Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Recovery Journey Begins: Second TKR

I am thinking about buying an exercise bike. They have not yet put me on the bike at PT, but it is only a matter of time. I think it would be nice to have one to continue my recovery, in addition to walking.

My question is: recumbent or upright? Is there a preference for TKR folks? What features are essential?
 
I am thinking about buying an exercise bike. They have not yet put me on the bike at PT, but it is only a matter of time. I think it would be nice to have one to continue my recovery, in addition to walking.
I wouldn't buy a bike. How much will you use it after your knee is healed? So many of those exercise bikes end of as clothes hangers!
If you're determined to get one, look for a second-hand one on Ebay.

Use the bike at your PT facility when you're there, but remember that walking is the best exercise of all for your knees.
 
I used to have a Nordic track, then I had a treadmill......:shrug:......

I was able to sell the Nordic track, then my son took the treadmill, I don’t know where it is today.
 
I understand your point, but I need to exercise more than just for my TKRs. I am overweight and have been a couch potato due to knee pain.

Walking is great and I will do that when I can. I live in Kansas City and winters here are hard for walking. We get some snow but walking in the snow is not a problem. The problem is we have a lot of ice. I need something I can do at home when it is too slick to walk. I am terrified of falling.

I still am not sure whether there is any difference between the recumbent and upright bikes. If anyone knows, I would appreciate hearing from you!
 
I find a recumbent is better on my back, but a harder workout on the legs. I bought one from Amazon about a year ago. I used it to help my rehab, but now, it's just sits there. I much rather use my real bike outside!
 
I understand your point, but I need to exercise more than just for my TKRs. I am overweight and have been a couch potato due to knee pain.
Sure! But leave that for a while.
Give your knee a chance to heal for a couple more months before embarking on a general exercise programme. It will be easier by then, because your energy drain will also have decreased.
 
I am not looking about starting an exercise/weight loss program for some time, maybe January.

I would rather walk outside or ride my real bike too but that is not going to happen when we have an inch of solid ice on the ground!

Thank you @sistersinhim for you insight on the recumbent bike. I have some back pain and some neck/shoulder pain so it makes sense to me!
 
I still am not sure whether there is any difference between the recumbent and upright bikes.
I think it really is personal preference. I like recumbents because they're easier on both my lower back and my rear end. Maybe you answered this already--but can you try out both at your PT facility and see which is most comfortable?

I live in New England so I get it about not being able to walk for exercise in the winter, unless you take up mall walking--but the floors in our local mall are so hard and slippery, walking there is not pleasant. I've found several online low impact aerobic routines that I choose from for winter exercise--easy moves that don't tax hips and knees but do keep me moving.
 
I understand the desire to have some exercise equipment at home. My husband and I have both a treadmill and a stationary bike and use them almost year round. It's hot (we had around 30 days over 100 this year) in the summer and foggy and cold in the winter -- and especially when we were both working it was convenient and cost effective in terms of time to have them at home. I think @gertie has a good idea in trying the different styles out at your PT's office. The one kind I would not get is what I have - an air bike. You cannot adjust the resistance except by how fast you pedal as the air moving through the large front wheel provides the resistance. I had this bike for a couple of years before my TKR and because there is always some resistance could not use it at home for awhile after surgery. It's upright and generally I like that (it provides a little more aerobic workout than the recumbent I use at the senior center). It might be telling that my senior center (which serves us oldies but goodies) has only recumbent bikes.
 
Thanks so much for your insights, @phrog and @gertie . I think I will go with the recumbent bike. I remember now that leaning forward on the upright bike at the gym caused pain in my neck and shoulder. I injuried my neck as a teenager and it has never been the same!

I am getting better each day since my RTKR and I am beginning to walk some while the weather is nice. I plan to buy the bike and let my son put it together so I can rehab my knee and have it for a more concentrated fitness plan this winter!
 
I think you'll find the bike very helpful.
 
Congratulations on the improved sleep. Yes, enjoy the walking before the snow flies.
 
Well I am almost 5 weeks post surgery now. Although my bend in Rubie (RTKR) is not as good as Lucie (LTKR), I am showing progress and I am satisfied! I am at 104 degrees so no complaints!

The thing that is amazing me is that I am having less pain than I did with Lucie, especially the uncomfortable aching when my leg is not elevated! I am really doing well sitting at a table to have a meal at less than 5 weeks while I had that aching for 10 weeks before!!! It is wonderful!

A week and a half and I will be done with the compression hose and Elequis (my mom died of a DVT that became a PE). I also will be released to drive when I am ready!

Life is good!!!!!
 
I have a bed that is very tall with a thick pillowtop mattress. I am short, so it is a struggle to get into. It is wonderfully comfortable to sleep in!

Following both TKRs I used a different bed that was much lower. Yesterday I moved back into my own bed and it was heaven! I have to step up on a little step to get in but boy did I sleep great!!!!!!!
 
There’s something to be said for a familiar bed! I slept every night in my own bed, but on the “wrong” (other) side because of easier access to bathroom. Boy was I happy to return to my own side.

What great news that your right knee is having an even better recovery than your left. :) That makes the back half of your recovery so much more pleasant. You can see the end of the road so much sooner!
 
I have a question about icing. I am now 5 weeks post surgery. I am having very little pain, using only Tylenol, walking with my cane rather than with the walker, sleeping pretty well and feeling good. I am pleasantly surprised that the aching from sitting with my leg hanging down has improved greatly! This lasted much longer with my left knee.

My knee does not feel or look swollen. I have that tight band around my knee feeling (I still have that feeling in my left knee also) but seldom any pain. My flexation is at 110 degrees. Extension is 0.

My question is about icing. I am still icing at least three times a day for an hour and a half each time using my GameReady. Since I have not reached full flexation, does that mean I still have internal swelling and is the ice still the best thing? I know it feels good.

How often and how long did other people ice? Did you just ice when you felt stiff or pain?

Thanks for any insights!
 
My question is about icing. I am still icing at least three times a day for an hour and a half each time using my GameReady. Since I have not reached full flexation, does that mean I still have internal swelling and is the ice still the best thing? I know it feels good.

How often and how long did other people ice? Did you just ice when you felt stiff or pain?
Keep on icing, although you could probably cut back the length of time you do it. You will still have som internal swelling, since your flexion hasn't reached its ultimate yet.

I think it was about 9 months post-op before I stopped icing completely. In that latter months, I just did it when my knee felt tired or a little more swollen after some extra activity. Icing it felt very soothing and it was a good excuse to sit down and rest for a while.
At that time, you probably won't still need the GameReady and could use frozen gel packs instead - if you keep them frozen, all you have to do it grab one or two and put them on your knee, so there's no time wasted on setting up a machine.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom