TKR The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR

I iced several times a day pretty consistently for at least 3 months, but I had pain. I had virtually no visible swelling and my ROM was great. I imagine there is some internal swelling and it might help alleviate it if you ice. I am 8 months post op and not icing every day, but I would say at least three or four evenings a week as it relieves pain across the top of my knee. I also use moist heat when my IT band acts up. Congrats on your progress. It sounds as it you are doing great!
 
Thanks for your response! I still am icing my left knee sometimes (four months out). It seems to help the tightness. I will continue to ice both knees like I have been. With my ice machine and my Zero gravity chair, it is easy to ice and elevate while watching tv!
 
Loving my zero gravity chair for icing and elevating right now - outside - because we're having a heat wave in STL! :) I've had a busy day and dinner is already prepared so my knee has earned a spot in the chair with pillows propped just right. Oh, I've earned the spot too!

You will want to ice for many months. It just makes sore knees feel better. I still ice usually 1 x a day (some days twice) just to help with my inflammation and the knee likes it.
 
Last edited:
@jaschembra, you certainly have earned a spot in that chair - and a beverage of your choice. You, too, @Iloved3! Find your favorite show, turn on the ice machine and put your feet up.
 
@jaschembra, Thank you, I googled it and there were several for over $2000 and there were some that looked like a great outdoor chair so I was confused.
 
@hempsteadjb my Zero gravity chair is actually an indoor recliner. The back reclines separately from the foot rest elevating (two different buttons). Fully extended, the back lies almost flat while my feet are elevated above my head!!! It is wonderful for elevating and icing!
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
  • [Bonesmart.org] The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR
 
Well I got my exercise bike. I can just barely do a full rotation on it and I am using it with zero resistance, just to get the bending and stretching. I did 10 minutes twice yesterday on the bike and walked 0.8 mile with my cane. I feel like it is helping me stretch and my knee feels loser.
:upright:

I have started using heat on my knee to loosen it up before I do the bike and ice on it after I ride the bike and walk.
:hiking:

I go to PT today to see if I have made any progress and see my doctor tomorrow to be released to drive! Very exciting!
:happydance:
 
Good for you! Congrats especially on being able to drive!

Did heating your hamstrings help with the stretch?
 
I have started using heat on my knee to loosen it up before I do the bike and ice on it after I ride the bike and walk.
It's really a bit too soon to be using heat on your knee. The heat will bring more blood to your knee and that could make it swell up. It's better to walk a little bit to loosen your knee up.
 
I am heating my knee before exercise and I am not having any bad results. My bend progressed to 112 degrees today and I am not having pain or swelling. My PT thought the heat was a good idea before exercise. He agreed I should ice after.

I see my surgeon tomorrow and I will talk to him about it.
 
Saw my surgeon today! NO MORE COMPRESSION HOSE!
:loveshwr:

I am released to drive and he said everything is looking great! See him again in 10 weeks.

He approved using heat to relax my muscles before walking and using my bike and icing afterwards!

I am one happy camper!!!!:yes!:
 
What a great appointment you had today!
 
Saw my surgeon today! NO MORE COMPRESSION HOSE!
:loveshwr:

I am released to drive and he said everything is looking great! See him again in 10 weeks.

He approved using heat to relax my muscles before walking and using my bike and icing afterwards!

I am one happy camper!!!!:yes!:
Heat on the muscles is fine. Congrats on the :driver:
 
I am heating my knee before exercise and I am not having any bad results.
I responded to this comment of yours, advising not to put heat on your knee, because that is what you said you were doing.
I still stand by that advice.
He approved using heat to relax my muscles before walking
Heat on the muscles is OK, as long as you don't apply it to your knee.
 
Sounds like your OS appointment was great! No pain or swelling is even better.
 
Well I am now going on 9 weeks since my second TKR and over 5 months out on my first TKR. I am at 0 extension and 117 degrees flexion.
:yes:

I am walking without a cane, except for my long walks. I am waking a mile 3-4 days a week and riding my exercise bike for ten minutes 3-4 days a week. Still doing PT twice a week.
:happydance:

For the most part I have very little pain (except for nerve sensitivity in my incision which I control at night by wrapping my knee in plastic wrap like I saw on this forum) but the stiffness is intense in both knees. That feeling of having an ace bandage around both knees is there almost all the time and really intensifies when I have to stand in one place very long. It is so annoying! I am still taking Tylenol regularly.
:sigh:

Just this week I have been feeling so fatigued (maybe because I am doing a lot more), frustrated and blue. This recovery just is so long! I want my life back.
:beg:

I am still spending a lot of time icing both knees, elevating, and now soaking in the hot tub at the instruction of my doctor and and PT where I do stretching and flexing my knees. I have lost 14 pounds since my surgery with eating well and avoiding sugar/carbs. I know losing some weight has to be good for my new knees.
:loveshwr:

I have seen my nurse practitioner and had labs. My blood sugar has improve, as has my cholesterol. My BP and hemoglobin are normal. But I still have little stamina.
:sorry:

Am I just expecting too much? I know the annoying tightness can go on for months, but I am so done with it!
:boohoo:

I guess my big question is how to keep a positive attitude? I thought I was doing well with keeping positive and then, bam, I am feeling negative again.
:bawl:

Any words of wisdom from the experienced?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom