TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

I think I have an infected throat....headache, sore throat, lumps on back of tongue, white pockets on tonsils...ugh. Headed to dr tomorrow.
 
Oh no, I'm sorry! Have them culture you. Headaches go hand in hand with strep. Hopefully it's nothing but get it checked and let us know!:friends:
 
I agree, make sure to get it cultured. I hope you feel better soon, it's awful to be sick, especially while you're healing form TKR.
 
I just spent the last week being sick, and it is really unfair to have to deal with illness in the middle of TKR recovery. We really should get some special dispensation to not have any illness during this time frame! I shall do some research and see how I can make that happen for us!
 
Oh Helen, I was just about to congratulate you on being able to sit and stand through a church service and then I read further and see you are under the weather with your throat! Glad to hear you'll be at the doc's tomorrow and will be able to nip this thing in the bud; aargghh! Hope you can get some serious zzz's tonight to help beat that bug!
 
Coming to the party...late. In June, I entered a new world called TKR. Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I am learning sooooo much! Wish I had joined sooner! Now about that sore throat...I cannot imagine dealing with being sick AND nursing my knee replacement! Helen, I am praying you get immediate relief!
 
Hello @ProudNana! Do you have your own Recovery Thread? If not, one of the Forum Advisors can help you set one up so we can all track your journey! You've joined a great group!
 
Ah! Your post to Paula answered my question - you said the one with the screws was the hardest. I think it's from all the additional hardware they had to drill into the bone. Finally though, I see someone has a knee that looks like mine! :) My OS wanted to use this particular implant due to me being younger and having strong bones but he did warn me recovery is longer. I'm just not sold yet that I want it this way going into the next knee. The pain/discomfort has to get much better.
Did you have any of those thoughts preparing to have your 2nd knee done?
Here is your twin porous/screw implant lol
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!
    IMG_0429.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 160
@jaschembra The second time around, I put my faith in the surgeon. He took a look at #1 and Hrrrmphed. Not sure what it meant, but he moved right along in the discussion to replace #2. I did not even ask what kind of replacement he used! Looking back,I guess that was shortsighted of me. But, as someone else posted, there is not much definitive info out there on types/brands, etc.

I believe the first recovery was harder because of a variety of factors: I was under general anesthesia ( and out of it for 24 hrs!), stayed in hospital 4 days, took much more heavy duty pain meds for longer ( no help from dr on pain mgt. other than take more meds), had no idea what to expect ( absolutely no pre-surgery education/info), had home PT for 2 wks before going out at all, found Bonesmart by accident at about week 4. All of that in addition to those wicked looking screws!

This time around I had to attend a pre-surgery class ( which, even though it was #2, I found very informative and helpful), had a spinal, nerve block and light anesthesia, came home 6 hrs after surgery, went out to gentle PT starting the next day and I was already a Bonesmart participant. I knew what to expect and how to manage the pain. And I know that this recovery will take a full year before I am back to normal activities without letting the knee rule.
It was an added bonus when I saw the X-ray last week and discovered #2 is cemented in!
 
PT at 2 today, GP appt at 3:30. Meanwhile, gargling with warm salt water and taking Tylenol. Thanks for all the concern. Even water tastes funky. Ugh!
 
(((Helen))) good idea on gargling, but just ....ugh! Are you sure you're up for PT today with that throat? I'd cancel. Color me wimpy!
 
I think you should cancel PT. What if you're not up to it or what if it's catching? With being sick you need as much rest as you can get to heal your whole body.
 
There's a nasty cold/cough thing going around here. My friend thought she may have walking pneumonia, but started getting better. If you feel anything like her or my sister (has it too) you don't feel like PT.
 
I would cancel PT feeling that bad and what do you really lose with a cancelled PT session. :)

Thanks for the info!! After you explained your whole process of the 1st TKR I can definitely understand why it was harder and that's not even taking into account the knee! I really liked having a nerve block, the spinal, and sedation. It was perfect. I probably would not have known so much about my implant, except the OS wanted me to know the downside of using it. "Recovery".

Hope you're feeling better real soon.
 
Thanks, Friends! I went to my DO today. She thinks I have a virus. Apparently, it's going around here. No strep. Whew! She prescribed a compounded "miracle mouthwash" that you rinse, swish, gargle and swallow! She agreed symptoms are flu like and miserable. I did go to PT, but did very little. Then to the pharmacy/grocery store where I walked through 1/2 of the huge store, DH did the other half. I wanted the frozen foods side so I could pick ice cream flavors. I am SURE it will make my throat better. Tomorrow he is going to ATL to pick up the new car and I will do NOTHING.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom