had a very active weekend with a full work week, plus shopped and baked and decorated my granddaughters birthday cake. I'm being a couch potato today :yawn:
 
At my granddaughters birthday party yesterday, there was a woman there in her upper 80's who was less than a year out from having had both knees done (staged). She said " you still have a cane"? I asked her how long she used one, she said never, she used a walker in hospital but nothing once she came home. I know you're not supposed to compare, but that sure made me feel OLD! Oh well..
 
Try not to let the older woman's apparently faster recovery make you feel something is wrong with yours.
My mother had two knee replacements, the lst one in her mid-eighties. She steadfastly refused to use a cane, saying "They are for old people."
I needed (and used) a cane for both my TKRs and I have made good recoveries. It's just an individual thing, a tool that has nothign to do with how well you are doing.
 
Wow, you did have a very active week and weekend! Good for you, even if it wasn't so good for knee. I think that uou are being good to it by being a couch potato! :thumb:
 
Wow, you did have a very active week and weekend! Good for you, even if it wasn't so good for knee. I think that uou are being good to it by being a couch potato! :thumb:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom