Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you are scared, this is major surgery. I know you will do great. I hope to see you "on the other side." This phase cracks me up and makes me want to update my will! I am hosting my reading group the night before surgery. That should distract me. I bet you could use some good distractions too, perhaps a dinner out with a friend. Wishing you rapid healing and lots of loving support.
 
Hi Amy Jo. I have been really busy getting things ready for next week. I have all the yard and house work to do. Today I moved most of furniture out of the den and vacuumed then shampooed the carpet. The knee is definitely
'there' now! Tomorrow it will be the same thing for my bedroom. Then next week washing the wood and vinyl floors. Then string trimming and grass cutting. Wow! Who's going to do all this when I'm laid up? Maybe my kitties. Oh yeah, I have to take care of 11 of them! Now, that's incentive to get back to normal living! My babies will need me. I'm a rescuer and am committed to taking care of them as long as I need to. It's my ministry.
 
I'm glad you're getting everything done now, because your knee will need you to rest a lot after your surgery.
After your TKR, try to avoid the natural tendency to do too much, too soon.
Rest, icing, elevation, regular medication, and only a little gentle exercise are what your knee will need, so that it can heal successfully.
 
I won't hurt myself. I have neighbors that will help me out for a while. I know day to day living will be enough exercise for my knee. And I plan on doing very little of that for the first few weeks. I'm a firm believer in the Bonesmart way!
 
11 kitties! Critter rescue work is wonderful. My daughter moved back home with a kitty she adopted. I warned her about my allergies and I survived until the weather warmed up. Sweet girl found a good home for him and is taking him over tonight.

Best wishes for your surgery. I understand about the tears. I sometimes cry because it hurts and I feel so helpless.
 
Thank you @LoveGiants! It is had work, but very rewarding. They range in ages from 2-20. Taking care of them after the surgery will be a challenge, but much easier than if they were dogs! I have 2 pet doors so they can come in and out as they please. The hardest thing will probably be keeping them off of my leg.
 
SIM, since you are deep into kittie rescue, let me introduce you to my two I just got from a rescue centre only eight weeks ago. They are Mr Tom (B/W) and Pru. She was 6 weeks old when I got her and he was 2 years old. They had never met before I got them home and this was taken after only 3 weeks. They play constantly and where one goes, the other is right there too! I am absolutely delighted they get on so well.

Yesterday I had to take Mr Tom to the vet for an xray and Pru just didn't want to know me all day! I think in her little kittie mind she was certain I had got rid of him as when I got him home, she was all over me with head rubs and purrs!

[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery


Oh yes, I got them because I had to have TomTom, the old boy in my avatar, put down on Easter Sunday and I just couldn't bear to be catless. He was 20 years old though but I still miss him dreadfully. Such a gentle giant he was.
 
Love Josephine's new kitties, aren't they the best company? Sorry to hear about TomTom, sad, but I'm sure he had a good life.
@sistersinhim
Your kitties will need you after your surgery, but they will also give back with purring therapy, which, I read, is a healing frequency which helps heal bones, how amazing is that!
 
Wow, I didn't know about purring healing energy! Too bad dogs don't purr. I just get sloppy kisses.
Now your work of preparing is finished and the work of healing will soon begin. I will be sending positive thoughts your way as the big day comes.
 
@Josephine I have a Mr. Tom, too, except his name is Domino. I'll set him up as my avatar for a while. The one I use now is Onyx. He loves to stick his tongue out, as you can see! They told me at the joint class to not let any animals in my bed the night before the big day. But, that won't happen. They keep me calmer. And I do so love to hear their purring! @Tabbycat, I didn't know that about hearing purring helps to heal bones. Well, my bones ought to heal really quickly! And thank you @Floridagal for your positive wishes!
 
Josephine, your new kitties are adorable.

I'm a dog person, but do love other people's cats. My daughter's cat is a cutie:
[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Thankfully she found what looks to be great home for him.

My fur baby, although she's really a daddy's girl:
[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery
 
Our pets are our family members! I would be terribly lonely without them.
 
@sistersinhim I am going to have surgery the day before you! My date was just changed this morning to June 1. Thank goodness my boyfriend and my brother are flexible. Here is a picture of my other chief supporter. Yes, she is furry little thing with a big affectionate heart. Her name is Sierra. Now I have a zillion things to do.
[Bonesmart.org] Thinking of Canceling Surgery
 
Wow! Another change. Great! You have no time to worry and will stay busy up until S day! That's the best way to do it.
Your Sierra is precious. I bet she's your pal and best friend. Let her love you back to health!
 
They told me at the joint class to not let any animals in my bed the night before the big day. But, that won't happen.
What utter rubbish! Although I lost both kitties last year there is no way I would have barred them from being near. They were so comforting before and during my recovery. Glad you are not buying into this!
 
@Jaycey, I thought that was a stupid statement, too. I have to shower and do the antibiotic wipes before bed and then again before I leave to go to the hospital. Any animal germs will be wiped off then. And shoot, I'm going to pet them anyway before I go. If I were to shut them out of my bedroom it would hurt me and them, too!
 
You will pet them before you leave and probably first thing when you get home. And they will be with you all through your recovery. These people obviously have no pets! Enjoy their company and cherish the time you have with them. I lost my Jerry cat the day I was discharged from my RTHR. That hurt worse than the post op pain!
 
My cats spent almost all day, every day, resting on the bed with me while I recovered from my TKRs. It was soothing and comforting to have a furry friend beside me.

I've read somewhere that a study was done, which showed that stroking a cat is therapeutic, because it can help to lower your blood pressure.

My animals have always been full members of our family. I remember that i cried more when my golden retriever died than when my father died, around the same time.
 
I've had a lot of surgeries. For the first one, I kept my two cats out of my bedroom. It was so stressful for all of us. I missed them and they spent all their time trying to get to me. They knew something was wrong and they wanted to help. After my other surgeries, I let them come and go as they wished. It was comforting to me to have them around.
 
I lost my last one just two weeks ago. He was rescued from the dump. And was the most loving cat I've ever had. About 5 years ago he had to have his back leg amputated due to 2 really bad breaks. He was a trouper and snapped right back. I noticed he wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago and not eating so I took him to the vet on Friday. She thought he might have had a UTI and gave him meds for that. He got no better and I took him back Tuesday morning. Another vet examined him and found his bowels were blocked. If only that first vet had found that 4 days earlier he might have been able to beat it. But, it had gone too far. His colon was stretched out of shape and would never work right again. He had to be put down. It bout killed me and still hurts really bad. He was so special and they will never be another one like him. He actually tried to talk and would answer me back. He was my sweet Toby. Unfortunately, being good pet parents means having to make decisions that hurt mighty bad. They trust us to do the best by them and I always try and do that. But, each time I lose one it is like losing a family member...and it is! @Jaycey, I can't imagine losing one on the day you got back home. I know your pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom