Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all at one time or another think about cancelling or wonder if we made the right decision in having the surgery, but if you make a pro and con list you will see surgery is the right thing to do, the knee is not going to get better and the pain will always be there...you will do great and soon you will be glad you did it
 
Thank you. You sounds so encouraging. As the time gets closer, more anxious I get wondering if I'm doing the right thing. It's so funny how the knee has been better lately. It's like it knows!
 
I recently had 3 wisdom teeth pulled, so my sympathies are with you. I wanted to get this done so that I wouldn't risk an infection after my TKR. I'm thinking it will be best for us to have this dental work behind us while our bodies are getting used to our new knees. It's been 4 weeks for me, but things were healed up nicely after 3 weeks. I also had these BIG holes in my mouth - quite scary when I was anxious to recover quickly. I rinsed frequently with warm salt water, which seemed to be helpful. I hope you're all healed up soon!
 
That's why I went to the dentist when I did. Unfortunately, something was found. And now I still have right much healing to do and continue to rinse with salt water and mouthwash this butcher job on my mouth. I did find another dentist that takes my insurance, so if an emergency comes up, I have coverage.
 
I had my joint class today. PT came in and said they will get my knee to 90/0 before I go home. Little do they know that they are not going to touch me. I will do what I have to do to rehab my knee. They won't let me elevate, will make it lay straight. So it sounds like it's the old way of doing things. For me it's going to be the BoneSmart way! I'll have only one night in the hospital if all things go as planned. They can't force me to stay if everything else is OK. If I am not 90/0 on the first day, that's not going to paralyze me! I can tell I'll have a fight on my hands. But, my way is going to win!
 
Most surgeons don't expect 90 degrees until 4-6 weeks. Expecting it so soon after a TKR (which is major surgery) is expecting too much, in my opinion. My knee was so swollen initially that it wouldn't bend at all for the first 4 days. Once the swelling decreased, my knee started to bend and the flexion increased with no effort on my part.
Stick to the BoneSmart principles and don't allow any forcing or excessive exercise of your knee.
 
That is exactly what I plan on doing. I have proved to myself that I can do my rehab without help from anyone. I take it slow and easy and know when to stop. PT will try and put a mental trip on me, but I know better. Not only have I had personal proof, many on here have also proven the fact that the BoneSmart way is the way to do it. I will make sure I can get back and forth to the bathroom and walk up my 5 steps before leaving the hospital. Whether I reach 90/0 is beside the point! It'll come when it's ready to come!
 
Hi Sistersinhim, I didnt start PT until I was 5 weeks out. Then I only went 3 days until they told me I had reached their goal. They gave me exercises to continue at home which I do. And everything os going great. I am so pleased with my surgery. Getting my left TKR on 6- 20. You will be fine just do what you feel like doing and rest.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
Thank you @Fholley, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I've had a total of 10 knee surgeries and after my first lateral release, the in-hospital PT caused my knee to bleed inside and out. I have not had a bit of PT since that time. I have done it all myself and did just fine! I know the exercises, but most of all, I know day to day life will rehabilitate my knee. I am a very independent lady and head-strong. I will get to where I need to be and I'll do it the gentle, non-traumatizing way!
 
I couldn't get my heel on the ground the morning after my revision. The PT said if I didn't get it down to the ground right away I would have to have a MUA! It wasn't even 24 hours post op! I broke up and laughed in her face even though I was in a lot of pain.
 
I pray I will laugh at them too, instead of getting mad and saying something I'd regret! I really get upset at uncaring people and it seems like a lot of therapists enjoy inflicting pain. I'd be a terrible nurse. I can't stand to see someone in pain!
 
@sistersinhim
I would probably laugh in their face too. (And then maybe take my good leg and kick them in their knee! lol) At my age, I've become even more sarcastic - in a funny way. Course, I've also had to learn to speak up too. I hope I remember that if I need to!
 
@birdwatchr, I hope both of us will speak up when we need to. I've been drilling it in my mind, 'no gain with pain!' And 'it's my knee and you can't touch it!' Hey, if I want to take as long as I want to rehabilitate, who's business is it anyway except for mine and my kitties'!
 
@sistersinhim What makes a good nurse is one that can be as compassionate as possible and tries to alleviate the pain of their patients. Some of these cold hearted people I refuse to consider them a nurse. Your recovery will actually be much faster as I found out by not working harder.
 
@newlybionic would you come and be my nurse next week?! And while you'll there, line me up with Bonesmart way therapist!
 
I wish I could! Just always make sure you speak up for yourself and if there's a problem in the hospital tell them you want to speak to the nursing supervisor immediately and don't take any excuses. You'll do fine.
 
I just got a call from At Home Healthcare that my OS has ordered for me. I guess my tests came back OK. I don't think he would have ordered that if they hadn't. Now, I'm really freaking out and feel like crying. It was always something I would have to have done in the future. I have heard that since my 20s. Now, it's not the future it's now. Oh boy am I scared!
 
I wish you could, too, @newlybionic! I'll have to pray for someone as caring as you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sistersinhim
I'm scared too, as it gets closer. I think it means we're "normal". But it doesn't keep my brain from fighting me! I just saw what insurance did NOT pay for the stress test! Hmmmm..... THAT should keep my mind off surgery for a while! But we will do fine.
 
These insurance companies are getting way out of hand. My secondary insurance paid less than $100 for my last surgery. I called, but it did no good. They had some lame brained excuse, as usual.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom