TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@bluejuju I didn't have to ask for Valium, it was offered.:yes: I will take it mostly at night to help me sleep through the spasms. I saw the APRN today was very pleased with my progress. As I was leaving I saw the surgeon. He said he did a lot of work on the side that is painful for me. He's hoping the stretches will help the spasms go away. They seem to be caused due to the tightness of the muscles and tendons, in my case the hamstring. I'm just hoping I don't get too dizzy with the Valium in case I need to get up at night to use the bathroom. Our stairs are opposite the bathroom.
 
Anyone have any idea what causes these muscle spasms, or how to prevent/reduce them?
According to the OS today, sometimes they are caused due to the tightness of the muscles and tendons. Stretching should help. Let's hope so. They prescribed Valium to help me sleep and relax the muscles. I want to limit taking it during the day, but I will take it at night so I can sleep better.

The visit went real well today. Staples are out and didn't hurt at all!:yes!: I have no steri strips because I react to adhesives. They were concerned about germs so I left with an ace bandage which can be removed while at home, but if I go out, I need to have the incision covered as a precaution. My flexion in the office was 103 so they were very pleased and I very little swelling. So, all in all things are going well. I don't see the surgeon for another 4 weeks unless I have a problem.

I will continue with at home PT for awhile longer. I need the spasms to stop so I can drive myself otherwise I have no way to get to out patient PT. I showered for the first time today and now I am exhausted. Time for a nap. I'll check in again later.:zzz:
 
Such good news!! You will get great relief with the valium as well as a good night sleep. Great ROM....nothing but upwards from now on!!
 
Freedom feels so good!! Today the staples were removed without an ounce of pain. I barely knew she was done. The nurse was terrific!! I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and saw the APRN. I have very little swelling, she did a cold measurement at 103/0 which is pretty good. The incision looked good. The bruising is all but gone. Everyone was very pleased. I shared my concerns with the spasms in my hamstring. Seems it does happen. She prescribed Valium to help relax the muscles. She said to take when I get a spasm. The problem with that is the spasms come without warning. So, I'm not sure how that's going to work. It will, however, help a lot at night, when I get the most and the worse spasms.

As I was leaving I saw the surgeon and he asked how I was doing. I told him great except for the spasms. I asked him what causes them. First, he said, he did a lot of work on the side of the knee that I was having the pain. He then explained that often, the spasms are the result of the muscles and tendons being so tight. So, continue the stretching, icing and the Valium should help.

Not quite ready for out-patient PT since the spasms come without warning and affect my driving leg. Other than that I'm progressing beautifully and I couldn't be happier! I couldn't have made it this far without the support of all of you! Thanks everyone! Let's see how the next 4 weeks go!:wowspring:
 
I'm so pleased...I believe you've made it over the hump! Funny how most everything works out in the end....❤️❤️❤️


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had very tight hamstrings and had to be careful not to try to stretch too far at once. i'm glad the doc prescribed something for you.
You might wake up your husband if you have to get up overnight just to be safe.
 
Quick update...staples are out, and last night was one of my better nights. I still need to sleep with my knee on a pillow. I can't lay flat, the knee just doesn't like it. I took the Valium before bed and it helped with the spasms and helped me sleep as well. But around 3:30 AM or so, I awoke to a strong spasm so I had to take another Valium so I could go back to sleep. To day I worked out with my PT and I was able to get to a flexion of 120. I was really surprised! Next week, we'll try portable bike to get the joint moving a little. But, so far so good.
 
WOW 120 THAT IS GREAT!!!! Such good news - I am so happy for you - that is amazing!!! Almost 3 weeks and you are at 120. I can only hope and pray to be there!! how is the extension going? Do they measure that too??? So happy for you!! Are you still doing PT every day?
 
@iivesfam5 I have an extension of 0. The problem is that I can't keep my leg straight and flat without discomfort as of yet. That was what was causing the spasms. So, I still have to concentrate on stretching the hamstring and calf muscles. Once those are back to normal I should be fine. At least I hope so. PT is down to 3X a week. The surgeons office wanted to go out patient but I convinced them that I wasn't ready because I can't drive yet and I really like the progress I'm making with the PT I'm working with at home.
 
I think that is great @momweb You are doing such a great job!!! I am just praying for those numbers for Lucy and Ethel!!! xxoo I hope you have another good night!!!
 
@momweb don't try to push too much. Let the PT tell you what you can and cannot do. If it hurts, stop and maybe try the next day. : )
 
@momweb
You're really doing very well. With a bend of 120 and full extension (in spite of the spasms) Your ROM is excellent.

It's still very early days, so don't try to do too much. Your knee still needs gentle treatment and time to heal.

Don't rush to start driving again. You should be off all narcotics and have total control of your legs before you do. Make sure that you can do an emergency stop - I practiced by sitting in the car with the engine turned off.
 
Your doing well great bend. Be gentle!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Don't rush to start driving again. You should be off all narcotics and have total control of your legs before you do.
I agree wholeheartedly. That is exactly what I said to the APRN who wanted me to go to out-patient PT. I have no way to get there unless I drive. Since adding the Valium, I'm a little more tired, and a little looser if you know what I mean. Gumby and I could be distant relatives.

I do have a question: When do people begin to wean themselves from a narcotic pain reliever to something not so strong? I'm still using Dilaudid every 4 hours around the clock and now have added the Valium twice a day and then at night as well. I know everyone is different and I know I'm not ready but I was just curious.
 
I think it was about four weeks for me. But occasionally, I still take 2mg of dilaudid at night. I only took the Valium on and off for about two weeks to get through the spasms. Make sure you wean yourself off the dilaudid and not just stop. Maybe cut back to every 6 hrs from 4 hrs, then take 2 mg instead of 4 mg. .. Etc.. Play it by ear. You might still need them after four weeks... But you will know when that pain is gone.
 
The time to start weaning off medications is when you find you're forgetting to take a dose, instead of clock-watching to see when you can take it. As others have said, don't stop suddenly, but either increase the time between doses or take a smaller dose.
Your own doctor may prescribe a step-down drug, weaker than the Dilaudid.
 
iivesfam5, momweb, TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee Hi there!!! Another CT native with a new knee-to-be! I have my surgery scheduled for 8/11 and am reading up on all the info I can. My surgery will be at St. Francis at the Joint Replacement Institute. I haven't even had my surgery yet but have such bad pain and swelling that I already do the icing and elevation. I am really looking forward to getting this done!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom