Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery
I know the pain of losing beloved pets too, but I couldn't be without them. I always say " You rescue them, then they rescue you"

Minnie, my purrer, who is helping me no end with my recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Minnie is beautiful. Someone is quite a photographer! I bet she was glad when came back home. Our fur babies are like children to us. I did google about a cat's purr being healing. It's true and amazing! No wonder they give me peace!
 
Thank you, Paula, you are very kind. Just the iPad camera and a cat who stayed still! Max was even more pleased when I came home, he is my soul mate. I hope you keep that feeling of peacefulness over the next few days and after your surgery, it's bound to help healing.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I'm so sorry for your loss of Toby. I know when my sweet Chihuahua Annie died, I said no more dogs. It is so painful to loose a loving pet. That resolution lasted about two months. No one has said a word to me yet about pets and I am not going to ask! Sierra is such sweet company.
 
@Tabbycat, I've been so busy that I haven't had too much time to worry. Right now, I do feel pretty peaceful, and that this is God's will. But, bedtime is a different story. They want me off of all herbs, vitamins and minerals, etc., but I need something to help me sleep. I usually take 1/2 of Walmart's brand of a sleeping pill and that helps. I looked it up a few minutes ago and it's nothing but an antihistamine, and I'm cleared to take allergy meds! Goodie, that should help! My mind wants to bring up all the 'what ifs' off and on during the night. Once that starts it is really hard to get back to sleep. I wear myself out during the day and drift off really quickly, but wake up a few times during the night. Hopefully, getting back on the OTC sleeping aid will help me stay asleep! And hearing those wonderful purrs help, too!
 
@Floridagal, that's one thing they told me that I am not going to do. I'm having my babies with me the night before. The stress of shutting them out and listening to them cry would be overwhelming, adding to the already stressful thought of what's happening the next day! Almost every time I sit down, I'll have one of them on my lap. Sometimes it's even two or three! And they have learned how to share me. Certain ones have me at certain times. It's amazing how they have worked it out.
 
My OS had me use the special soap for 4 days leading up to my revision. There was no way my three little dogs and I could be separated for all that time. I take care of them and they take care of me.
 
@sistersinhim
I know all too well how the 'what if' thinking can cause anxiety and disturbed sleep, but you know you are doing the right thing, and you have loads of support from all your friends here. You will be in good hands, safe, and cared for.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@sistersinhim Like you I woke up at 2:30 and was awake for quite awhile. I put on soothing music and sort of drifted in and out until 6:30. Once I read that if you are resting it is almost as good as sleeping. Your body still does needed repairs. That said I am tired today. It is now less than a week for both of us. Before we know it we will be on the "other side." I look forward to seeing you there.
 
My friends on Bonesmart have been such a God send for me. I am so blessed He led me to this site and to all my new friends! We will be with each other through this journey we're embarking on and will be fine! If we feel like crying, we can. If we feel like shouting for joy, we can. We are all accepted here!
 
Oh Paula, I am so sorry for your loss! It's such a hard decision but the most unselfish thing you can do as a pet owner. Toby sounds so sweet.

I lost both my boys within 6 months of each other. Ben was ill for a very long time and then six months later Jerry went downhill within days. He was ill the whole time I was in hospital for my RTHR and I could not stand to see him suffer anymore. By the time I got home he was not eating or even moving around.

Happy memories will ease the pain of your loss. But this is so hard - I know. Take care of yourself and know that your feline friend is no longer in pain. :console2:
 
Oh yes, I know I did the right thing for him and for myself, too. I couldn't stand to see him suffering. It still hurts, but he is so much better off. But, I really expected to have him another 10 to 15 years. He was only about 5. I still have 11 of them to take care of and to love and to love me! They will purr me back to a healthy knee!
 
Yes, I am a ball of nerves right now and it's still 3 weeks away!
It's the fear of the unknown. My wife had to force me to schedule the first one, and by the time the big day arrived, I was ready to skip town. You will make it, and the second one will not concern you at all! Promise!
 
Having my tooth pulled at 10am this morning. Please say a pray for me and for it healing in time for my tkr.
Check with your OS quick. Some have very strict rules about procedures and extra meds before surgery. And teeth seem to be a particular issue with them
 
Jim, that was 2 weeks ago and I'm healing fine. I did check with my OS and his PA said he said it was OK, to not worry. I took antibiotics just in case. My last stitch came out tonight and I have been able to eat today with my bottom plate in. Yippee! It's sore but much improved!
 
@sistersinhim Hi! I am a big animal person--7 horses, 4 dogs, 1 barn cat and 2 house cats. I can certainly sympathize with your loss of your fur friend--I lost 4 cats last summer.:sad: However, reading this thread has really upset me on an entirely different level! I simply can't believe those of you who have responded to this thread by saying you are not planning to obey your surgeon's requirements to keep clean the night before your surgery, but are instead planning to have your pets in bed with you that night!! :bignono: Do you understand that infection is one of your biggest enemies? Recent studies are showing that many infections that show up in surgical wounds are the result of pathogens carried on the patient's skin. Why do you think they have you wash with all those special soaps, sleep on clean sheets, etc? Joint replacement is such a serious operation--why would you jeoprodize the outcome by running the risk of getting a dangerous infection? :shrug: You owe it to yourself to do what is needful to try and guarantee the best possible outcome of your surgery--put the dog/cat out for the night!!:ok:
 
@Kssii, thank you for your concern, but I really don't think it'll be problem since I'll be showering and using the wipes the next morning before surgery. I have never shut my cats out of my bedroom. And I've had surgeries since the 80s without ever wiping down the next day. That's something that was started recently. If I were to shut the cats out of my room they would be hollowing at my door and I would not be able to sleep. What I think is worse is petting them the next morning after my cleanse. It just seems crazy to me to wash with special soap for days and still go about life as usual like wearing sunscreen, putting on lotion, washing dishes, scrubbing the floor, cleaning litter boxes, etc. What is really going to matter is what I encounter after getting to the hospital. The first thing I will do will be to go to the bathroom. What will I pick up there? To me, it would make more sense to shower and wipe down after getting there right before going into OR.
 
I took antibiotics just in case.
Who prescribed the antibiotics for you? This is exactly what the AAOS, ADA and BOA were concerned about when they issued the statement about dental treatment and antibiotics. Taking them 'just in case' is exactly how we are now in a crisis with untreatable bugs and ineffective drugs. It's not necessary!
I simply can't believe those of you who have responded to this thread by saying you are not planning to obey your surgeon's requirements to keep clean the night before your surgery, but are instead planning to have your pets in bed with you that night!! :bignono: Do you understand that infection is one of your biggest enemies? Recent studies are showing that many infections that show up in surgical wounds are the result of pathogens carried on the patient's skin. Why do you think they have you wash with all those special soaps, sleep on clean sheets, etc?
@Kssii you are so totally off beam here. Do you not know that the reason we have to use these disinfecting protocols is not for our benefit but for other patients and the ward in general! Most pathogens in hospitals are most likely antibiotic resistant pathogens, and are actually taken into the hospital by staff, visitors and new patients.

Plus most contamination is on our hands so that's why they have bottle of antiseptic hand wash by doors and everywhere - so staff and visitors can sanitise their hands before they go to the patient. And staff often wear badges!

[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery


Plus staff are trained (supposedly) to wash their hands frequently and certainly before and after they deal with a patient. And, what is more, to wash hands properly which very few people really do.

[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery



So whatever you do in the way of pets or anything else at home is pretty much irrelevant. But the key is that everyone from patient and domestic to surgeons, should wash their hands before going to a patient. Wash, wash, wash - and then wash again! That's the way to prevent infection. Not depriving pets of their usual comforts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom