TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Hi @Cindy knits yeah, the time went by really fast! I'm surprised how good I feel. I still have the issue with the Baker's Cyst which causes pain behind the knee and hinders my ability to bend the knee. So, I've been wearing a compression stocking during the day and icing the devil out of it. The staples come out on Thursday. I can walk without any apparatus but the PT says just because you can doesn't mean you should. So, for tiny distances I use nothing, but most of the time, I use both crutches putting very little weight on them. We are away this weekend, but when I get home, I will start going upstairs to sleep each night. That will be an adventure in itself. Things still move slowly as I'm sure you know. How about you? How are things going for you?
 
The past few days have been hell! PT just left. He listened as I explained close to tears my saga of what's been going on. In his humble "non-medical" opinion, my hamstring is causing me issues. :eeeuw:I literally go into spasms or cramps that are so painful, I am immobilized until they release. Of course, this happens mostly at night when I am lying straight. He gave me some stretches to try, stay hydrated, and keep moving when I can. I probably need a muscle relaxant which I'm hoping the OS will prescribe on Thursday. 2 more days, and the staples come out as well. Maybe then, I'll actually sleep at night and this part of the roller coaster nightmare will be over.:dead:
 
@momweb I am sorry you are having a tough go of it...... I hope everything smooth's out soon!!! Can you call the OS and not wait two more days to see if they will give you a muscle relaxer??
 
Thanks @TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee. The Physical Therapist showed me how to do some deep knuckle massage to hit the muscle. I am constantly massaging which he said was a good thing. One more day and two more nights...I can do this....:sigh:
 
@momweb i feel your frustration and pain. Maybe you are doing too much PT which is causing your pain? I know that knee surgery is not easy and these little issues that come up can be debilitating. Glad your asking your OS for meds. Hopefully they will help. Ask about Robaxin. We all seem to recover different. I am 7 weeks out BTKR doing nicely but my left knee is still tight and I drag it. So my PT gave me more exercises to work those kinks out. Please be patient and keep us posted. : )
 
@momweb, you really are doing well considering it has been only a couple weeks. My primary doctor gave me an anti-anxiety med for night time and that worked well too. Give your doc a call right away so you are not waiting and suffering. It is so hard to get comfortable when you are trying to sleep. I started sleeping on my right side with my new knee just slightly bent after the first couple weeks, that might help your muscle cramps. Try to remember, recovery is not a sprint, its a marathon and slow and steady wins the race! Keep up the good work and hope you are feeling better:ice:
 
Oh no.....you poor thing, it sounds like you've hit some bumps in the road. But, you seem to be very proactive and I'm sure you'll keep asking for help until you figure out what works for you. Hang in there girl....this will soon be behind you and will be a distant memory. Promise......❤️❤️❤️❤️
 
Thanks @Cindy knits when is your left knee scheduled for surgery? You just say July. I was expecting bumps, this is a mountain and I'm straddling the top not sure how to get over. Hope the ride down is fun and pain free.
 
@momweb- I was having the same issue with muscle spasms. I saw my OS last Thursday and he prescribed Flexeril. I was better after 1 dose. But a word of caution: I took a pill the next 2 nights and it must not mix well with Tramadol because I had really bad vertigo on Sunday. In fact I had such a violent dizzy spell in the bathroom I almost fell. Fortunately I was able to grab the sink and door and steady myself until it passed. I have problems with vertigo off and on anyway, but I haven't taken anymore of the Flexeril and I've been fine. Just be careful mixing narcotics with muscle relaxants because it can cause problems.
 
@Gigi32 I took muscle relaxants once when I was in my 20's and I remember they made me a little dizzy as well. I will ask about that should the Doctor prescribe them. Did your doc say what causes these muscle spasms because man, they are wicked. I'd be in heaven with how well I'm doing if I didn't have them.
 
My OS just felt it was a temporary nerve related issue. Mine wasn't just my hamstring but my whole leg. My foot and ankle were the worst. Heat has really helped - my trusty heating pad stays plugged in by my bed. You just have to be careful not to let the heat on your knee at this point because it can increase your swelling.
 
@momweb.. I experienced the same thing when I was in the hospital- excruciating muscle spasms in my hamstring. They gave me valium which seemed to work well. Was sent home with about 10 pills since they really don't like mixing narcotics with it. But it got me through the really bad night's when my hamstrings wanted to get up and dance- also helped me to sleep as well. Otherwise, sounds like you are progressing very well!!!
 
My left knee is scheduled for 7-27.....I try not to think about it too much as it makes me anxious! It's less than three weeks away and it seems overwhelming. I honestly done know how people do bilateral.....it's a mystery to me!

Hope you're getting some relief.....it's just too bad you're having issues.
 
LOL @Cindy knits I would be afraid that I would never do my second knee...... So it is like ripping off the band-aid nice and fast and being done!! I know it will all hurt but then it will be done.
 
@Cindy knits and @iivesfam5 I could never have done a bilateral, even with the pain issues I'm having now. I'm ready to book the other knee. I was ready to do it early this fall, but my hubby wants to go away on vacation, so I will wait until next spring when the weather gets better. It makes a difference being able to go outside and take a walk even if it is a short one. I see the doctor tomorrow, staples are removed and hopefully some answers about the spasms. I had a better night last night, so we shall see. One step forward, 2 steps back, but then somedays 3 days forward. Strange roller coaster, to be sure.

Don't worry @Cindy knits we'll keep you grounded.
 
@momweb... you are so right by saying two steps forward three steps back. Even at 9 weeks, I can tell when I over do it. Had a great PT session on tues- did ten mins on bike, ten minutes on nustep, some weight presses of 65 lbs-even had me kneeling- now today I'm swollen up like a puffer fish. I felt so good yesterday, too. Oh well, pass the ice will ya.
 
@bluejuju PT "yelled" at me today because I wanted to show how I could bend and went too fast. Dumb move on my part. :bignono: I didn't think....I just moved. Sometimes we forget these new knees want pampering even when they ask for it. I've got plenty of ice to share!!:ice:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom