TKR the other side, finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 4 (full day out of surgery). Good sleep. On and off for 6-7 hours. CPM machine arriving between 3-5. Pretty sure I was supposed to call VNA last night but will do so this am. The PT would not let me go without two sessions yesterday and I was in agony last night, but here is the thing.... I can get up without assistance to the commode and can do leg extensions without any more than a four pain level right now. I had pain meds every 3-4 hours last night.colace 2x/ day but have not gone since before surgery. Don't know if this is normal?? Calling hospital now b/c I left my charger there. Will check in later. I am in a fog for sure.
 
It does affect the old.toileting they will be giving you meds for it tho

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @kvhundley - wanted to pop over and say hello to a fellow Massachusetts TKR! Sounds like you had a time of it in the hospital, so sorry to hear that. Glad you are home now. I always have dried prunes at my bedside. Between that and prune juice, I was normal pretty quickly. May want to give it a try.

I am surprised that VNA was not contacted by your hospital discharge coordinator. I did not have to call anyone, VNA called me. You might see some of the same people I saw!

Try to rest, ice and elevate. It does get better. Hang in there - Hugs!
 
There have been a lot of inconsistency with my care, but I am just trying to get thru the day and not get hung up on it, otherwise I would drive myself crazy! Taking pains meds every four hours and pain really is controlled. My ?? Flextion??Not sure which it is but the one where your knee is bent was 68 and my extention was 6. Day five without a visit from the poop fairy but I am optimistic. I seem to doze off all the time. Hoping for a successful visit with pt tomorrow. She wants me to go up the stairs which at the moment I can't imagine doing!
 
You do what you feel you can. Do.1.stair if ok continue if.not don't. Omg day.6 when that dam bursts well no.more said. Glad.pain is under control makes a.diff. So.the.only.pain here is meeeeeeee toodles

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin thanks. Visiting nurse to arrive soon to change dressing. Feeling better today. Don't like this CPM machine as I am stuck with it on until somebody comes home. It is awkward and bulky. Slept from 1-14 which is the longest far. It has rezlly helped to read Celle's progress reports. I got up unassisted from the couch to walker to go to the loo but felt it for an hour afterwards. Taking milk of magnesium, colace and senna for constipation but nothing but rumblings so far!!
 
Hv you tried prunes or prune juice.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good I know its.not.comfy

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@kvhundley I was taking colace, senna and prune juice to no avail. Then I added a senna tea (Smooth Moves) and it did the trick. Drank 2 cups and things started moving just fine! :) After that, I would have a cup of senna tea each morning and never had an issue after that. Might be worth a try.
 
I took all the recommended things for constipation, to no effect. Finally had to send my husband out on a mission to the pharmacy for a mini enema. That did the trick, to my great relief! :tada:
 
Warm liquids like the tea work. When I worked in assisted living we'd put a shot of Milk of Mag in coffee or hot cocoa, crappaccino.

Water, water, water is key to keeping things going, too. Hope you are doing well!


LTKR November 20, 2014
RTKR sometime in 2015
 
My combo of pain meds had me on the upper levels of acceptable acetaminifen, so OS prescribed Ultram for break through pain to be taken in between doses of oxycodone which has me finally comfortable, even after PT. Hoping this continues. Pain this afternoon has been a lot less and I am able to get around so much better. The stirs were a lot easier than I thought they would be. What a difference a few days make!
 
Glad to hear things are now going in the right direction for you and you've got better pain control . Hang in there , it gets easier. Best wishes.
 
BOO trying the sare treatment. Hmmmmm ok paper bag coming of head BOOOOOO

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Did I ever speak too soon! My Pt ( as you all warned me) made me feel quilty that I was not doing enough. Besides 8 hours on the CPM which apparently is my down time, I should be up and around. Doing my exercises 4 times a day. I felt like a slouch, and I was feeling better so I was up a lot, trying to decide if she was right since my swelling has not increased, and my pain levels were tolerable. 5pm hits and I shoot up literally within 10 minutes to and 8 and then a 9 an hour later. shooting pains, aching pains, sharp joint pains. It was at crying and nausea stage, finally subsiding around 9:30. So I obviously did too much and if my knee is not telling me during exertion time, how am I to figure out how much is too much? Trying to listen to my body tell me when enough is enough clearly didn't work. Of course the visiting nurse tells me that her goal for me is getting pain under control. So frustrating. I have a new PT today and will go through all f this with her, Hopefully she will be a little more humane.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom